Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 13,000 Drivers Ticketed By Newport M4 Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

13,000 Drivers Ticketed By Newport M4 Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: 13,000 Drivers Ticketed By Newport M4 Cameras Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android (phones and tablets)

Speed cameras have ticketed over 13,000 drivers on the M4 in south east Wales.

The average speed cameras were only activated in October last year despite being in place since 2011.

They monitor a variable speed limit stretch of 20-70mph from junction 24 to junction 28 in the Newport area.

A Welsh Government spokesman commented: "Although it's still relatively early days in terms of measuring the success of the system, it is encouraging that compliance with the speed limits continues to improve, enabling the system to work as intended."

In the scheme of things, 13,000 is a low percentage when compared to the huge amount of traffic that pass these cameras, but it is still surprising that even this amount of motorists appear to misunderstand point-to-point cameras. I would imagine a £100 fine landing on their doormat will educate them pretty quickly.

Source
email icon

figgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Are they average speed cameras? Reply with quote

Hi, in your article, you mention that they are average variable speed cameras, the BBC article does not. I use this route twice a week and am surprised to read that they are variable, as I don't recall seeing any signs to that effect and our speed camera database does not list them as so.

Which is correct?

Thank you,

Jeremy Pope.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are they average speed cameras? Reply with quote

figgy wrote:
Hi, in your article, you mention that they are average variable speed cameras, the BBC article does not. I use this route twice a week and am surprised to read that they are variable, as I don't recall seeing any signs to that effect and our speed camera database does not list them as so.

Which is correct?

Thank you,

Jeremy Pope.

I live a mile from the M4 stretch in question and have to pass under J26 to get to the centre of Newport.
The 'Go Live' boards were displayed on the slip road for several weeks and similarly the Overhead Displays on the Motorway.
I can't comment on the PGPS database as I no longer subscribe since I retired but my Navigon shows them and has done so (erroneously) since 2011!
C1Man (Tim)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is interesting about all this is that there are no SPECS (average speed) cameras (either live or unverified) in this area on the M4 on the submission map, just variable speed gatsos and the overhead speed limit signs on the gantrys (streetview) and various press releases/verifier's comments suggest (and confirm) that it is a variable speed zone.

So I'm not certain what figgy is implying, as they are in our database, they are in a variable speed zone, they are shown as variable speed, but they are not shown as average speed specs. So is figgy querying the camera type or the variable speed aspect?
As he drives past the area twice a week and surely can tell the difference between specs and fixed cameras, he is ideally placed to confirm specs or variable speed fixed ?
Going by the BBC report and the evidence we have to hand from our verifiers, it seems that the BBC report was miss-quoted above and they are just variable speed fixed cams.
figgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damit! Sad Embarassed What I should have said was:

Hi, in your article, you mention that they are average variable speed cameras, the BBC article does not. I use this route twice a week and am surprised to read that they are average speed, as I don't recall seeing any signs to that effect and our speed camera database does not list them as so.......
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, they are variable speed point (not average speed) cameras.

There are only 2 in each direction : EB and WB between J26 and J27; EB near J25 (just east of the tunnels) and WB just before J24.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: