Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day it’s just TomTom forcing users off their old devices and into purchasing new kit... there’s no other logic to their decision.
Hardware limitations are not the issue here, but TomTom needs to give a plausible reason that most uninformed users will accept.
You’d think that if they’re going to still produce older maps until current subscriptions expire they would offer these as one of purchases to all users and thus generate a more reasonable notice period?
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:

You’d think that if they’re going to still produce older maps until current subscriptions expire they would offer these as one of purchases to all users and thus generate a more reasonable notice period?

Far too obvious for those cloggies! Laughing
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
DeLorean wrote:

Far too obvious for those cloggies! Laughing

Just a another thought on this. I have a couple of subscriptions not due to expire until 2018/2019. I wonder if, as DeLorean has said, they really will continue with making/updating/supplying "old" maps that only run on "old" navcores to current subscribers for a further 2/3 years or more; notwithstanding that currently the older, but 2Gb or more internal memory devices are still supported (for how much longer I wonder). If they were to kill these off too I'm thinking just how long they will continue to honour these subscriptions or do you reckon they will eventually just pull the plug and, I'm guessing, refund any outstanding/not-used subs.

As I've been banned from their forum for speaking the truth is there anyone else here with similar concerns could ask them what their intentions are towards their long serving & loyal customers? DennisN or others?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Dennis has been banned as well. He's banned from most places Very Happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banned? Just for saying what the situation is?

That's another difference between Garmin and TT then. I'm a mod on the Garmin forums and we don't ban any critical comments.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not banned. I've been temporarily suspended a few times if that counts for brownie points? I thought I'd seen recent posts from justbrowsing, but maybe that's my short term memory kicking in!

I'm not sure I can call myself a loyal TT customer, not like their apologists who have answers for everything and apparently every one of TT's devices to support their thousands of **helpful** posts on the TT forum.

As I posted earlier, I have written confirmation from them that my map update service subscription runs until 19th May 2019. I'm not sure what else I can ask about their commitment to Nav2 devices and I must say, as they are using the Internal Memory capacity justification, I don't see how they can use that for the other devices. Really, they simply have to say "We are ending support and all services for Nav2 devices" and not sell ANYTHING including their rubbish speed camera system, TMC Traffic and anything else.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I HAVE been banned from a courier driver's website - three times - their vetting system is so useless you only have to come up with another email address to be able to register again!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
... is there anyone else here with similar concerns could ask them what their intentions are towards their long serving & loyal customers?

I'd have thought that answer would have been obvious by now! Rolling Eyes
TomTom have repeatedly shown that they do not worry about retaining their loyal customers so why should the customers worry about TomTom?

I've sent emails to the CEO (and others at TomTom), I've posted threads at PGPSW and TomTom's own forum - nothing changes. TomTom is deaf to its customers. That is the sign of a company that won't last much longer.

The other day I had an email from TomTom saying I could buy a new PND with lifetime maps and traffic but my instant thought was "how long with the official TomTom lifetime of that device really be"?

TomTom has shown that lifetime only means a few years.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loyalty to customers no longer exists for most large vendors... all they see is the bottom line and their shareholders want their dividends... customers are just seen as cash cows Confused
I won’t be buying a new TomTom Sat Nav as their devices are completely locked out and lack so many features of the older devices... shame Sad
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
PS - I HAVE been banned from a courier driver's website - three times - their vetting system is so useless you only have to come up with another email address to be able to register again!!

LIKE Wink
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justbrowsing.......

You were NOT banned for 'speaking the truth' and you know it. You were banned for your diatribes -- over and over -- and even this after repeated warnings.

Too bad......the help you offered others was always welcome and useful. It's just that there were already enough 'Loaded_dogs' over there spewing their wearisome crap.

And Dennis? Are you referring to people like me? If so, you don't know me very well..........
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Justbrowsing.......

You were NOT banned for 'speaking the truth' and you know it. You were banned for your diatribes -- over and over -- and even this after repeated warnings.

Too bad......the help you offered others was always welcome and useful. It's just that there were already enough 'Loaded_dogs' over there spewing their wearisome crap.

I have given credit (the occasional time it was worthy) over there but admit (apart from trying to impart my NAV2 wisdom on others), most of my posts were certainly not "wearisome crap" and were, in the main, barbs, criticisms, highlighting of glaring errors & omissions, derision etc regarding TT's apparent total lack of cohesion, consistency, professionalism, efficiency etc etc. If that's what diatribes really mean then so be it.
As someone previously posted, they certainly do seem to have "lost their way" which for a SatNav company is a bit of an oxymoron surely? Rolling Eyes

After all, a forum is meant to be (should be) where people DISCUSS things, good or bad, right or wrong!
Oh no, I forgot, it's where you try to sell junk kitchens!
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
The other day I had an email from TomTom saying I could buy a new PND with lifetime maps and traffic but my instant thought was "how long with the official TomTom lifetime of that device really be"?

TomTom has shown that lifetime only means a few years.

I got an email last week saying that they'd stopped updates for my ONE 2nd Edition. They compared it with the new GO 520/5200 with Lifetime maps, speed cameras and traffic. The * next to the Lifetime products leads to a footnote which says

"*Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more."

Since they date my ONE at 2006 it looks like a Lifetime is 10 years. There's a joke in there somewhere.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
"*Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more."

If TomTom had a policy of improving its devices (i.e. retaining all existing functionality whilst adding new functionally) then I wouldn't have a problem with TomTom deeming when the useful life of its older products is over after a reasonable time frame. However TomTom's current batch of SatNavs is frustratingly inferior to the devices that TomTom has just stopped supporting - that's the problem.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
bmuskett wrote:

If TomTom had a policy of improving its devices (i.e. retaining all existing functionality whilst adding new functionally) then I wouldn't have a problem with TomTom deeming when the useful life of its older products is over after a reasonable time frame. However TomTom's current batch of SatNavs is frustratingly inferior to the devices that TomTom has just stopped supporting - that's the problem.

Regards,

LIKE Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: