Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Golf MK7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Golf MK7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Golf MK7 Reply with quote

Pick up the new motor tomorrow and was wondering if there is a dummies guide to install the camera alerts. Thanks in anticipation
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried to upload the asc files using the car-net website, loading them into POI's. Went for a spin but no good. Its a Discover Media gen2.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of replies is probably because nobody has the same unit.

What does the user manual say about POI's?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual says there are 2 ways to add POI's. One via a SD card and the other is online, which is the way I did it. It says "Choose File
Add Personal POI List (.asc, .csv, .gpx, .kml/kmz)"
I went for the asc files and downloaded to the car, it even allowed me to add the images. But when I drove the car it didnt show my local camera.

Appreciate any help
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

Does it show the exact format of the file layout required?

If it allows CSV then that is often an easier format as it's normally just Lat, Long, Description, 3 fields.

The difficulty comes with cameras is the proximity alert. many OEM units don't cater for that.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m pretty sure the the .csv, .txt and .asc are pretty much the same in so far as they all have coma separated values in them.
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I will try again tomorrow and feed back here. cheers
Talk-Torque
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripleh wrote:
Just tried to upload the asc files using the car-net website, loading them into POI's. Went for a spin but no good. Its a Discover Media gen2.

Hi Tripleh. Sorted my Mk7 GTI with the speed camera database yesterday. You need to link your car to a WLAN, either using a phone hotspot, or your home wi-fi. I found the home wi-fi to be the most stable. You can then download the POI's from Car-net. After that, you need to set up the Nav map menu to display your POI's, as it does not do that by default. There is also a toggle under Nav Anouncements for a sound for your POI's. HTHs!

Best way is for you to have a go, and then ask specific questions. It is a bit fiddly, but logical, once you get it!
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk-Torque wrote:
Tripleh wrote:

Hi Tripleh. Sorted my Mk7 GTI with the speed camera database yesterday. You need to link your car to a WLAN, either using a phone hotspot, or your home wi-fi. I found the home wi-fi to be the most stable. You can then download the POI's from Car-net. After that, you need to set up the Nav map menu to display your POI's, as it does not do that by default. There is also a toggle under Nav Anouncements for a sound for your POI's. HTHs!

Best way is for you to have a go, and then ask specific questions. It is a bit fiddly, but logical, once you get it!

Hi, I Have installed the .csv files using USB. But havent had chance to try them yet as the missus has nabbed the car. Will feed back as soon as I try. Cheers
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed Talk's guide to switching on the POI's and the cameras now show up with a little sound to warn of approaching camera. As Kremmen said there isnt a very good proximity warning, which is a shame. Maybe someone somewhere has a fix for this??

Also Talk, I bought myself a wingle and data sim, which now sits permanently in the boots 12v socket, so wherever I go my car is connect. Handy if you have kids too for hotspotting. Hopefully the dynamic traffic alerts etc work ok.
Talk-Torque
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tripleh. Not fully tested mine yet, but I don't seem to have any sound. I thought that the box "Note: My POIs" in the "Navigation Anouncements" should be ticked. Is that correct, or is there something else? I cannot find the box mentioned in the manual.

Having the icons display is good, but it does need a sound to make you look at the screen!
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Talk, I actually used the German website to download the .csv files to http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html this gives the option to click Bei Annäherung an diese POIs informieren which gives the audible alarm.

The site then downloads the csv's you want ie specs, gatso, redlight with picture and I downloaded it as a zip file. I unpacked it to a usb stick and went to the car and downloaded it from usb.

I then followed your instructions to show the cams.

So you need to tick the box Bei Annäherung an diese POIs informieren for the audio.

Not sure if that makes any sense at all!
Talk-Torque
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tripleh. It does make sense. After re-reading all the methods posted, I have been trying to do just what you advise, all day, so far with no success. I have still got the camera data loaded via Car-net, so I will live with that, for now. Going to try running Cameralert on my phone, in parallel with the Nav, so I should get alerts from that.

I've tried every combination of settings I can think of with the German site. The process seems to work as it should and I get all the folders listed in my download. The only thing I haven't tried is deleting all of the personal POI's on my unit before attempting to upload the new ones.

Thanks for your help. Smile
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Talk, just wondering how you got on
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk-Torque wrote:
Tripleh wrote:

Do you fancy grabbing some photo's and doing a step-by-step guide we can use for the installation?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: