Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Mobile Phone Penalties Affect SatNav Use Too
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mobile Phone Penalties Affect SatNav Use Too
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://think.direct.gov.uk/mobile-phones.html

from the above link ... "follow a map ...." Shocked

EDIT:(clarity, I assume while holding the dam thing... I suppose that stops the 'I was only following a map not on a call)

The law

It's illegal to use a handheld mobile when driving. This includes using your phone to follow a map, read a text or check social media. This applies even if you’re stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic.
It is also illegal to use a handheld phone or similar device when supervising a learner driver.
You can only use a handheld phone if you are safely parked or need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop.
If you’re caught using a handheld phone while driving, you’ll get 6 penalty points on your licence and a fine of £200. Points on your licence will result in higher insurance costs.
If you get just 6 points in the first two years after passing your test, you will lose your licence.
Using hands free (e.g. for navigation) is not illegal. However, if this distracts you and affects your ability to drive safely, you can still be prosecuted by the police.
Stand-Offish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat navs should not respond to any 'touches' when they are in motion.
And they KNOW when they are in motion.

A notification symbol should appear on the screen. Anyone with a device not showing the symbol should have it confiscated.
Dedicated GPS could retro programme if the feature is absent.
Phone apps would have the feature or not work.

Obviously the police can't know whether someone is one touching or reprogramming whilst in motion (clearly dangerous). So they have a blanket ban.

I use my phone as a GPS in a mount and don't touch it while driving, if the phone rings, I press the end of the 'media' stalk on the steering wheel and talk hands-free.

We all press buttons whilst in motion, but we shouldn't fiddle with things.
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
@mistersaxon

At the risk of repeating myself sat navs do not fall under the legislation as they are not capable of receiving AND transmitting.

So whats it doing when it sends audio data via Bluetooth?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyuk99 wrote:
sussamb wrote:
I doubt it because that, despite the reports, is legal. The legislation is about the use of hand held phones, by definition one in a holder is not 'hand held'.

Nope, that is not the case, you are still using.

It doesn't matter ... the legislation is about hand helds Rolling Eyes
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyuk99 wrote:

apparently and I will try and find a link, you must not touch a mobile phone, EVEN if mounted.

So pressing a screen is considered using.

I await that with interest Very Happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornz wrote:
sussamb wrote:
@mistersaxon

At the risk of repeating myself sat navs do not fall under the legislation as they are not capable of receiving AND transmitting.

So whats it doing when it sends audio data via Bluetooth?

BT isn't included in the full text of the legislation so doesn't count, please don't take things out of context Smile
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been toying with the idea of using my iPad Mini 2 (7.9" screen") with a navigation app to replace my dying Tom Tom. I would mount this on the visor as at 5" deep in landscape mode, is the same depth as the visor in my car.

This is not the sim card model, so unable to make calls out unless tethered to my phone for internet calls, so I would have the choice of using offline still allowing me camera alerts but no live traffic, or tethered for the live traffic.

I would be extremely grateful to know members views as to the possible legality of this setup, particularly if not tethered

Alan.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way it (the device) is not capable of transmitting and receiving data, so does not come under the legislation. You're using it simply as a satnav, so the same rules as apply to satnavs apply.

I'm not sure though I'd want it mounted on my visor, trying to switch my eyes focus to something that close and then back to the road wouldn't be good in my view. Maybe something like this would be better:

http://stephencreek.com/gpsreview/tablet/upperdezl.jpg
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

I'm not sure though I'd want it mounted on my visor, trying to switch my eyes focus to something that close and then back to the road wouldn't be good in my view. Maybe something like this would be better:

http://stephencreek.com/gpsreview/tablet/upperdezl.jpg

Something like that might be safer in the event of an accident too.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your very quick replies, and the one concerning the legality that I hoped for sussamb. As routes would be planned, saved and loaded at home, no further interaction with the touchscreen should be necessary once the journey had started.

The reason I considered the visor mount was because rear view cameras often use that option. I used to have one fitted in a camper van always on, with the screen on the visor when I towed a trailer as the camper was wider, and I glanced occasionally to check that all was well. as well as useful when reversing.
I only occasionally have a quick glance at my current sat nav to the right of the steering wheel, rather using the spoken directions in unfamiliar territory, and of course warning sounds for cameras.
Though I do of course take your welcome comments on board and will investigate the possibility of an alternative mount... many thanks again.

Regards... Alan.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not thinking of this particular method by the way, I could not believe my eyes Sad Sad Sad

https://youtu.be/Gpy-UhmWsOI

CRAZY STUPID AND VERY DANGEROUS ! ! !

Reminds me of a post I read elsewhere when a guy said "since I bought my sat nav I no longer have a problem with foggy conditions... I just follow the road on the sat nav " ! Rolling Eyes
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
CRAZY STUPID AND VERY DANGEROUS ! ! !
What a D*** Head!. AND holding a video cam as well. AND getting tooted by another road user.
Sun visor for your satnav? Not a very good idea. Too close to eyes. Hazard in a crash. Sun visor would have to be right down to be of any use, not 45 deg tilted forwards or back. And your RV mirror is probably a good bit left of your sight-line and quite a bit further away than your sun visor?

And as sussamb has said on several occasions, the new penalties (not laws) refer to hand-held devices and by definition, if it's not in your hand, it isn't hand-held.
Other laws cover non hand-held distractions.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did say it took a bit of getting used to ........ Wink
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has mentioned the use of Smart Watches (Apple Watch) yet....
Any views on this please.
Driving
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'smart watches' may have a place here - they would show the increased heart rate after you have a near miss because you were using a hand-held phone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: