Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot FYI. Update 16 May 2016
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot FYI. Update 16 May 2016
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot FYI. Update 16 May 2016 Reply with quote

Mids, if you think wants to be out in the existing thread please move. Just thought it might be better as a stand alone so more people see it. This is from another forum but the poster has said it can be posted elsewhere this topic is being discussed.
:-)

Just so you are aware, I have tonight received written confirmation from Garmin that they were specifically told by Daimler Chrysler to remove/restrict as much customisation (Specifically personal POI's) from the MB software as possible. So anything you load will not work correctly.

So we now have an utterly ridiculous situation where a premium brands £600 option is out performed by a £40 bit of tat from the Internet.

But not only that, because this can't be completely removed or restricted as it is so basic a function, intrinsic to the operation of every sat nav available, we have software that 'half works' and frustrates.

Unacceptable IMO to be honest, but there we go.
:-(

Feel free to post this on any other forums, I read them all, and know it has been raised as an issue on most, but I'm only a member on here :-)

Last edited by Nemesis1 on Mon May 16, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of this is down to support. When a built in system goes wrong it is the dealers who are expected to take the time to try to fix the issues.

Honda have gone down the same route with their new 2015 Honda Connect Android unit and limited it to the 'Honda AppStore'. Even so, we are getting queries on Civinfo about why they can't load Google PlayStore apps.

I'm happy to run a PND for digital traffic and cameras.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been an update to the Garmin system used in newer Mercedes cars.
V6 is the new version and it makes a few changes.

From my testing I can see that the POI alerts are now almost 100%
(Am driving to Cardiff tomorrow and it will get a thorough test then)

However, custom POI icons it seems have now been completely disabled.
Not a single one shows on the map.

But.

As you approach a camera location, an icon does appear. It is though a generic one as used by Garmind own Cyclops add-on. You also get the banner text, and another icon pops down the left of the display, disappearing when you are past the camera.

I have not yet tried to see if loading a database without any icon files still works, I will try when I have time.

But for now, it seems a half way compromise. You do get alerts, and icons do appear. But only as you are within a set distance of the location, and only the stock icons will display, no custom ones of your own design.

So with the help of Kremmens great converter and all its customisation, we can get to a half usable system. You can edit the text that appears on the banner alert, and set warning distances.

:-)
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have helped Cool
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MacG4IQI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kremmen and Nemesis,

I've been using this camera database on a Kenwood system, but have changed to a Mercedes A-class with the Garmin Map Pilot (not Command system) and can't see any details on what I need to download or how I add the camera files to the SD card.

From this thread it sounds like you have had some success, but I can't find installation instructions for Garmin Map Pilot on the Mercedes messed with system. Obviously I don't want to accidently kill the SD-card or not have the normal POIs, so am concerned about making a mistake.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mac
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to wait for nemesis as you need specific Merc advice that I don't have.

Maybe search all his posts as there were a few where we discussed what the CSV Converter needed to do.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick update.
Mercedes released another update, and killed all the things they had fixed in the previous one. We are now back to infrequent alerts, no icons, and hit and miss 'bongs'. And all traffic subscriptions have been lost meaning we get no traffic alerts at all; not that it was much good TBH, but it was something.

I have continued can to talk to Merc and Garmin and they are blaming each other. I have been told by Merc technical that a 're-launch' of the map pilot system is happening at some point, but they can't say when; my dealer has confirmed that an internal technical bulletin has told all dealers to basically do nothing with any further sat nav issues until the re-launch. They are not to update software on the car, the card, or swap cards. Merc CRC confirm this is in response to the huge level of complaints the sat nav is getting from unhappy customers.

It's not a good system, it never has been. They are now really suffering and there is even rumours of a class action in the U.S. That seeks to get free retrospective apple CarPlay upgrades or Command.

Garmin and Merc are suffering, they need to get it sorted asap.
I've seen pictures of an early version of the Mercedes version of the Garmin system, a screen littered with icons and a warning banner across the screen, so they can make it work.

To those with Chinese warnings appearing, that is very very weird. I have tried to recreate this in my own car and can't. But my opinion is it must be the car somehow as I'm sure there is no Chinese version of the PGPSW database. The car must be converting it. Can I encourage anyone with this issue, or anyone just peeeed off that the sat nav in a 'premium' brand 30K+ car is outperformed on every function by a £9.99 Aldi special buy to call the Mercedes CRC and complain. Make sure you get a case number, this forces them to follow up.

I will keep playing with the Chinese thing and post if I find a way to fix it.

Merc CRC can be contacted on 00800 9 777 7777 or 0207 660 9993
Thanks.
MacG4IQI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Nemesis1 for the update on the issues with Mercedes and the Garmin Map Pilot.

May I ask for a little bit of guidance please. Would you post instructions on what file I need to download and how I add the camera files to the SD card.

At the moment I am not at the stage of being able to complain to Mercedes as I don't know how to install the custom POIs.

Regards,

Mac
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis1 wrote:
To those with Chinese warnings appearing, that is very very weird. I have tried to recreate this in my own car and can't. But my opinion is it must be the car somehow as I'm sure there is no Chinese version of the PGPSW database. The car must be converting it.
Thenks for the heads up on that. Most interesting. You are right about no PGPSW Chinese database. I assume that as it's in Chinese, you don't know what it says, but I strongly doubt if it's a translation. More likely a generic alert.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange. I have updated the Lady I'm in regular contact with at MB as well.
The alerts usually display whatever text is in the 'Name' field in the file, you can edit this to anything you want. I agree I don't think the car is translating anything, although you can select your region in the car settings, but I tried that and my alerts were still English, as that is what the file contains.

This system just gets worse, they really need to sort it.

To load files do the following.
Download the Garmin version of the database.
Download a free program called Garmin POILoader
Download Kremmens editor (not essential, but it's a cracking bit if software. But if you want to first just get the basics, skip this step)
Make any edits you want via Kremmens software (see above)
Run POILoader, select 'computer' as the destination and point it at the POI folder on the card.
Select your database file when prompted, leave the settings to 'automatic' and hit go.

That's it.
As I said, you can edit the files, change distances and icons, but, non of this works for us very well so you might want to just coach basic load to start and see what it does. Don't bother with icons, they are disabled by Merc, but you should get a 'bong' and red alert on screen when you aproach a site. But it misses as many as it alerts you to :-(
MacG4IQI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Mercedes installation instructions Reply with quote

Nemesis1

Many thanks for the instructions. I will give it a try.

Mac
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. Any probs drop me a line :-)
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with the Chinese issue. Are the traffic alerts in Chinese as well?

I have found various language settings in the GarminDevice XML file on the card. I wonder if that's the cause. All mine are set to English.

??

I recently had a 17 plate loaner from the dealer, I noticed that the SD card was a different version to mine so i had a look at that, it too was all set to English.
Other than having TT live traffic, there was sadly no improvement to the utter garbage performance of the map pilot system.

I continue to harass Daimler about it, they assure me they are 'looking into it'......
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with these built in Android based systems.

The latest Honda Connect unit is giving nothing but problems. One of the biggest being that it randomly reboots, takes 5 minutes to return and when it does everything is back at factory reset with everything wiped.

The Civic and Jazz forums are loaded with issues.

The models with the Garmin SatNav is totally locked down so fairly uninspiring. Also the Honda Connect unit is Android ICS, how old is that now !
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with the Chinese issue. Are the traffic alerts in Chinese as well?

I have found various language settings in the GarminDevice XML file on the card. I wonder if that's the cause. All mine are set to English.

??

I recently had a 17 plate loaner from the dealer, I noticed that the SD card was a different version to mine so i had a look at that, it too was all set to English.
Other than having TT live traffic, there was sadly no improvement to the utter garbage performance of the map pilot system.

I continue to harass Daimler about it, they assure me they are 'looking into it'......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: