Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom gprs tracking, anyone done it, anyone want it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom gprs tracking, anyone done it, anyone want it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: TomTom gprs tracking, anyone done it, anyone want it? Reply with quote

We have a requirement for this, we are already using tomtom 3 on Axmins, it works very, very well.

We have a couple of customers who require tracking systems, integrated sat nav etc.

I thought we could get the sdk, write an app to take the sat nav position from tomtom, squirt it over gprs to our server and then use that info to show the location on a map viewable over the internet. The user would then be able to use a thin application to send a new location to the unit which the driver can then acknowledge, there would also be an option to auto route to the location.

Before I get a long way into this has anyone done it? If so can you give me details?

Would anyone be interested in such an application, if we develop it then we would be able to offer it as a service or stand alone app, would anyone want to use it?

I'd appreciate some feedback.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

I would be interested in seeing an application that could track multiple users and display their positions online back at base via a website.

If you could develop that, then another idea would be for vehicles to be able to determine the whereabouts of other vehicles of the same fleet and track them within TomTom.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have developed a system that will do that for the company I work for, albeit running off a GPRS telematics unit. As this is not the place for a commercial discussion I will PM davidd.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david could you pls pm or mail me to as somrthing like this interests me 2

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not based on TomTom, but anyone had any experience with this system from Directions?
davidd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuke wrote:
Not based on TomTom, but anyone had any experience with this system from Directions?

That look slike a black box to me, no driver interface so althouhg I could do the tracking part of the project I'd have to use something else for the driver interface. It is also GSM, I'd rather use GPRS as I think it will prove cheaper (although I'm prepared to be proved wrong). I think a PDA based solution is tthe way forward.

D
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david copilot covers everthing you want to do have you thought of that option. ive got your pm and ill reply on friday hopefully if i get home

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
davidd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
david copilot covers everthing you want to do have you thought of that option. ive got your pm and ill reply on friday hopefully if i get home

I've never looked at copilot as tomtom seemed to do everything we needed it to. I have had a look at the copilot website and the level of informaiton is very poor, as is their lack of response to my email. Does anyone have a contact there I could deal with, or a number for tomtom?

Thanks

D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: