Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Sat-Nav Is Dead. Long Live GPS-Based Fitness Devices!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sat-Nav Is Dead. Long Live GPS-Based Fitness Devices!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Last thing I want to do is brick a £500 phone.
Cheapskate. Shocked
zetor12
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems using a mobile is a good option to navigate but having to have a data connection to get the best out of it isn't something I would want, traveling through 4 different country's where I live would mean paying way too much in data roaming.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then get one that has on board maps. Sygic does, and I suspect several more. You don't have to have data to 'get the best out of it' as far as maps are concerned, but you obviously need mobile data to get 'live traffic'.
I thought that the good people at Strasbourg had stamped on expensive roaming charges?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used SatNavs on PDAs before PNDs.

I first started with TomTom Navigator 2 running on a Compaq iPAQ H3970. I then used an iPAQ H2210.

When the PDA SatNav software was killed off by manufacturers releasing PNDs, I joined the band waggon and went to PNDs with successive TomTom ONE, 730, and 950 units.

Things have now gone full circle as I've been using my iPhone (which is also my PDA) for SatNav for a few years with the old TomTom iOS app. I used to have an iPhone 5 but the screen was a bit small so I now run an iPhone 6s Plus and the screen is just file.

My iPhone is my mobile office, with Microsoft Exchange giving me access to my email, schedule, contacts and notes whilst I'm away from my Mac. I have full access to all of my data over the cloud as well. So it makes sense to have a SatNav app (or 5) on my phone. Everything I need is in my phone and if I need to, I can even make an old fashioned telephone call on it as well. Thumbs Up

Although I am still a TomTom user, I have several different SatNav apps so I occasionally use a different one so that I'm not reliant on TomTom.

Yes the PND is dead.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Eier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit wrote:
Guess I must be far from average...

I have come to hate my mobile, it is nearly always switched off except for emergencies (too may interuptions when I have been busy in the past). Probably been off for the last three weeks at a guess.

I have an Garmin Etrex 30 for walking/cycling and a Nuvi 2460 for driving.
If Garmin are intending to phase out manufacture of such devices in the futuer then they will lose my custom Smile

If they're phasing out manufacture then they will be losing EVERYBODYS' custom! So I really don't think they'll be bothered by your comments.
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zetor12 wrote:
Is a data connection needed on a mobile phone to used to navigate?

I thought this was required and have always had mine running on the iphone, but recently discovered ( now my cable works ) that ' location' is all that is required on my mobile, for simple navigation. . Some devices will allow, no doubt, traffic updates, therefore quite likely that data will be required.

Take care, keep your eyes on the road, not the navigator?

chas
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my first handheld GPS the other day - a Garmin GPS38 which must be around 20 years old now and put it beside the Garmin VivoActive HR - the ViVoActive doesn't seem so large after that
2wheelsgood
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will carry on using my Garmin, but that maybe because I have two on my motorbike (for when rallying).

This allows me to use different settings when out and about but most importantly they are water and petrol proof - important on motorbikes when splash back when refuelling can be an issue.

My phone can be useful for a little bit of foot navigating BUT for use on the road I would rather have something designed for it and capable of doing it well. The screens are a good size and the ability to have different zoom settings and live traffic fields so I can see my own detours if I want is useful.

I do get a little annoyed by the costs of PND's but cheaper than a new iPhone several times a year due to water / petrol damage!

My €0.02.
BigginAndy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small point re offences. Met and maybe other forces gave up issuing fixed penalty notices at the road side a few years back. EVERY traffic offence is now reported (processed). The officers statement, "offender's" history and circumstances are then taken into account and a decision is made as to whether a safe driving course or fixed penalty is offered or there will be a summons to court. The offender always has the chance to elect to go to court if a course or fixed penalty is offered.
DKGame
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zetor12 wrote:
Seems using a mobile is a good option to navigate but having to have a data connection to get the best out of it isn't something I would want, traveling through 4 different countries where I live would mean paying way too much in data roaming.

I would be put off by that too, but my carrier (Three in the UK) allows me free data throughout the EU and lots of other countries too. So shop around for carrier contracts and you may be able to get round that restriction.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got sygic and tomtom on mobile

neither of these have voice command abilities and neither provide good searching for locations.

They are also prone to randomly crashing and if sygic crashes it's a nightmare to get it work again without it having a dialog box on the screen.

The routing is also bad on Sygic and even though it uses TomTom traffic it's nowhere as good.

Both have their good and bad points, but overall I think a dedicated satnav is probably better.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: