Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I hope Garmin buy into this OS database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I hope Garmin buy into this OS database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: I hope Garmin buy into this OS database Reply with quote

BBC News:
Sat-nav maps update aims to prevent stuck lorries under bridges and on narrow roads.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37703556

Last edited by BigJohnD on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but will it be limited to the very expensive truck versions that it seems that not all truckers use anyway because plain vanilla satnavs are cheaper?
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The location of narrow roads is useful to everyone, like mobile home drivers and I have to admit my Garmin has no hesitation in sending me along them though I am now suspicious of the instruction to turn into "the road" or "alley".
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

These devices have a flawed logic when you select shortest distance. It needs to be the most sensible shortest route.

Even some fastest routes are debateable when they take in tractor lanes.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logic is probably correct. Its the map data supplied to Garmin by HERE that needs tweaking Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnD wrote:
The location of narrow roads is useful to everyone, like mobile home drivers and I have to admit my Garmin has no hesitation in sending me along them though I am now suspicious of the instruction to turn into "the road" or "alley".
The routing logic is wrong. Stop sticking up for a satnav manufacturer that just doesn't bother to use the data supplied by the map makers.
A lot of the data is already present in Truck versions, but left out of the bog standard consumer models. My iGo truck avoids narrow roads, low bridges etc. I have tried it on several places where trucks have got stuck and it avoids the road. It also avoids low bridges etc. if you put the truck size in. It will also warn you of schools, narrow bridges, low bridges, tight bends etc. In fact pretty much, if there is a road warning sign alongside the road, it will warn you of it if you use the correct maps.
It's NOT the map suppliers that are at fault, its the satnav manufacturers that are at fault. My Garmin will route down unsuitable roads for a car, let alone a truck, especially in places such as the West Country and Wales.
It's the satnav manufacturers that need a kicking, NOT the map makers, as most of the data is already available to them, but they just don't bother to use it.
OS are wasting their time and my money unless they can persuade the manufacturers to actually use it in consumer devices as well as the more expensive truck versions and reduce the price of the Truck versions to encourage their use by those who need them. And it seems that they will be banging their heads against a brick wall there.
If you are a mobile home driver then pay a tiny fraction of the price of your Winnebago and get a truck version.
(And iGo still has directional third party camera alerts and has done for years)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
A lot of the data is already present in Truck versions, but left out of the bog standard consumer models.

That's a good point, I wonder if it is in the map data sent to nuvis etc though, or whether Garmin have a different map set for those models from the truck versions?

If it is the same map set it should be a simple tweak for a nuvi to use it, but it may be more complicated than that. HERE for example may charge Garmin more for the 'truck map' as it contains more data.

Guess only Garmin knows for sure Wink

Thankfully most of the time I don't get caught out by being sent down country lanes, on the odd occasion it has happened it's generally been no slower.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know. Who is Here? TomTom, ex Teleatlas?
That's as maybe, but surely they get the same data as TT and use it rather less well.
It's the Navteq (or whatever they call themselves these days) maps that work as expected on iGo, and the truck version has a separate .ftr map that gives the device info to avoid low bridges, narrow roads etc, but the 'normal' mapping has the driver alerts with narrow bridges, schools etc. And the default maps don't send you down stupidly narrow roads as the Garmin does. (I can't compare with TT as I don't have a TT, but I've not read anywhere near as much about bad routing on TT's devices compared with lots of stuff on Garmin's. Mine included)
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If iGo included the traffic like Garmin Digital I'd be over like a shot as the directional bonus would be a deal maker.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE bought out Navteq. Certainly there do seem to be more complaints about Garmin routing, but I think they have a larger customer base than TT which may explain it.

I tried TT but for many other reasons prefer Garmin, especially now their (digital) traffic is so accurate.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
If iGo included the traffic like Garmin Digital I'd be over like a shot as the directional bonus would be a deal maker.
You could always use Google maps for traffic and the avoid facility of iGO. Not an ideal solution I agree.
sussamb wrote:
Certainly there do seem to be more complaints about Garmin routing, but I think they have a larger customer base than TT which may explain it.
Or possibly that their routing algorithms are simply inferior despite multiple complaints about it.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
... Or possibly that their routing algorithms are simply inferior despite multiple complaints about it.

Possibly, although if you look at the TT forums there are complaints there too, whatever the routing there will always be someone unhappy with it as what's 'best' for some isn't for others.

It would be good if satnav makers could give more avoid options so that users could perhaps indicate if they want to avoid narrow lanes, country roads, routes marked as speed limit unknown etc etc but I can't see it happening.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor can I.

Google Maps ! On a PND?

I've tried my Smartphone a few times before (CamerAlert) and I'm unhappy with how hot it gets running continual GPS.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too on the heat
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
...I wonder if it is in the map data sent to nuvis etc though, or whether Garmin have a different map set for those models from the truck versions?

Quite a few years back, I managed to shoe-horn the Nüvi 465T firmware onto a Nüvi 2xx.
Garmin wrote:
No more narrow country lanes or impossible maneuvers with the nüvi 465T - our first nüvi designed specifically for the trucking professionals

This model, at least, used the standard map set. Telling it that my vehicle was 8' wide, changed the routing. But I couldn't tell if that was a change of algorithm (i.e. stick to the A roads), or there was additional data in the map set that it was making use of.

I'm guessing that the O/S announcement means that existing mapsets don't contain a great deal of such data - perhaps it's just bridges and other such anomalies, rather than comprehensive data for every data point, of every road. (Roads are stored in maps as 'points', rather than a line that has 'width'.)

I was watching the demo of the Uber self-driving Ford Mondeo/Fusions in Pennsylvania. There's a Garmin logo on the car, but Uber has re-mapped the city in greater detail. This Daily Mail article mentions both Microsoft and DigitalGlobe in connection with this, so it's not clear who's doing what.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: