Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driver location sign POI for UK motorways and A roads?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driver location sign POI for UK motorways and A roads?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Driver location sign POI for UK motorways and A roads? Reply with quote

I've just discovered the meaning of Driver Location Signs on motorways and A roads (it seems that I'm not alone as 76% of drivers apparently do not know what the signs represent) and I was wondering if there's a POI that is always kept up-to-date that the general public can download?

Whilst I'm not with any of the emergency services it would be great to have a Driver Location Signs POI on the SatNav (with no icon as they would be numerous) in case any family or friends ever break down and need picking up or fuel etc. They could look at the nearest Driver Location Sign and that should be enough to find them.

For those 76%, Driver Location Signs contain the following information:
  • The road identifier: The top line indicates the road you’re on, for example M1, M6, A40.
  • The carriageway identifier: The middle line will be either ‘A’ or ‘B’, this indicates which direction you’re travelling. ‘A’ can refer to northbound, the side on which the numbers increase or Away from London. ‘B’ refers to either southbound, the side on which the junction numbers decrease, or Back to London.
  • The location: The bottom line displays how far you’ve travelled from a given location, normally the start of the motorway or A road. This is in kilometres.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were every mile and in the olden days accompanied by a telephone to HQ.

If so then that would be some database.

Just get a phone tracker like 'Realtime GPS Tracker' from GreenAlp and it's job done.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just tap the vehicle icon on your Garmin satnav. That gives you all sorts of info including your location.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your MAC certainly screws up some characters, or is it my computer?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Screwed up on mine too.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

No it's you Laughing
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We called them Marker Posts. And in case you don’t know, there are 100 metre smaller posts in between them. They are marked decimals from the main post, for example main post number 45, intermediates marked 45.1, 45.2, 45.3 etc. Most significantly, each of those small posts also has a small telephone symbol and an arrow pointing in the direction of the nearest emergency phone - walk forward or backwards to the nearest one.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
We called them Marker Posts

Dennis is right, those are Marker Posts but I'm laking about Driver Location Signs which occur every 500 metres and are generally next to the 100 metre Marker Posts. Here's an example of what the Driver Location Signs look like:

M8TJT wrote:

Oh dear! Rolling Eyes I noticed that for the last few days some other posts (by Windows users?) have had screwed up characters for me (I'm guessing apostrophes, single , and double quotes, etc). I've not updated either my OS or my browser so don't know why that is! Evil or Very Mad

sussamb wrote:
Or just tap the vehicle icon on your Garmin satnav. That gives you all sorts of info including your location.

Yes, but what if the person who calls me hasn't got a Garmin or any other SatNav?

Say I get a phone call in the middle of the night from somebody saying "I've broken down / run out of fuel on the motorway" and when I ask them where they are and what's their nearest blue Driver Location Sign, they reply "M40, A, 75.0" I'd search for that in the POI and get directed to 51.721536,-1.044703, which is about half a mile south of Junction 7 on the north bound carriageway of the M40.

Kremmen wrote:
I thought they were every mile and in the olden days accompanied by a telephone to HQ.

Driver Location Signs are a relatively new addition to the motorway and trunk road network and for now exist only in England and in the Republic of Ireland. They are erected in addition to marker posts and are for motorists to identify the location of an emergency or defect. They were introduced in England in 2003 or 2007 (depending on which website you read), apparently at the same time as the deployment of Highways Agency Traffic Officers across the trunk road network.

Kremmen wrote:
If so then that would be some database.

For the UK motorway network probably around 20,000 this number is based on an article in Wikipedia that states in 2009 financial year, 80 percent of England's motorway network had been fitted with 16,000 driver location signs at a cost of £5.9 million (about £570 each).

I don't think that there's a database for Driver Location Signs as somebody used FOI to request just that, but instead they were given the details of the locations of the marker posts that occur every 100 metres and there are around 88,240 of these marker posts. Unfortunately, the details are in OSGB and not longitude and latitude. For further details please see link.

Kremmen wrote:
Just get a phone tracker like 'Realtime GPS Tracker' from GreenAlp and it's job done.

Yep, what if they haven't got anything but a dumb mobile phone? Laughing

I have googled and can't find a POI of Driver Location Signs, but somebody here may know, especially a member of the emergency services. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps that should be something tagged to the mapping software rather than a POI, similar to the road identifier top right on my TT.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Yes, but what if the person who calls me hasn't got a Garmin or any other SatNav?

Yep, what if they haven't got anything but a dumb mobile phone? Laughing

Simply unfriend them and block their phone number - then you don't have to go out to help. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: