Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 2015Vw Passat discover satnav speed camera alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 2015Vw Passat discover satnav speed camera alerts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayhem81
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: New 2015Vw Passat discover satnav speed camera alerts Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether it is possible to setup speed camera alerts on my new 2015 Passat b8 discover sat nav system? Appreciate any help.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: New 2015Vw Passat discover satnav speed camera alerts Reply with quote

Hi Mayhem81,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Mayhem81 wrote:
Does anyone know whether it is possible to setup speed camera alerts on my new 2015 Passat b8 discover sat nav system?

Don't know. Embarassed

1. What is the SatNav unit in your car?
2. Do you have a web link for the on-line manual for the SatNav unit in your car?

If you're serious about getting warnings and have either an iPhone or an Android phone then subscribe to PocketGPSWorld to get the database and install the CamerAlert APP (which uses the PocketGPSWorld database) on your phone.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's possible. This has been discussed a few times, this thread has most information.

Even if you can get the POIs included, there is no way to set up warnings.
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
It is possible if you have the latest head unit in (the 6.5" unit that is now fitted to models coming through now)

If you register for Car-Net (and get a code that you enter in the car to open up other functions) you can upload them to the car over wi fi using the MY POI function. You need to save them in one file in asc format then upload.
Unfortunately the icon that appears cannot be changed and the speed cams turn up on the map in a crappy grey colour (2 people shapes)

Hopefully someone will wake VW up (or hack the firmware) to allow a custom icon to be used for MYPOI uploads that can be seen a little quicker.

But I have it working on my new VW using old files, so it can be done. As before though there is still no way I can see to get an audible alert from the in dash unit
Hope this helps
Mayhem81
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Asc whereabouts Reply with quote

Thanks Bigfoot47. Could you advise where I would get the Asc file to add on car net? Very Happy
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If i remember correctly I used a web converter to convert some old files before I remembered that you should be able to download in asc format from here just select Navman (i think) as your device/format when downloading latest cameras.
Hope this helps.
Mayhem81
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again will give it a go
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update
After having trawled the net I have finally got speedcams to display AND alert sound on my VW 20152/016 Discover Nav 6.5" unit.
Thanks to the guys on site below-using pocketgps asc files and VW's own site albeit from Germany.You can use your own icon instead of the fixed car net grey invisible crap one.(34x39 pixel .png file)

link is
http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?27941-MIB-II-Custom-POI-s-Speed-Cameras-etc

Any problems see post #20 in the above and try that. Alert sound sound can be increased in map/nav options.Just make sure when you update My POI's that the one you have created is listed as being one of the ones that makes the icon to be shown on the map ie tick the box for your speedcam named category in the list of categories and Note-MY POI's
box is ticked in navigation announcement settings to get the audible alert.
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Camera alerts on Discover Pro system Reply with quote

I can confirm that this works on the 2015/16 version of the Discover Pro 8" model, and using the alert database from PocketGPSWorld too, though I didn't know you can get sound alerts too. Wow!

Thanks for the link to the Aussie site. I'd previously learnt about it here: http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/5018-speedcameras-audible-alerts-to-discover-pro-are-possible/page-2

The posts were older and for an older head unit. At that point the option of audible alerts wasn't on the German converter. However, there's some useful stuff about formatting of your media (needs to be FAT32).

Am going to have to do it a second time and tick those boxes - didn't know what they meant, as it's in German.

I downloaded the file onto a USB stick and then installed it on the head unit, though instead of 'managing POIs' which couldn't find the files I selected 'update maps' I think (will check).

Also, using the German site and a memory stick or SD card you can get the standard PocketGPSWorld icons to show on the map.

I did have some problems getting the German conversion site to work initially. Both Chrome and Internet Explorer came up with error messages on the site, but Firefox worked like a dream. This was on Windows PC.

A couple of questions for those who got this to work:
1. Where is the setting on the Discover Pro to get sounds and how far away from the camera do you tend to get a warning?
2. How do you download the POIs using CarNet or does this still have the problem of the grey icons.
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it turns out that I must have ticked those boxes for audible alerts after all. As I approached a speedcam today I heard a subtle beep sound from the Discover Pro. It wasn't much in advance of the camera though, about 25 yards. If you have a front facing camera or mobile speed trap this warning would not be sufficient, as you'd be able to see not only the camera but the whites of the eyes of the guy operating it!

Better than nothing I guess. The better option might still be to use the camera icons on the built in navin conjunction with the audible warnings of the CamerAlert on your phone.

Err, or a TomTom!
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply- have been working away.
If you use CarNet you get the useless grey icon which can be hard to see.
My audible alerts are much further away than 25 yards. I would have liked them earlier still, but they are better than nothing.
Suggest testing you positioning with the sat nav to see if it is out, ie set to maximum zoom 50/75yds etc then see where you are in relation to the arrow on the sat nav when you pass a junction. Could be it is out a bit. On my last vw i did a full reset of the navigation/unit then went for a 20 minute drive and the accuracy was much better.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, with a view to updating the 'compatibility charts' for the database, can someone clarify what units this works on?

I see 'Discover Pro' mentioned in the thread, but is that a VW-specific device? Is it used on other cars? Are there certain versions that it will work on etc?

MaFt
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if there were any updates?
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
So, with a view to updating the 'compatibility charts' for the database, can someone clarify what units this works on?

I see 'Discover Pro' mentioned in the thread, but is that a VW-specific device? Is it used on other cars? Are there certain versions that it will work on etc?

MaFt

Discover Nav Pro is the VW name for the factory fit head unit. It's a touchscreen unit with DAB radio, CD player, media player (DVD, USB sticks), Traffic via VW's system called 'Car Net', with traffic supplied by TomTom). As standard it includes Android play and MirrorLink, and the Pro version includes AppleCarPlay. I believe it is used in other VW cars including the Golf, but not sure about VW Group or other manufacturers. Audi don't use it but not sure about Skoda or Seat who do seem to have similar re-badged systems. Not sure who manufactures the unit as I've never had it out. VW do it in different screen sizes.
Discover Nav and Discover Nav Pro has screen sizes of 6 and 8" screen. There's also a 9.2" version in the Golf but the naming process seems a bit random. Details here:
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/navigation-and-entertainment-systems/discover-nav-pro
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin_thames wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Discover Nav Pro is the VW name for the factory fit head unit. It's a touchscreen unit with DAB radio, CD player, media player (DVD, USB sticks), Traffic via VW's system called 'Car Net', with traffic supplied by TomTom). As standard it includes Android play and MirrorLink, and the Pro version includes AppleCarPlay. I believe it is used in other VW cars including the Golf, but not sure about VW Group or other manufacturers. Audi don't use it but not sure about Skoda or Seat who do seem to have similar re-badged systems. Not sure who manufactures the unit as I've never had it out. VW do it in different screen sizes.
Discover Nav and Discover Nav Pro has screen sizes of 6 and 8" screen. There's also a 9.2" version in the Golf but the naming process seems a bit random. Details here:
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/navigation-and-entertainment-systems/discover-nav-pro

I have the Discover Nav system (DNS) and it doesn't come with Mirrorlink of Android play.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: