Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 2599LMT-D Vehicle power lead. How special?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 2599LMT-D Vehicle power lead. How special?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiriusHardware
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Garmin 2599LMT-D Vehicle power lead. How special? Reply with quote

OK, so my other half who is notoriously disaster prone when it comes to gadgets managed to

a) Leave the end of the vehicle power lead trailing out through the passenger door, then

b) Run over it when reversing. The delicate little USB plug on the end of the lead, formerly 3D, is now 2D.

So obviously I'm aware that this unit has digital traffic, and suspected that the lead might incorporate the antenna for digital traffic reception (am I right about that?)

I assumed I was, and decided to play safe and go to Garmin UK's store to get the right replacement lead, and they only list this one:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/112879

This looks absolutely identical to the original lead in every respect save one: The LED on the unit illustrated is blue. The LED on the original version is amber. It has to be said however that the 'Compatible devices' list for the one in the link above includes the 2599LMT-D.

What worried me is that the part number given on that page was completely different:-

For the one illustrated,
010-11838-00

From the original unit,
320-00239-80

So, I went to my local Halfords tonight and found the same lead-for-all-Garmin-units (with Blue LED) as the one illustrated on Garmin's website and for the same price, took a chance and bought it.

The part number on the box is the same as the one on the website, 010-11838-00. However, when I took it out and looked at the power plug assembly itself, the part number is

320-00239-70

...as against

320-00239-80

...for the original.

What's the difference? Are Garmin trying to mess with our minds or is the colour of the LED the only reason for that difference in part numbers? I've emailed Garmin particularly to ask about whether the blue led variant lead supports the digital traffic feature on the 2599LMT-D or not, but no reply from them on this as yet.

If you have a 2599LMT-D or other LMT-D unit of similar vintage with digital traffic, what colour is the LED on your vehicle charging lead's plug?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the digital traffic the lead needs to be a TA10 or TA20. Power wise they are all the same.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colour of the LED is irrelevant. I have 3 TA20 leads and the LED is blue on all three, although as I said it is relevant. But it must have either TA10 or TA20 on it. The ultimate test is whether it will receive traffic. If it's the wrong lead, you will get a message that's along the lines of "The power lead that you have connected is not compatible with Traffic. Once as a big popup when you connect it and another on the Traffic display. The charging will be fine, it's whether traffic works or not that matters.
SiriusHardware
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, thanks for that info.

I've just looked and the original lead (amber LED) has the model number TA10, and the new lead (identical looking, except that it has a blue LED) has the model number TA20. I didn't notice those model numbers before, I was looking at the much longer p/n (part numbers).

I think it would be reasonable to assume, in that case, that the LED colour change was adopted as a simple visual way of distinguishing the TA10 from the TA20.

I don't have the Satnav available to try with the lead just now, but will report back. From what you both say, it sounds hopeful.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TA10 is amber, and came with my 2599 LMT-D when new.
Shows traffic just great.

Dales.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TA 10 and TA20 are both traffic compatible (as long as they are 'original' and not an eBay jobbie). What the difference is other than the LED colour, who knows.
SiriusHardware
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:

My TA10 is amber, and came with my 2599 LMT-D when new.

Yes, our original TA10 (also with Amber LED) came with the SatNav and worked fine with traffic before She Who Must Be Obeyed ran it over with her car.

The TA20 I've just obtained came from Halfords (A motor accessory chain store, for those not in the UK). I have reasonable confidence they will be supplying the genuine Garmin article. At the time of writing, their price for the TA20 is ~18GBP, the same as the price Garmin themselves sell it for from their UK online store.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read somewhere that Garmin were to replace their standard power cable, available in stores and online, with the traffic compatible one.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
SiriusHardware
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

The new TA20 (Blue LED) vehicle power lead as currently (June 2017) supplied by the Garmin UK website and by Halfords DOES work with the digital traffic feature of our 2599LMT-D.

The original TA10 (Amber LED) lead supplied with the 2599LMT-D from new also worked with digital traffic before it got wrecked.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between TA10 and TA20 power adaptors is the supply current.
TA10 = 1 Amp
TA20 = 2 Amp

The TA20 should charge your Satnav faster than the TA10.

I paid about £12 a few weeks ago on a genuine new TA20 from ebay.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 'genuine' TA20 from eBay. Looked identical, but Traffic didn't work.

As both my 3599 and my 2699 take less than 1 amp on charge, regardless of the current availability from the charger, I don't think that going from a 1A charger to a 2A charger will make any difference as the Garmin will only draw as much current as it needs, which seems to be less than 1A.
SiriusHardware
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technik, thanks for that info regarding the differences between the TA10 and TA20, although I agree with M8TJT that the ampage referred to will be the maximum that the lead can supply, not necessarily the amount that the Satnav will draw from it.

The Satnav will probably just draw whatever charge current it always did, something less than 1A which was the maximum available from the TA10 lead supplied with it.

It is possible that the lead has some kind of intelligence (a little microchip) in it which the Satnav can interrogate over the data wires of the USB connection (Are you a genuine Garmin lead? If so, what's the maximum current you can let me have? Do you have a traffic antenna built in?) - that's quite plausible as the Satnav units do seem to be able to tell more or less immediately when the lead is / is not compatible / capable.

M8TJT, did your satnav actually tell you, in words, in an on screen message, that the ebay lead was not traffic compatible? Or did it just 'not work'?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I bought a 'genuine' TA20 from eBay. Looked identical, but Traffic didn't work.

Mine works fine with my 2599 digital traffic, and it was only £10.99
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than Garmin price then.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: