Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Mobile Phone Penalties Affect SatNav Use Too
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mobile Phone Penalties Affect SatNav Use Too
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: New Mobile Phone Penalties Affect SatNav Use Too Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Penalties for drivers caught using a mobile phone increased on March 1st with a fine of £200 and six penalty points.

But many are confused about when and where they can use their phone legally and few realise that these penalties also affect using your smartphone as a satnav too.

It is illegal to use a handheld mobile phone whilst you are driving. This also applies to internet connected devices such as tablets and media players. The 'whilst driving' part means anytime you are not parked so using whilst stuck in traffic, at a red light etc is also prohibited.

If you are using your phone in satnav mode then you should have it in a fixed holder and may not interact with it at all. So no tapping menus, switching modes etc. Dedicated satnav devices are not included in this legislation but if you're distracted whilst using one then existing careless or dangerous driving legislation can be used.

email icon

Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, are you allowed to tap the screen to answer it handsfree using the in-built loudspeaker ?.... surely no different from, say, switching radio stations or operating other switches in the car
jonchill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the only place you could legally use a phone was parked up at the side of the road with the engine turned off, not in traffic or at lights etc, so all those people that just stop anywhere to answer a call are breaking the law.
nekillim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Mobile Phone Use Reply with quote

I am waiting for the first pictures of MPs, and Police using them whilst driving!!!
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone quote the section of this new legislation that specifically excludes "interacting" with the device (phone) when it is being used as a satnav and is in a holder?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it because that, despite the reports, is legal. The legislation is about the use of hand held phones, by definition one in a holder is not 'hand held'.
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - so Darren's report above "If you are using your phone in satnav mode then you should have it in a fixed holder and may not interact with it at all" is misleading?
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Why is it so hard to understanding people Reply with quote

It's quite simple,
you may not use ANY electronic device when in control of a vehicle (driver) ( mobile phone, satnav tablets, ( if it has a screen and you have to touch it, to interact with it, this includes built into the car, and even hands free can be used against you if you are found using it in a RTA)

In control of a vehicle, any time you are not parked ( in a safe legal and convenient place)

So waiting in traffic including traffice lights is in control of a vehicle.

So as in the new driving test, includes satnav, they stop in a safe, legal, conveneant place, then set the satnav for the independent driving.
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely no different to changing radio stations or switching something on / off ????
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to be pedantic but if a Satnav has touchscreen zoom buttons I cannot use them when driving - but the mechanical ones on my Garmin Quest are OK?
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonchill wrote:
I read somewhere that the only place you could legally use a phone was parked up at the side of the road with the engine turned off, not in traffic or at lights etc, so all those people that just stop anywhere to answer a call are breaking the law.

AND with the key out of the ignition, I believe. How that affects drivers of cars without physical keys, I have no idea.

PS Why do people say "parked up" instead of just "parked"? I'm not criticising, just fascinated to now where on earth the expression came from - it's quite recent.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so hard to understanding people Reply with quote

TieJustice wrote:
It's quite simple,
you may not use ANY electronic device when in control of a vehicle (driver) ( mobile phone, satnav tablets, ( if it has a screen and you have to touch it, to interact with it, this includes built into the car, and even hands free can be used against you if you are found using it in a RTA)

Really? Where did you get that information from? It's not in any law I know?

The only possibility is if you're deemed to be not in full control. It's perfectly legal to touch satnavs etc, although advice is to avoid doing so.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kritou wrote:
I don't want to be pedantic but if a Satnav has touchscreen zoom buttons I cannot use them when driving - but the mechanical ones on my Garmin Quest are OK?

Yes, because sat navs are not in the legislation Very Happy

The Regulation includes any "device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data".

It states that a "mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function". "interactive communication function" includes:

sending or receiving oral or written messages;
sending or receiving facsimile documents;
sending or receiving still or moving images; and
providing access to the internet
There are two exemptions:

2-way "press to talk" radios, such as used by the emergency services and taxi drivers
Using a hand-held phone for a genuine emergency call to 999 or 112 if it would be unsafe for the driver to stop.

Note sat navs are excluded as they do not transmit data.

Last edited by sussamb on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very confusing.

No doubt we will hear more as fines and court appearences are published.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile Phone Use Reply with quote

nekillim wrote:
I am waiting for the first pictures of MPs, and Police using them whilst driving!!!

Try these:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2376938/cop-faces-probe-after-being-caught-illegally-using-iphone-behind-wheel-of-patrol-car-amid-huge-crackdown-on-dangerous-driving/

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/dash-cam-footage-shows-merseyside-10342708

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: