Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you buy one from eBay make sure that the seller gives you the email address or transfers it to you so that you can update the maps and Live services.

Excuse me for sounding dense but not sure what this means as i have never done this.

Quote:

My advice is if you're going to get a 950 then proceed with caution, try to guarantee that it is in full working order and that you will be able to extend the map and services, i.e. that you can register the 950 to an email that you own. BTW, I set up a Gmail with the 950's serial number as part of the email address.

I have two email addresses the TTgo live 540 is registered on one with TT home and the TT 820 is registered on my gmail account with My Drive Connect. Could if i bought second hand unit, register it in TT home on my gmail account
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 750 and my wife has the 550. Even though there was still a fairly long time to run with them we have successfully extended our map updates and 'LIVE' services on both devices for an additional year.

The 750 was used by me for UK travel and continental holidays so I had the Europe map but my wife only needed UK mapping so she had the 550. Since we retired to Germany we now have Europe mapping and 'LIVE' services on both devices.

Both devices are superb and much better in functionality than newer devices and I have no intention of changing them. They work brilliantly and I would be lost without itinerary planning (pun intended ;-) ).

Barry
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colin

Colin64 wrote:
Excuse me for sounding dense but not sure what this means as i have never done this.

It might well be me! Thumbs Up It's been a long time since I used my 950 and I now use a Mac (I used to use a Windows PC), so I don't have the software to hand to check. Embarassed

IIRC you used to need to use a unique email address for each TomTom PND. That's how you connect to it via TT Home and how you buy new maps and services via the email associated with the TomTom unit. Like I said, it's been some time and I'm a little rusty on how it works. But I think that if you buy the TomTom PND without knowing the associated email address then you may have problems updating that unit.

I'm sure that a current users of TT Home will confirm or update us.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer - you'd only need the email address (registration) if you wanted to continue using the account it was registered to. Of course, that's the only way to continue with map updates - buy a device which has unexpired update service subscription, you can't buy update service for them now. I sneakily did a double update purchase on the day they were fiddling around with setting the doomsday, so I ended up with 30 months update service (18 and 12). I subsequently quoted my email order acknowledgements to them and got email confirmation from them that the map update service for my GO520 is valid until 19/5/2019. Sadly, I fear the device is becoming a little sickly recently - don't know if it'll last until then!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to add - with an unsupported model, I reckon you'd still get QuickGPSFix (or whatever that useless thing is called) and they'd still happily sell you their annual speed cameras (the phone linked version, as opposed to Live).

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
you'd only need the email address (registration) if you wanted to continue using the account it was registered to. Of course, that's the only way to continue with map updates - buy a device which has unexpired update service subscription, you can't buy update service for them now.!

Colin is thinking about buying a 950 (it's still supported at the moment) and buying a map update and Live services. Therefore he'll need to use the email for the account or at least keep the account and change the email address to one that he has full access to.

DennisN wrote:
Privateer ....

You can call me Robert if you like - no formalities here! Thumbs Up Laughing

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hopeless at remembering names!

Anyway, if the 950 is still supported, I'd think all he needs to do is get one which really does work . Then he'd simply register it to any unique email address of his own and go ahead and buy Map Update Service. It would then be a very good idea to keep an eye open for any offers for the map update service and double up - it gets added on to the end of existing subscription like mine did.

justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good time to buy/top-up/extend map subscriptions? https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mus18for12/##MVFS##/en_gb/mus18for12/
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Ah, the old $64,000 question. Hang on I'll get my crystal ball out. Wink Joking aside, I really don't know. I'm guessing that the 940 (already on the list) was released a year before the 950. So you might have a year before the 950 is on the list but that must be the longest period. If you gambled then you might possibly have six or even just three months to get the maps and services extended. However TomTom could pull the plug tomorrow.

The Go940 isn't yet on the list thankfully. Nevertheless, I bought a stash of map subscriptions as its only a matter of time but am covered until the end of 2018.

John.
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My One v2 USB socket has had an accident and two pins are bent, stopping it working. It won't charge. This is a bad thing.

Instead of ripping it apart and soldering it back to life like I know I really should have, I turned the tragedy into an opportunity to go "live" while retaining the existing user interface, modus operandi and capabilities, and I have bought a second-hand GO Live 950 head-unit from an on-line auction site. (I actually got two, so I have a spare. Head units only, I have had to buy accessories separately.)

After testing they worked and could be made to sound the same, I have just had no difficulty registering both of them to me (using two fresh e-mail address - plus-addressing) and paying for 18 months' maps and Live services for one of them.

It's not cheap for a device with a now-known deadline for being obsoleted, but I suppose what I'm really paying for is continuity, even with having a spare to try to ensure I get all of my 18 months.

(In Known Space I'd belong to a Continuity Club.)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else having trouble with the new software update for Home on Mac? My GO520 has a very lengthy map update subscription, so it's entitled to the latest v990. However, as usual, a new 'critical' update to Home is necessary and that's where it all goes wrong. I have been trying so many times to run through the update installation, it says it's successful, but then starts all over again when I start Home.

johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had long blue spinning wheel when Home was trying to update the TomTom device application on my Go940, followed by an unexpected quit. I don't know if Home got confused because the TomTom device application is on internal memory of my Go940 but the map on SD card.

Did a reboot of Mac and Device and all updated OK. Home has been flaky for as long as I can remember
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a short memory - Home's been flaky for longer than that.

Anyway, I have fixed my map update by installing a fresh download of Home onto my Macbook. Not without its problems though - it crashed a few times when it reached update of QuickGPSFix. So I eventually unchecked that item and it did the updates happily ever after. Bearing in mind I went for many years without that extra flaky thing, I'm more than happy not to have it again - I was quite miserable when Home started doing QuickGPSFix without me able to choose otherwise, so now I'm happier again. I'll probably delete and re-download Home to my Mac now that I know it can be downloaded with some degree of success. Oh, and this time, by a miracle of memory, I remembered to copy config.sys before getting the new map.

All that remains for me is to master the art of making the screen respond where I tap instead of not (with thanks to DHN for pointing me in the right direction).

justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current/latest list of end-of life devices taken from here today:- https://de.discussions.tomtom.com/neuigkeiten-und-ankuendigungen-111/end-of-service-fuer-nav2-geraete-2-gb-990816

XI TomTom EASE
XJ Tom Tom EASE
XK TomTom EASE
XL TomTom EASE
TD TomTom GO 1000
SF TomTom GO 1005 / GO 2050
JB TomTom GO 630
M5 TomTom GO 700
M6 TomTom GO 720
J4 TomTom GO 730
WR TomTom GO 740 LIVE
WL TomTom GO 740 LIVE
W7 TomTom GO 750
W4 TomTom GO 750 LIVE
DC TomTom GO I90
TB TomTom GO LIVE 1000
SB TomTom GO LIVE 1005
FT TomTom GO LIVE 820
FY TomTom GO LIVE 825
PM TomTom ONE 140
PC TomTom ONE 30 Series
PF TomTom ONE 30 Series
PI TomTom ONE 30 Series
PL TomTom ONE 30 Series
PO TomTom ONE 30 Series
PQ TomTom ONE 30 Series
P1 TomTom ONE IQ Routes
PS TomTom ONE IQ Routes
P2 TomTom ONE IQ Routes
PU TomTom ONE IQ Routes
XB TomTom Home
XD TomTom Home
XF TomTom Home ² / Start Classic
XH TomTom Start ² / Start Classic
XN TomTom Start ² / Start Classic
XM TomTom Start ² / Start Classic
AO TomTom Start 20
BK TomTom Start 25
GT TomTom START 40 (2012)
GU TomTom START 50 (2012)
WM TomTom Start 60 / Via 620 (2012)
AG TomTom Via 110
AN TomTom Via 120
AU TomTom Via 120
AV TomTom Via
130/135 AQ TomTom Via 220
FM TomTom Via LIVE 120
RC TomTom XL 30 Series
RI TomTom XL 30 Series
RN TomTom XL 30 Series
RV TomTom XL 30 Series
R4 TomTom XL 340
GK TomTom XL 350
RS TomTom XL IQ Routes
RU TomTom XL IQ Routes
GJ TomTom XL IQ Routes ² / XL Classic
GI TomTom XL IQ Routes ² / XL Classic
GP TomTom XL IQ Routes ² / XL Classic
R1 TomTom XL LIVE IQ Routes
R2 TomTom XL LIVE IQ Routes
RW TomTom XXL IQ Routes / XXL Classic
RX TomTom XXL IQ Routes / XXL Classic
RY TomTom XXL IQ Routes / XXL Classic
GL TomTom XXL IQ Routes / XXL Classic
GQ TomTom XXL IQ Routes / XXL Classic
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this for those with TT devices

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-for-tomtom-devices-with-2gb-internal-memory-1031975/index1.html#post1205630

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: