Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Jeremy Clarkson Says Speeding Makes You Clever
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeremy Clarkson Says Speeding Makes You Clever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about me, I spent 3 weeks being taught to drive safely at well above the limits that are legal for most drivers and using the myriad of other legal exemptions I have when on blue lights.

You on the other hand just 'think' you're safe ... I wish you well but fear it will not end well, I just hope when that day comes you don't injure or kill someone else. I also hope you see the error of your ways before that day comes, but I suspect like most drivers who believe their skill level is better than it actually is that is unlikely.

Last edited by sussamb on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Would you have us incredibly hypocritical members of the holier than thou brigade believe that your policy is to exceed the speed limit SOLELY on deserted motorways in good weather? [By the way, my interpretation of the term ‘incredibly hypocritical’ is ‘not hypocritical’ :-)].

No - sussamb asked for an example, and so I gave one. If you agree with sussamb, then you obviously feel that driving at 71mph on a deserted motorway in good conditions is dangerous. On the other hand, if you don't think that it's dangerous, then where do you draw your line? 72mph? 73mph? 85mph? 120mph? Motorway with very light traffic? Deserted dual carriageway?

That's the problem with the simplistic view that an arbitrary limit - which is often set for reasons which have nothing whatsoever to do with road safety - should be the sole arbiter of "safe" driving.

Me? I always drive at a speed that I believe to be safe for the conditions. Sometimes that's higher than the posted speed limit. Often that's lower than the posted speed limit.

But thanks everybody for helping to provide me (and thousands like me) with a mechanism that greatly helps reduce the risk of detection!

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
But thanks everybody for helping to provide me (and thousands like me) with a mechanism that greatly helps reduce the risk of detection

I assure you that's the least of your worries Rolling Eyes
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Don't worry about me, I spent 3 weeks being taught to drive safely at well above the legal limits and using the myriad of other legal exemptions I have when on blue lights.

But I do worry - you might be on the same road as me, and despite the training you have been provided with, you very obviously are prepared to drive by rote, rather than actually thinking about what you are doing. Fortunately I factor drivers like you in to my risk assessment.

I note that you steadfastly refuse to say (1) whether you think that 71mph on a deserted motorway is safe or not, and (2) why you contribute to a site whose primary aim is to help motorists avoid detection for driving above the speed limit!

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're clearly deranged if you think blue light training teaches you to drive by rote, and having a reasonable discussion with those who are deranged is pointless so I'm not going to waste my time.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You're clearly deranged if you think blue light training teaches you to drive by rote, and having a reasonable discussion with those who are deranged is pointless so I'm not going to waste my time.

So when you are unable to justify the nonsense that you spout, you instead resort to an ad hominem attack and then run away and hide. Classy.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for god's sake STFU Philip. Stop trolling. Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Davidonly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
sussamb wrote:
So I was right. What you mean is you want the choice to disobey the law whenever you feel it's safe to do so? As already pointed out, those who feel they have the ability to make those calls often end up killing themselves or others as their skill level is nowhere near as good as they mistakenly believe it to be Rolling Eyes

Oh, I already have the choice to disobey the law whenever I want - as does every other motorist (and, indeed, every other citizen).

You do, however, appear to be incapable of understanding the difference between driving within the law and driving safely - despite the two often being different. That is very worrying in somebody who claims to have passed multiple advance driving tests and to have driven blue lights.

Most of the posters here are a lost cause my friend when it comes to the 'law' around speed. They are really, really nice chaps when it comes to GPS tech and devices etc.

I too think the irony of posting on a speed-camera database forum (the very best one going) that the law is never wrong and one MUST NEVER exceed even the most insanely low limit is lost on them.

I also think the stressful driving mentioned early in the thread was amusing. Even if you are not 'speeding' that continuous observation is surely what makes for a safe driver. Too chilled out and you are a brain in neutral type one step off a MLM.

If have been driving a long time in a series of competent vehicles (most recent an E46M3). I have tracked them and on the road ALWAYS drive to the conditions. Often that might be a different speed than the limit that some desk-bound do-gooder made up. I am better placed than they to decide what's appropriate. 70 mph is clearly outdated for a start - can't see why we need any limit on our better motorways in light traffic. And 30mph DC's are a joke.

PGPSW database helps me do that and avoid incurring a 'police waiver' (another travesty). So i think it's great!

I also agree with Jezza.

Merry Christmas everyone Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these speeders make me shudder. Here I am minding my own business when suddenly a brilliant driver rockets past out of nowhere Burn In Hell and blasts my van sideways with his/her slipstream. At least the police Range Rovers do it with blue lights and sirens warning me to hang onto my hat. Driving

I've searched my Acronym website database and find MLM is Mailing List Manager, E46M3 is Not Found, 30mph DC's doesn't register either (well it does, Direct Current but I can't see the relevance). Anybody offer anything intelligible please?

Footnote to brilliant drivers - Please let the rest of us into your secret codeword world of brilliance by occasionally inserting the full thingy.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E46M3 is a BMW.
DC is dual carriageway.

Dales
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, a BMW, that explains it all. A black one perhaps?

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how many BMW you see in traffic collisions. Problem is many of their owners haven't even learnt to indicate let alone drive competently Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8 posted the key here ..... Don't feel the troll

He knows far more than the experts and will wind up in a hospital, or worse, because he knows best. Someone will do something unexpected and he will be travelling too fast to react.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Amazing how many BMW you see in traffic collisions. Problem is many of their owners haven't even learnt to indicate let alone drive competently Rolling Eyes
Kremmen wrote:
Someone will do something unexpected and he will be travelling too fast to react.

No, he won't. Remember
Davidonly wrote:
If have been driving a long time in a series of competent vehicles (most recent an E46M3).
He is fortunate enough to 'drive' a series of vehicles which are competent, he doesn't need to be competent himself. By contrast, my van is incompetent, so I don't let it go off on its own much.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: