Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Android 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Android 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asperion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: HTC 10 Reply with quote

SHC wrote:
Just got an HTC 10 and the app crashes as soon as I try to launch the app.
re-installed, reset etc.
Any ideas?

See fix above for an HTC One M9, which should work for an HTC 10.
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CamerAlert on Xperia Reply with quote

Duddy wrote:
Did you check the location of the program in your phone as per my suggestion above. ?

yup.... everything on internal memory .. still won't work, thanks for the thought ... might be that android 6.0.1 sorts it .. but sony have not released it for the xperia Z5 compact yet ...
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My installation is also on the internal storage, do not have any apps installed in the external card.

I have never moved it so it must have installed there by default
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a thought (dangerous I know .. Smile ) is there any way of directly downloading the .apk file and trying an install that way ?? Just wondering if the google store/auto-install might be causing the problem and a direct install might work ??
westcatford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I endorse the solutions posted by Duddy and Asperion?
I have a Blackberry Priv running Marshmallow 6.01 with an SD card formatted as internal storage.
On initial installation of Cameralert it would not run at all and crashed immediately.
Following their suggestions I checked the installation location and found that the app had installed to the SD card. Having moved it, it now runs, albeit it seems to be a bit flakey and still crashes occasionally.
Given that one of the touted advantages of Marshmallow is the ability to use a (suitably fast) SD card as internal storage, I suspect that many will accept the option without knowing all the implications. From my experience, to unscramble it requires a system reset. Could I therefore add to the encouragement offered to the developers to make the default install location intermal memory? I haven't had the 'location' issue with any other app.
merlindriver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its a strange one and no mistake. I have an Xperia Z2 with a water damaged camera and a new Z5 to replace it. Both run on Marshmallow and CamerAlert runs fine on the Z2 but crashes immediately on the Z5. On both it loaded into internal memory and I have tried forcing it to the SD card on the Z5 but no joy. I even tried loading it using the apk fike from the Z2 backup I made and that made no difference. A real shame as its a good app - but at least I can use the old phone as a Sat Nav.
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the results of some research/playing is basically "not good" ... firstly, found and downloaded a .apk which was placed on internal memory and installed .. result .. crashes the same as ever, browsing the internal memory and comparing to the old phone wher it was installd on the SD card .. files/folders certainly missing. It would appear that sony have "removed" adoptable storage from Android 6 (marshmallow) and the OS simply will not read the SD card for programmes, it only accepts limited forms of data, mp3, mp4, jpg etc etc. The .apk "appears" to try and copy files to the SD card by default, and fails, which is why it continually crashes.

The solution, it seems, is that the .apk needs rewriting so that the default location of all files/folders is internal storage not SD card, and despite several folk asking for this it would appear the developers are unwilling to help.

I might be wrong, and will apologise profusely if I am, but despite numerous folk having the same problem, thats the way it looks to me. Sad
merlindriver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look and it does seem that the app puts a small amount of data on the SD card. It seems odd that the 2 phones are both running the same version of Android and on e is ok but the other isn't. I might try the Z5 without a card to see what happens.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm going to get flamed but why should the onus fall upon the app developers? They make a couple of quid, at most, for each app sale and you expect them to support you for life.?

The real money is being made at the Andriod/iThing/Google/phone manufacturer level. They should be the ones making sure that your purchases are carried through from generation to generation. But they don't give a damn because they know that people shall keep paying big bucks for the latest "must have" and then blame the little guys when it doesn't work.

Edited, by AoH
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:06 pm; edited 8 times in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This *is* a nightmare though. It works on vanilla Android Marshmallow (6) so it must be something that Sony and One Plus are doing to Android in their modifications.

The crash reports aren't helping and, without a device to work with directly, it's very difficult to try resolve anything.

As has been said, it's something that is still being looked at.

MaFt
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post by merlindriver gave me an idea .. so power phone off, remove SD Card, power phone on, download and install from google play..... result ...

Crashes just like before .. Sad
merlindriver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entwood wrote:
Post by merlindriver gave me an idea .. so power phone off, remove SD Card, power phone on, download and install from google play..... result ...

Crashes just like before .. Sad

Bah - it was worth a try Sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, we don't force any location for install.

It's set to 'auto'

Quote:
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"

package="com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert"

android:installLocation="auto"

android:versionCode="876"

android:versionName="1.4.0.876" >
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I admit to knowing nothing about writing .apks or developing programmes for the android platform, however, I do know a little about computers and programming ( the latter being some 30 years ago mind) and this is annoying me to say the least, so a little research and by downloading and investigating the .apk, I have so far, found a couple of things that "might" (??) affect the running of the app.

As MaFt says above, under the AndroidManifest.xml file the install is set to "auto", however, a few lines down are a couple of android permission statements ...

'android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION'

and

'android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE'

Now, and this is a question not a statement, although the app installs to an auto location, and it appears to install without error, when it runs it crashes, could this be because the "permissions" are trying to write to external storage which Sony seem to have blocked ?? Thus when the attempt to write to the external storage fails the app fails ??

I have looked at 2 other apks that have installed and seem to run correctly, and neither of them have these two lines, although, to be honest, they are very simple apps ....

Just thoughts, and as I said, my programming days were PASCAL / DELPHI and I've forgetton 99.9% of that as well !!

Regards

E

EDIT : Since writing this further reseach has discovered that "FINE_LOCATION" has nowt to do with file location but is actually a gps location !!

BUT ... I also found this little gem ... which appears to be relevant ...

https://developer.android.com/training/permissions/requesting.html

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33162152/storage-permission-error-in-marshmallow

Hope this helps in some small way
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

entwood wrote:

'android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE'

Now, and this is a question not a statement, although the app installs to an auto location, and it appears to install without error, when it runs it crashes, could this be because the "permissions" are trying to write to external storage which Sony seem to have blocked ?? Thus when the attempt to write to the external storage fails the app fails ??

[SNIP]

BUT ... I also found this little gem ... which appears to be relevant ...

https://developer.android.com/training/permissions/requesting.html

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33162152/storage-permission-error-in-marshmallow

Hope this helps in some small way

...my Nexus 5x doesn't have external storage and it works fine.

The links you posted aren't completely relevant to this as far as I can tell. The answers about the permissions are Marhsmallow-specific BUT apps would still work without the specific, individual pemission. We're not running a 'Marshmallow App' so the permissions are agreed by the user at the time of install as opposed to asking per permission as it happens in the app. Not sure if that makes sense?!

PLUS: I'm not entirely sure what we write to the external storage. As far as I'm aware, the database etc is stored within the app's folder. It could be a required permission for storing track-logs and photos being taken within the app.

I'll pass on the link to Lutz anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: