Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dash camera with speed camera warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dash camera with speed camera warnings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrleeming wrote:
I think I will have to mount any camera at the bottom R/H side of the windscreen , as theres not enough space to the right side of the rear view mirror, to be able to see the camera screen [for the warnings ]
You don't NEED to be able to see the screen with CA on your phone. It has voice warnings. BTW, if you display the map in CA it uses mobile data. If you don't display the map, then no data is used, other than the update of the database which you can do on WiFi if mobile data limit is a problem.
But if you are talking satnavs, that's a different story. It's fairly important that you can see the screen, but it should not obstruct your view out of the window to any great extent
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful where you mount it because anything in the drivers windscreen wiper sweep area can be a MOT fail.

My Nextbase is on the passenger side.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i meant to see the screen if i bought a dashcam with camera warnings on ,
if i use my phone it would be air vent mounted ,and thanks for the info about the C/A using data on the phone , didn't occur to me !
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jrleeming,

I've run a RoadHawk HD for a few years and at the moment I'm also running a second dashcam (a RoadHawk HD-2) to compare the two units. I record all journeys and keep the data for at least six months on external hard drives.

I've used the RAC-03 dashcam as well. If you want an all in one, then it's OK but I do prefer the RoadHawk. The RAC-03 has the camera on the wrong side, i.e. it's designed for LHD vehicles. In a RHD vehicle the camera is a long way from the windscreen. Also the camera database updates are not as frequent.

I believe the ideal solution is a dedicated dashcam and, as others have already said, use CamerAlert with a PGPSW subscription to the database for camera warnings.

Regardless of the dashcam you use, I find that it's best to keep a few spare SD cards in the vehicle just in case of card failure and to regularly change the cards over and format them to ensure that they run OK. If you have a problem with the dashcam always check the SD card first.

By the way, please bear in mind that I'm a PGPSW moderator and camera verifier therefore you'll be forgiven for thinking that I'm biased towards PGPSW and CamerAlert. Yes I am. However, I genuinely think that the PGPSW camera database is the best in the UK and it has also done me very well in my limited adventures abroad.

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrleeming wrote:
Thanks Bill , I'm still trying to give my iPhone a chance , but the only car mount I had turned out to be too "wobbly" and felt unsafe , i have a new one coming in the next day or so, but i will look at the MIO

See OSOMOUNT 360. I stuck mine on my dashboard on 1st August 2013. 166,000 miles later and it is still stuck on my orange peel finish. It's come off twice during that time and I often grab it as a handle to help lean forward to touch my windscreen mounted satnavs.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Robert for you thoughts , I also think the PGSW camera database is the best, and i did use it [on tom-tom ] for a number of years and never came across a camera location problem
I already have a dedicated dash cam [G1W ] and have had no problems with it, I just wanted a combined unit that would come on and go off with the car ignition needing no action from me , i still have three TOMTOMs , the newest being a Start 20 [about four years old inc the maps ] which i could use with the PGSW camera database [re-subscribed ] but i have in car nav , so don't really need another, it would probably be the cheapest way to get camera alerts , but as I said I wanted it to come on and go off without me having to do anything as my dash cam does now, I did wonder if any of the combined dash cam /speed cameras had voice alerts ?
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See OSOMOUNT 360. I stuck mine on my dashboard on 1st August 2013. 166,000 miles later and it is still stuck on my orange peel finish. It's come off twice during that time and I often grab it as a handle to help lean forward to touch my windscreen mounted satnavs.

thanks Dennis[/quote]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: