Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Finding house names
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding house names

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolgti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Finding house names Reply with quote

Hi is there a sat nav or phone app that can find house names, I need one for my job as a meter reader in the uk,  I use a tomtom app at the moment witch is fine in built up areas but out in the country side the house are scattered miles apart the tomtom only takes me to the postcode centre witch is usually along way from the address im looking for, so does anyone know of something that can help speed up my day I'd be very grateful.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Search button at the top of the page, I found this old topic. Give it a scan and see whether anything still applies. Then try the search button yourself to look for more.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of any but this site may help in finding where houses actually are by name then you may be able to put the lat/long in:

http://m.royalmail.com/mt/www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting topic and one that I've never really given much thought to.

How do people like utility companies and courier companies manage? If people who live at 'The Shambles, Harlington' order stuff they don't presumably add their GPS to their order?

Maybe contact your local DHL or UPS and ask them what system they use?

Barry
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory the RM site suggested only allows a few codes at a time

The big carriers probably use the full postcode database - licenced at a cost
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RM site allows up to 50 searches a day to give the location of any postcode and is supposedly only for personal use. It gives the full postal address of all users of a postcode and offers to show any one individual premise on a map. However, the location in the map is only the central point, no use for several house names (not even for just one).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When postcodes were first introduced, the lowest level of codes were often actually allocated by the postmen delivering the mail - because they were the ones who knew the local area best, but this does explain why there are a number of inconsistencies in the system. The intention was to allocate an average of 15 properties per postcode, and to use natural breaks (e.g. road junctions) to separate the different postcodes. In general, this works pretty well in urban areas, but not so well in rural locations, where there are often a lot of named properties (rather than numbered) situated a long way apart.

An exception to the above is larger mail users (usually businesses) where individual premises were given their own postcodes.

The system also falls down where companies like TomTom (at least on my old 550!) translate a postcode to a full road, rather than a segment of a road or an individual premises, for navigation purposes.

I suspect postcodes were introduced as an afterthought for the British satnav market, and implemented in a way that shoehorned it into the process used in other countries (where road name is king), rather than starting from a blank page.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: