Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Tom Tom is best.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Tom Tom is best.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHILIP2908
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Which Tom Tom is best..... Reply with quote

Hello All, Happy Easter.
I've had a good search of the forum (341 pages) and can't decide which Tom Tom is the best to buy. So apologies for any repetition.
Been a member here for a good number of years and always had Tom Toms (couldn't get on with Garmin).
I've just had my 3rd TT (an XXL) go bang (seems they have built in obsolescence-they only last about 3 years).
So need a new TT with the biggest screen possible - I'm aware that recent TTs have reduced functionality so need all the OV2 files to work along with being able to set warning distances etc.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Phil @ Cheltenham
arfurdent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Go 950 / 750 Live if you can get one or a Garmin should do the trick
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the understanding that NONE of the latest TomToms will do what you want to do.
One of the 'reduced functionality' features that you mention is to remove the facility for setting proximity alerts. So for use as a third party speed camera alerting device, they are no more use than tits on a fish.

Apparently, their own speed camera database works as you might expect, but the data is highly suspect, with new cameras not appearing for months and removed cameras, especially road work SPECS, remain in their database months after the road works have gone.

Your choice! Garmins do what you want WRT third party POIs/cameras etc. and the camera database from here is much more current.
PHILIP2908
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks you both.
My challenge with the Garmin was that I couldn't set the warning distances; or was I doing something wrong? Can you set distances on Garmins?
As an update; I've got the TT XXL in the last chance saloon; connected to my lap-top updating through Tom Tom HOME (which was the thing that jiggered it in the first place).
If that doesn't work, I'll be on flea-bay this afternoon to get a 2nd hand XXL to tide me over.
In the longer term, i'll look at Garmins - are there any good ones with a big screen anybody can recommend?
Thanks in advance.
Phil
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set warning distances (and all kinds of other good things) on the Garmin if you use Kremmen's excellent CSV-GPX converter HERE
An idiots guide to the bog standard POILoader is HERE also contributed by Kremmen.
And you can get loads of support for either by posting here.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arfurdent wrote:
a Go 950 / 750 Live if you can get one or a Garmin should do the trick

like Wink
PHILIP2908
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Converted !! Reply with quote

Right ! That's it ! After 12 years of Tom Tom I'm going over to Garmin...
I've got about £150 - which is the best Garmin with the biggest screen??
Fabulous forum as always.
Thanks all.
Phil@Cheltenham
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't buy the 'biggest and best' Garmin for £150. So start with a rethink or stretch your budget.Very Happy
You say "with the biggest screen". I would suggest that tho find the overall size of a 'large' device and make a cardboard cutout and offer it up to your dash. I have a 7 incher, and it would be a real problem. I also have a 6" Garmin (2699 lmt-d) which is OK.
If you want traffic info, you need one with LMT-D suffix which indicates lifetime maps and digital traffic.
HERE from Amazon, but as I said, you will need you to stretch your budget a bit.

You need to change the thread title as well Bouncing
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree.

Make a LMT-D model a must because the traffic is excellent. Covers all roads, not just motorways and A roads like RDS.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
kattt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin 51 (5") and 61 (6") recently started to reach the UK channels.

Halfords has them, at unexpectedly fairly reasonable prices. I'd go for the Drive 51 LMT-S for £139.99. The LMT-D series have DAB traffic updates *or* smartphone link.... but I suspect the smartphone link would be more up-to-date & contain more data than DAB.

I checked amazon.de and I think the new Garmins there are slightly more from there, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass to compare exact models. Still worth checking however.
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even consider the Drive 51 LMT-S. Go for a LMT-D.

I was a passenger in a car which had a new LMT-S. In easter traffic we got almost nothing from Poddington to Skegness (85 miles) despite the numerous actual hold ups. RDS just doesn't have the capacity for holiday weekend traffic.
kattt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwbaldwin wrote:
Don't even consider the Drive 51 LMT-S. Go for a LMT-D.

I was a passenger in a car which had a new LMT-S. In easter traffic we got almost nothing from Poddington to Skegness (85 miles) despite the numerous actual hold ups. RDS just doesn't have the capacity for holiday weekend traffic.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Garmin.

The Garmin specs say that the Drive 51 LMT-S has a Smartphone Link to get traffic data through a mobile - was your unit using that, or doesn't it work properly?
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not my unit. I'm guessing he wasn't using an app as his phone is PAYG.

I've just asked and he did try it. He had all sorts of problems.

The biggest problem is the app uses about a third of battery usage - even when not linked to the Garmin.

He also had to reconnect the bluetooth each time he used it with the Garmin and it would occasional say there was no Google account.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: