Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Step-by step guide: Fortuna clip-on to an Axim X30.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Step-by step guide: Fortuna clip-on to an Axim X30.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seg1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Step-by step guide: Fortuna clip-on to an Axim X30. Reply with quote

All,
I have now managed to connect a Fortuna clip-on to the AximX30. It has not been straight forward, but going through hundreds of messages on this (and other) forums, I got there. As a "thanks" to all the helpful people here, I thought I will put together a step-by-step guide of how I did it. Hope it might be of some use to other newbies.

Step one: make sure that the GPS device works as expected (no need for PDA at this stage)
1. charge up BT GPS receiver - wait until charge light goes green.
2. check that BT GPS receiver can get a fix.
This was my major problem. I left it by the window for hours, the led would stay red. I tried ST and XT modes, no luck - red light. No fix. On advice from the forums, I removed the battery for 30 mins. This is supposed to reset the device. Put the battery back in, take it out in the garden, switch on, and bingo, green light, satellite fix. So, if you cannot get the light to go green, take the battery out, wait for 30 mins, re-assemble and try again.

Step two: bond the BT GPS receiver to your PDA
You need to follow the instructions that came with your PDA for this, but it usually is straight forward. When the bond has been established, the left led on the Fortuna BT GPS receiver will flash blue.

Step three: Establish flow of data between BT GPS receiver and PDA
1. make sure that steps one and two above have been completed successfully – so you have a green light on the Fortuna (satellite fix) and the BT connection is active.
2. On the PDA, open a GPS control application – such as the TT GPS applet, or crux-view. Set the protocol to NMEAv2 and the baud rate to 38400. Play with the com ports until you can “see” the BT GPS receiver. On the Axim, you need to select COM7.

Step four: run your favourite SatNav software. That’s it – you are in business!

A useful trick to allow you to auto-start the BT connection, is posted by TC in the "Clip-On / 2210 / Fugawi UK start-up queries" thread on this forum, it involves a registry hack but it's easy and works. It makes the GPS connection seemless if the Fortuna is switched on and the GPS has been paired properly.

Hope this is of some use to other newbies,
seg
jeremy_norbury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this.

Have you got a link to the "registry hack" thread?
seg1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the registry hack was mentioned for the first time in this thread, in a message posted by lbendlin on Sept 17 2003.

seg

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: