Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CaermaAlert and IOS10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CaermaAlert and IOS10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sibs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: CaermaAlert and IOS10 Reply with quote

Have been using CamerAlert on IOS for a long while and have always been happy.

However I updated to IOS10 a few weeks ago, and now due to the new way that IOS10 displays Alerts, the warnings for upcoming cameras are almost impossible to spot......

On IOS 9 and earlier, when you approached a camera using Google maps navigation, a nice big white rectangle popped up in the middle of the screen to warn you, but with IOS10 the only things that is happening is a very light coloured warning at the very top of the screen, which you can't really notice when driving.

Anyone have a similar issues, or is there a way of changing the notification settings to get something similar to the old style warning ?

Thanks,

John
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used iOS 10 (not even sure if my ancient iPhone 5 will run it, or even where it is...

However, you used to be able to go to the main phone Settings app, then Notifications and then change the notification type from being a pop up in the middle of the screen or one that appears at the top of the screen. Is this option still available? I wonder if the default notification type has changed?

MaFt
akkipaa
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated 10 (5S) and now .2 version during the weekend and I don't see any significant differencies. Cameras appear to screen (I am using "no map" option) as they appeared previously. The only change is that when launching the app I can see whole screen camera for a short period and that I dinät remember from previous versions.

I haven't posted yet, but even bloetooth/call sync seem to be better currently with BMW car audio. As discussed in many threads, voice alarms disappeared when using BMW bluetooth and after you had a call. Testing is difficult to me, because the situation is in my wife's car, but just a one short test during weekend and the bt-connection did not drop out. She's using 6S and 9.5.x IOS. I check later, upter she update the 10 what is situation with the newest IOS.
Sibs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt / Akkipaa,

Thanks for your replies.

I've double checked my notification settings, and have CamerAlert set to show "Alerts' when unlocked, as it was with earlier versions of IOS.

However, the only notifications from CamerAlert when running Google maps still appear very discreetly at the very top of the phone screen and are easily missed. The 'Close' and 'Confirm' buttons which were visible in previous IOS versions are also missing.

Looking at the Notifications menu, it seems that Alerts in IOS 10 have now been reconfigured to appear at the top of the screen only.

At the moment, the notifications from CamerAlert are pretty much useless, so hope I can get this sorted.

Thanks

John
[/img]
akkipaa
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retested with Google Maps and you are right, Apple has redesigned banners/notifications. Normally I have only CA running (I use other equipment to navigate) and did't see any change, but while only shortly testing I didn't notice any difference with banners/notifications CA selection when using Google Maps. I retest during the weekend.
akkipaa
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove yesterday with IOS 10, CA and Google Maps. As already said, Apple has redesigned notification setup and both banner and alarm appear at the top of the screen.

Banners are not changed, but alarm pop-up has. You can clear the alarm by swiping it up or touching it, when CA is opened. I think the functionality is handy.
akkipaa
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, you said that; "only thing is ... alert on top...". Aren't you using voice alerts from CA, are you? I drive with banners and with voice it's really ok, with or without Google Map.
Sibs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Am personally not a fan of voice warnings (or even Sat Nav voice guidance for that matter) so normally run everything on silent....However, since the IOS10 update I have set CA to sound a small 'Ding' before upcoming cameras, which compensates for the lack of a prominent visual warning.

On a side issue, it now seems better to have CA use 'Banners' instead of "Alerts' for the visual warning. The banners pop up and then disappear, but in IOS10 alerts now stay on screen permanently until dismissed with a swipe. So the screen can still be warning you of a camera long after you have driven past it.

Thanks

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: