Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another stupid diversion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another stupid diversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Another stupid diversion Reply with quote

My trusty Driveluxe couldn't resist diverting me off a perfectly good main(ish) road again today. When I got home, I checked where BaseCamp would have sent me and that created a much more sensible route. Why can't we have the options on our sat nav that BaseCamp has to enable us to have more sensible route planning?

Here's the route data:-

https://app.box.com/s/sdvrvrrxf419w6wtlgg99fgkf454flus
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raise this with Garmin. It works both ways though. I had to travel from Worthing to Woking last week. My Garmin plotted a route up the A23 then M25 then A3. I went cross country via Guildford. Just as quick and shorter. Your satnav is only a guide, not to be followed exactly.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just sent the same enquiry to Garmin. I've also raised this as a general issue with Here maps, so it should be interesting to see what, if any, response I get. I'll post any replies into this thread as they arrive.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink good luck
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some response from my contact at Garmin. Initially, he asked me the following question:-

"Was the unit supposed to stay on Callow Hill Ln at this location, and took Love Lyne Rd instead?"

I responded:-

"Well, that would have been the logical thing to have done as I'm sure you would agree if you look at the two photographs I have attached. But no, the route was planned on the sat nav as it was a last-minute decision and I hadn't had an opportunity to pre-plan a more sensible route. The point I was trying to make is that if BaseCamp can plan a decent route (if the settings are adjusted as I have done in the image below) then why can't the sat nav? We definitely need more options to be able to avoid these kind of roads unless we actually have a need to go down one of them (e.g., to visit an address on such a road)."

The reply I have received is:-

"Thanks for the additional information. I will review this and see what issues are occurring.
Sometimes the unit software varies from the BaseCamp software and even other GPS devices, so this route could work as expected in a few units and not in others. If so, I will send this to engineering to update the software."

I'll let you know if I receive any further updates.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would have mentioned Basecamp because they may get confused, poor souls.

Just tell them the PND has a routing issue - KISS
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: