Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dying Go 1005 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dying Go 1005 Live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmm-five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Dying Go 1005 Live Reply with quote

I've got two questions at the bottom of the post if you want to skip the commentary...

It looks like I'll be needed a new sat-nav soon as my Go1005 Live is not charging/holding a charge.

I replaced the battery last year, and that has lasted 9 months before similar symptoms appeared, but another replacement battery has not solved the issue.

If I plug the charge cable into the unit, then it lights up/switches on, but does not offer any live services due to low power. If I unplug the cable, it instantly switches off.

I've left it on charge (with unit switched off) for up to 12 hours, and the moment I unplug the cable it switches off.

Battery status says "Source: battery power" and "Status: 0% power remaining"

My final test will be to replace the charging lead in case the original is faulty, but if it's not that, then I assume it's the internal charging circuit which is faulty.

I was considering changing it for a newer model at some, but I see they're a bit useless for custom POIs and alerts, so they're out of the picture, so I thought I'd continue with this one for a while and had recently purchased the 18 month maps, and 12 month Live services.

...so the questions are...

1) If I buy a refurb 1005, can I transfer the remaining 17 months maps & 11 months Live services over?

If I can't then I might as well buy a new sat-nav, from another manufacturer - due to being fed up of TomTom removing functions all the time, so...

2) Is there any manufacturer that allows me to load PGPS warning, custom icons, custom POIs (and grouping/folders if poss), custom alerts, pre-recorded routes, etc. (i.e. like my old Go 720 did)?

Thanks,
Tony
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dying Go 1005 Live Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

mmm-five wrote:
1) If I buy a refurb 1005, can I transfer the remaining 17 months maps & 11 months Live services over?

Sorry don't know. I would suggest that you contact TomTom help desk and see if they are able to transfer maps and services to another device. I guess that it would make things easier if you used the same account.

mmm-five wrote:
2) Is there any manufacturer that allows me to load PGPS warning, custom icons, custom POIs (and grouping/folders if poss), custom alerts, pre-recorded routes, etc. (i.e. like my old Go 720 did)?

Don't look at TomTom - their products have been dumbed down so much that they are about as basic a SatNav as you can get. I've see the TomTom iPhone GO Mobile app (that was released 18 months ago) referred to as a "Fisher Price" SatNav and I think that label is quite accurate.

If you're looking for a PND then I think that the only brand to go for is Garmin, and I think the models to go for may be LMT-D 50 or 51 if the 50 is no longer available. Have a look at the "Need a New Sat Nav.....some Questions" thread for more information.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a little more dash space (and cash) and want a 7" satnav in a 6" package, have a look at the Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-D. Currently £249.99 with a £20 gift voucher thrown in, making £229.99 Halfords. Possibly cheaper elsewhere
mmm-five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both.

I think Garmin was my go-to solution if I can't repair/replace the 1005.

The 61-LMTD looks perfect. Do the Garmins have a built-in SIM, or do you need to use a data connection to you phone?
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMT-D means the device will has digital traffic (dab) either built-in or via the power adaptor

you can still use the smartlink app if needed to, but it will over-ride the traffic on the device itself
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm-five wrote:
Do the Garmins have a built-in SIM,
No
Quote:
or do you need to use a data connection to you phone?
Only if you use the Smartlink. DAB Traffic is built in and 'free'.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to transferring your TomTom subscriptions to a refurb 1005. It used to be the case that if you got the same model you could register it using the same email address as the old one. It would ask if you wanted to use that registration on this device and you said yes. Then the new one took over the registrations of the old one and didn't need to get in touch with TomTom at all.

It's a long time since I last did this, so I can't guarantee the method still works, it certainly did last time I did so - it took over my map update subscription and downloaded the latest map I had bought. You'd need to copy/save your POIs and mapsettings.cfg onto your PC to copy/paste into the new device. I did it with GO520 and GO550 (old fashioned ones which worked properly, not the new fashioned rubbish).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest Dennis, what will you do when the last of your TomTom units fail or get retired?

Will you move to a Garmin unit and if so which of the current range would you pick if you had to now?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what I'll do! I did once try a Garmin and it didn't last longer than it took me to take it back and swap for a TomTom - I was rather disappointed that it told me about a country border when I drove within a few miles of Wales and the screen display was more like a comic book than anything. So I haven't even looked at a Garmin replacement to consider.

I currently run with three TomTom units :-

Renault built in R-Link TomTom, which would be absolutely perfect but for all its faults (not least of which is the customer support which is worse than TT, would you believe?). They've just released UKROI map v980, (for £40 of course), replacing v955 issued last November, when other TT customers first got v980!! Mind you, map v955 DID give the correct location for CF10 4GA, whereas every map since then is wrong! (Compare it with Royal Mail Postcode Finder).

GO520. The only fault with this is sadly it isn't a Live model (and the screen calibration has become just a bit dodgy - I've done a few adjustments to get it back to close to accurate). And of course, TT are going to axe it soon, but I do have map update service until 19th May 2019. Like all other recent maps, postcodes are unreliable.

GO6100. It sort of works and has free map updates. But it's the worst of the three. Like all other recent maps, postcodes are unreliable.

I have occasionally given Google maps a try on my iPhone, but not seriously - I don't think it gave voice instructions. Anyway, I use CamerAlert in foreground and don't want anything else there. TomTom on the iPhone I find pretty useless - I tried both on the plane to and from Greece recently and they were rubbish most of the time. I don't have time or inclination to try and suss out the mysteries TomTom have now developed (or rather, de-developed).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mmm-five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a chat is needed with the ever-helpful TomTom support team, before I decide to drive over my 'old' 1005 then!
nibor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm-five wrote:
Looks like a chat is needed with the ever-helpful TomTom support team, before I decide to drive over my 'old' 1005 then!

Have you tried cleaning the plug and socket with IPA isopropanol? or a new lead and USB cigar plug.
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not charging. Check that the little magnets the connector on are still there.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking about Garmin but I'd rather have an app on my iPhone than a separate PND. The Navigon app would have been ideal as it's owned by Garmin but unlike the Garmin PNDs, the Navigon app doesn't take custom POIs - which is annoying and therefore out of the question.

If I did go to a separate device then Garmin with its ability to take custom POIs would be potential. While Garmin does have its advocates, I'm worried that as a long term TomTom user, I'd find the transition to Garmin strange.

DennisN wrote:
TomTom on the iPhone I find pretty useless - I tried both on the plane to and from Greece recently and they were rubbish most of the time.

That's a shame, I like the old TomTom legacy iOS app (current and last version 1.28 or 1.28.1 depending on whether you have UK&I or Europe versions). I could load up my custom POIs, use traffic, and if I need to capture a new POI I could use the POIViewer app and then once I was back home add the new data to my custom POI and load it onto the app.

DennisN wrote:
I don't have time or inclination to try and suss out the mysteries TomTom have now developed (or rather, de-developed).

I agree, the current TomTom iOS GO Mobile app has limited functions, is dangerous (seriously bad lags at junctions especially roundabouts) and ridiculously large and unnecessary 3D maps.

At the moment (Tuesday 15th August 2017) TomTom will have to do something amazing and very quickly for me to consider ever buying a TomTom SatNav ever again, or even consider buying anything with the TomTom name.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mmm-five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nibor wrote:
mmm-five wrote:

Have you tried cleaning the plug and socket with IPA isopropanol? or a new lead and USB cigar plug.

Have cleaned, air-dusted, disassembled,and replaced leads/batteries.

This is the first time a new battery/cable hasn't solved the issue - although I noticed the batteries were lasting less time each time (was 16 months, then 10 months, then 6 months).

It's obviously getting enough power from the cable to power up - when connected to the charger cable (via car or wall-socket). But the battery status says it's on battery power (it's not) and it's not charging (duh!).

The moment I remove the lead, the device switches off - and at no time can I use the Live services as 'battery power too low'.

I originally assumed the lead/circuit was providing enough to keep it powered up, but not enough to charge - but leaving it switched off overnight on a wall-powered charge resulted in the same 0% battery 12 hours later.

TomTom support have been helpful so far, but have asked me to try a new cable (which I just have) and then they'll see if they can offer a repair/replacement (it's over 5 years old, so I doubt it), but they've been silent on my request to transfer the remaining 17 months of my Live/Map services.

Last edited by mmm-five on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mmm-five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, whilst browsing/shopping for a replacement 1005 Live, I noticed that there were a couple of versions available.

Mine is a 4CQ02 model, and one of the ones I saw was a 1CQ02, another a 2CQ02.

What's the difference between the three versions, and is the 4CQ02 the latest version (i.e. 4 being higher than 2 or 1)?

Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: