Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 950 live now always gives wrong arrival times.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

950 live now always gives wrong arrival times.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: 950 live now always gives wrong arrival times. Reply with quote

Hi, I have a tomtom 950 live which is kept up to date with latest maps etc.
I have noticed that recently whenever I plot a journey my arrival time is way out! Take yesterday, I went from Bournemouth to the Guildford area, a journey that usually takes me about 1hr 50 minutes. My satnav says it will be 3hrs 15 minutes. I look at the route it takes before i even get into the car and it is correct. I have used satnavs since they first came out so I know my way around them. Also I have noticed it tries to take me away from my normal planned route telling me to turn either left or right. There was no traffic holdups along my route so it didn't need to avoid holdups.
Now I wonder if the last map was incorrect in giving info out on routes, I don't know. So any ideas?
Regard, Derrick.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you by any chance altered the planning rules and set it for Shortest route, rather than Fastest? For onje trip? I think it retains the latest rules for future planning and would need to be set back to Fastest.

Have a look at TomTom's Route Planner and see whether that is showing roadworks to affect the journey.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it set to "ask me every time I plan"
I also did the same route with the AA Route planner and that gave me the time for journey as 1hr 50 minutes also about the same milage.
Plus I was running google maps at the same time on the journey and the AA and google was the same only tomtom was way out.
Also tomtom seems to be constantly re-planning my route that I selected and doesn't seem to want to stop this, again why?.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got a 950 Live, so I'm just guessing.

I've just asked one of my TomToms to plan centre of Bournemouth to centre of Guildford,

Shortest Route offered 77.4 miles, 2:55 hrs.
Avoid Motorways, 78 miles, 2:00 hrs.
Fastest Route, 85.9 miles, 1:31 hrs.

Clearly, I'm not using your actual addresses, so it's only an approximate comparison.

If you selected a route, but went your own way (following your own brain instead of the satnav), it would replan all the time when you are going off course by following the satnav!

These are my best offerings I'm afraid.

DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shortest route is a very long time timewise. As I went shortest route and followed the exact route it planned I did it in nearly 2 hours so why is there a discrepancy between unit and real time with no traffic holdups?
I went to Andover the other week and again it gave me nearly 3hrs! I wonder if the new map that I downloaded has a route planning fault in it?
Thanks Dennis I appreciate your replys.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the problem answered? i.e. does that explain your situation? You are selecting shortest route and it forecasts you'll take until next week?

Shortest route usually forecasts ridiculous timings. I don't know how it does it, but the forecast journey duration time is often badly wrong.

DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had this long time to arrival before I updated my maps. It never existed as far as I can remember thats why I was asking the question.
Me thinks maybe I should look for another satnav but which one/make??? The equivalent to my 950 live. Still got my 910 with hard drive working perfectly well but it is old now.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DERRICK wrote:
Still got my 910 with hard drive working perfectly well but it is old now.
You can still get maps for it.

Mine is in use every week. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but I don't bells and whistles - just a satnav that gets me from A to B (via any waypoints I may choose), without any drama.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would not give up on the 950 - some people would give their eye teeth for it. Probably the last decent model produced by TomTom.

I am now guessing that your only problem with it is that when you plan a route and call for Shortest Route, it gives you pretty much the right route but forecasts an abnormally long journey time? That seems a very small niggle for the value of the satnav. By the way, did you notice my tests of Bournemouth to Guildford using Avoid Motorways gave just about the same as Shortest mileage but better time?

DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Yes I did notice the time and milage thanks.
The 950 has been good but a few years ago a solid black line appeared from top to bottom in the middle of the screen which I thought was a bad ribbon cable connection inside, so I took the unit apart to see if I could see the problem but nothing showed up. Being a radio amateur i'm used to taking apart electronic items but was some what niffed not being able to find the problem. Did put it on this site but never got an answer though the display is readable it just looks annoying.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: