Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Handheld GPS for walking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Handheld GPS for walking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Handheld GPS for walking Reply with quote

Hello,

Recently, I have started doing a lot of walking, especially in rural environments and am looking for a handheld GPS that will show me any paths / tracks across the countryside and if possible allow me to add a destination and guide me along any available routes / paths / tracks to that destination.

By way of explaining, when out walking, it my current path / track splits, I usually take the wrong one and end-up miles away from where I want to be.
My sence of direction isn't that good ......

I have been looking at items on ebay etc., but they all seem to be either very expensive or loaded with stuff I don't need like smartphone notifications.

All I want is a simple (ish) device that will point me in the right direction; ideally something that will accept Open Street Maps or similar.

Any help / advice would be gratefully received.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the basic Garmin Etrex 20 will do that, though be aware that you may not always be guided the way you would want, as this depends very much on the data contained in the map.

I've used an Etrex 20 for around 5 years and found it very useful, and there are quite a few sites providing free OSM mapping.

There are both touchscreen and button models, so you'd need to decide which you prefer.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi capers

Are you walking in the UK?

I recommend that you have a look at the Ordnance Survey range of maps and decide whether you need Landranger (1:50,000 scale) or Explorer (1:25,000 scale) maps. You also need a good compass.

Get a few maps of the areas that are of interest to you. If you are walking in winter (or wet conditions) get a waterproof map.

Have a look at the excellent Ordnance Survey Map reading website for help on: Choosing the right map; understanding map symbols; understanding contour lines; 4-figure grid reference; 6-figure grid reference; and how to use a compass; etc.

Admittedly, I don't walk, however when we go on holiday I try to have a few Landranger maps of the area - it's amazing what a decent Ordnance Survey map can tell you about an area.

OK, at this stage you're probably wondering why (on GPS website) why I'm recommending not using an electronic gadget. Well, maps and a compass never run out of power. Don't use a smart phone as your navigation device without an external power source as you may need the phone for an emergency.

If you're desperate to get a GPS device then be prepared to spend around £200 for a basic model or £400 for a more advanced model. Have a look at GPS devices.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic Etrex can be had for closer to £100 ... Since getting my GPS I've never bought any more maps, so you'll save money in the long run Wink

Note too that a pair of Etrex batteries will last for 16 hours or so, provided you carry a spare set you shouldn't ever have an issue.

This seems cheapest deal at the moment, but I have seen them on sale for around £110.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Outdoor-Handheld-TopoActive-Western/dp/B00XLVF3BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490007217&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+etrex+20x
AudreyMir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard about a mobile app pendant, a safety alarm app for the travelers in an online portal which automatically gives the immediate alarms to the monitoring center in times of an emergency. I am not sure whether it has a map to guide the routes but it gives information about your location at the monitoring center. I think it is used as a safety measure for the solo travelers. I don't have much idea regarding this. Think that it is useful for the solo travelers?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: