Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - average speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

average speed cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Android? Android? Dennis is an iThing fanboy Shocked
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
My Streetview also shows a dated bar thingy at top left, with little blobs showing when different photos were taken. You slide the big blob along the little blobs to see the photos.

I'd never noticed that, Dennis. Thanks for pointing it out. Thumbs Up
Samsung Galaxy S21
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drove on the slip road past the cameras on the above picture i posted and both are yellow but unable to see if you are driving underneath them.
thanks for all the help everyone.
Alostsole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing a mini tour of Cornwall last month and came across a few villages with average speed cameras, took me by surprise because I’ve only ever seen them in Motorway roadwork’s before, mostly on the M6 when I travel from Bristol to Manchester plus the permanent ones on the M4 around Newport south Wales.

My TomTom saved the day when I stayed overnight in Par, Cornwall and went out on the night from my B&B digs and the cameras came up on my display and thankfully my average speed was only 24 MPH so I put a sprint on.

At first I thought it was a TomTom software bug but travelling out of the town next morning I saw the mini yellow speed cameras amongst the foliage and dare say in the summer with all the leaves on the trees there almost invisible.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked whether we have them in our database ?

Also, a StreetView link would be handy if not.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that TomTom don't do average correctly. They do start to finish only which can cost you in a repeating series. Today I was on M6 and it was shut at junction 18. I hit the stationary queue at J17 and TT said my average was 8mph. It stayed at that when we set off again after half an hour or more not moving. There was another camera straight after the junction and more further along, but the TT never got above 18mph. By contrast, CamerAlert on my iPhone correctly shows my average after the recalculation at that camera and so I was able to maintain a steady 47mph. If I had tried that with the TT display I reckon I could have done 70 for a few miles before it got anywhere near 50.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Dennis that CamerAlert is pretty good with average speed cams .... mostly .... It works VERY well on motorways where the cameras are in "batches", however, having recently done the A9 Glasgow - Inverness even cameralert doesn't do things properly .... It works well some 80% of the time, on the single carriageway (avg speed limit 60 mph) sections it is good, but it does not "recognise" the dual carriage way sections (avg speed limit 70mph) and continues to bleat at you for going too fast (over 60 mph). It also had a problem when turning off the A9 at Aviemore in that it still "thought" it was an average speed camera area until switched off and back on !!

So good and useful, but could do better .. Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failures you comment on are down to "you". By which I point out that the database is crowd funded i.e. We, the members, provide information to the website and the database Administrator updates the DB.

Soooo ..... he needs your input about the speeds and about the junctions where the zone needs to be cancelled. The DB does NOT link to the maps or speed limits, does NOT pick up anything from them. We the members report that there is a camera at location xy, type, speed limit, direction of trapping and he puts it into the DB. With average speed cameras he has to remember to search the map for places where the zone is likely to end if you turn off. But it may not. So report that an End camera is needed at the junction where you leave.

The DB is NOT intelligent, that's down to the Administrator. He's pretty intelligent, more than me even. But he's not a mind reader and can't see 200 miles.

Thank you for telling us there are errors. Now please do submissions on the camera submission map/page to get them corrected - it might even earn you a free year.

PS Didn't I read somewhere that the A9 has been set at 60mph all along the average zone? I'm sure I read that the speed kings were very upset about it, but that the powers that be decided it was in your best interests to both lower and enforce the speed limit. I have been wrong once before.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi entwood,

Ensure that your CamerAlert is always up-to-date. The master database is being constantly updated. When you update CamerAlert you get the most up-to-date database that there is, and it can change on a daily or even hourly basis.

If you are driving in a SPECS zone that isn't fully in the PGPSW camera database then you can tap the speed to start the average speed calculation and when you leave a SPECS zone simply tap the speed again to switch off the average speed calculation and warning. There is no need to switch anything off and on again.

However if you do come across any camera, (mobile, fixed, SPECS, etc) that's not on the database then please report it either through CamerAlert or this website. As soon as it's verified (or under MaFt's discretion) it will appear in the database.

There are three types of SPECS cameras (plus a special one):
START
MIDDLE
END
EXIT

They should hopefully be pretty straight forward. The fourth "EXIT" is for conditions as you encountered on A9 at Aviemore. If there isn't an END camera there then we ask that you submit an EXIT camera which turns off the average speed calculation/warning in CamerAlert even if there is no physical SPECS camera there.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both for the responses .. its the first time I have used the system on average speed cams so was somewhat unsure about updates, plus its perhaps not the best thing to try and do in the dark and the rain after 11 hours driving !! Although, if I had known how, I could have done it on the way back as it was daylight then !!

Regarding the A9, the dual carriage way limits are 70 mph, as the ONLY limit signs shown are the "National Speed Limit", white / black diagonal, signs, so single carriagway 60 mph, dual 70 mph. Now I'm home I don't know how I can put any worthwhile info back into the DB , more than willing to try if told how !!

Regards and Thanks .. E

EDIT .. just had a play and I "think" I've managed to put in the requirement for an end of specs on the A95 junction with the A9, but I can't see how to do the single / dual carriageway bits as the map doesn't show that detail, I might have a play with an OS map and try and get some lat/long values ... Smile

FURTHER EDIT

Found this on A9 speed limits ..

http://a9road.info/safety-statistics/speed-limit-information/

no idea if it helps or not .... Smile
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific to the A9. Further reading on that site, under the FAQ section has found 2 little pearls I was unaware of (why should I know, I live over 400 miles from the damned road!!)...

1) Under "where on the A9 will the Average speed camera system be used " and in the middle paragraph .. "North of Perth, there are seven distinct average speed camera system zones all of which are single carriageway sections. .......... The strategy north of Perth focusses on the single carriageway locations .....

So it seems the dual carriage way bits are not covereed by the cameras, and the last camera before, and the first camera after should be end/ start respectfully

2)Under "How many mobile camera sites are there currently on the A9 between Dunblane and Inverness?" and in the last sentence ... "continue to deploy mobile camera units in line with published guidance to the dual carriageway stretches between Perth and Inverness not covered by the average speed cameras."

which implies that there will be no mobile units on single carriage ways, but they will be on the dual bits.

Looks like I have a fair bit of work to do updating all the A9 cameras !! Might take a while but I'll try !

EDIT

I've done the whole length of the A9 from Dunblane to Inverness updating those cameras at the start/end of dual carriageway sections, hopefully without any errors. (apologies if there are any). regarding mobile cameras on single carriagway sections, I can't see how to indicate these are "not active" so I've left well alone .. Smile
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept of average speed cameras on a single carriageway road.

You just need one law abiding motorist and the subsequent Lord Mayors Show all have to follow suit.

Or is that a road notorious for silly overtaking.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like entwood, I also live over 400 miles from the A9. I have never driven on the A9 so I don't know it.

A9 Road FAQs? wrote:
Where on the A9 will the Average Speed Camera System be used?
The system is visible along the A9 from just north of Keir Roundabout (Dunblane) to just south of Raigmore Interchange (Inverness). While this is approximately 136 miles (220 kms) the system will not operate over the entire length.

The design for the average speed camera system divides the road into two separate sections to take into account the distinct characteristics of the A9 and to make sure that each camera zone is tailored to the specific needs of that part of the route.

North of Perth, there are seven distinct average speed camera system zones all of which are single carriageway sections. The cameras are generally five to seven kilometres apart.

South of Perth, there are 12 camera locations on the northbound carriageway and 11 on the southbound carriageway.

The longest single enforceable section on the A9 is approximately 31 miles.

As I've already said, I don't know the A9, but if you read the above quote there is mention of south of Perth using 12 camera locations on the northbound carriageway and 11 on the southbound carriageway - this sounds like a dual carriageway.

EDIT: I've just looked at Google Earth and the A9 is a dual carriageway south of Perth and there are 70 mph SPECS in the PGPSW camera database being shown (e.g. SPECS:168395@70).

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: