Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom V 1.29
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom V 1.29

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: TomTom V 1.29 Reply with quote

iOS app update to 1.29 is available in the App Store.

Has anyone installed this yet, wanted to know whether it works, or whether it is boobytrapped to try and force you to "downgrade" to TomTom GO "Fisher Price edition"

TomTom no longer allow discussion of alternatives and censor and remove any comments or discussion of them.

Clearly they don't subscribe to the principle of free speech!

Here are some posts (since removed) providing former TomTom users / customers with valuable information on suitable alternatives;

https://web.archive.org/web/20170915074845/https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-go-mobile-and-navigation-for-iphone-ipad-29/original-ios-app-end-of-life-in-september-1020761/index7.html/
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reluctant to download the update 1.29 as previous experience recently has been bad.
I am concerned they may have further degraded functionality to try and make you switch to the GO app.
Has anyone been brave enough to try it?
Geoffporter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: tomtom 1.29 Reply with quote

Downloaded update but just tried it only to find all the recent destinations and favourites have disappeared. Don't know how to get them back, admittedly I was sharing the app with my son who was the original purchaser.
However I notice in the maps on iOS 11 that the speed limit can now be displayed so maybe I will be forced to use this.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom 1.29 Reply with quote

Geoffporter wrote:
However I notice in the maps on iOS 11 that the speed limit can now be displayed so maybe I will be forced to use this.

Would you please clarify that?

The v1.28 app on iOS 10 shows the alleged speed limit, when it's known.

BTW, I still haven't downloaded v1.29 and I'm still on iOS 10. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of files that seem to store this kind of info, one of them is mapsettings.cfg.
Unfortunately you need a computer with something like imazing to access these.
I normally make a backup before any updates, then copy my backed up version to the iPhone.

So far I've managed to preserve my recent history and other configurations.

Thanks for the heads up on the updated app working correctly, I will now chance an update when I get home!

Did you update both the app and to iOS 11?
Geoffporter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: TomTom 1.29 Reply with quote

Re my recent post, There was an update to TomTom that took me to ver 1.29 a few days ago. I upgraded to iOS 11, yesterday and it was only today that I looked on TomTom and found that the historical favourites and destinations had gone. My other remarks about the speed limit displaying in maps is with regard to the existing maps app on the iPhone, this was a desired feature for me from a while ago. Sorry for any confusion.
I will still continue with TomTom - it is still the best navigation app as far as I am concerned and have been using it since it was released.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just taken the plunge and updated to 1.29.

So far so good, my recent destinations are still there!

Haven't updated to iOS 11 yet though!
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you switch to the go app, if like android version you have to start paying a subscription to use it.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
If you switch to the go app, if like android version you have to start paying a subscription to use it.

As you will see my post was from September, there’s a lot of water under the bridge since then.
I now use an iPhone navigation app where I don’t pay a ransom each month and I get great if not better traffic info.
TomTom was good for the 13+ years I used them, but the game moved on and left them behind.
The GO app is an indication of how wrong you can get something when you ignore your (formerly) loyal customers feedback. The App Store feedback makes this all too painfully obvious!
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
walkerx wrote:

As you will see my post was from September, there’s a lot of water under the bridge since then.
I now use an iPhone navigation app where I don’t pay a ransom each month and I get great if not better traffic info.
TomTom was good for the 13+ years I used them, but the game moved on and left them behind.
The GO app is an indication of how wrong you can get something when you ignore your (formerly) loyal customers feedback. The App Store feedback makes this all too painfully obvious!

I never saw that date Sad but what I mention may also help others if looking for info on it. But agree TT have upset a lot of customers with their changes, and myself have stopped using my go5000 and also the TT app

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: