Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Many thanks Natasha. Very Happy
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
sooteee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: RAC 05 Discount Code Reply with quote

If Natasha is still watching the code PGPS16 valid till 30-04-16 is not accepted on the proofcam site, any ideas?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed Natasha.
sooteee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. Very Happy
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All should be working fine now. Apologies for the inconvenience.
sooteee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Rob, code works now my bloody PayPal is playing up! Typical....got a few days to get it sorted...cheers Very Happy
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing any good?
Reviews are mixed, with maybe a slight majority saying it's ok but not worth the money.

I can't get the Garmin system in my Merc working reliably enough (long story) so am looking to try something else. Currently have a Transcend dash cam that's very good but no cameras, this would replace it. But I need to know its 100% effective with the cams, don't want to swap one half working system for another. Also concerned we can't update this ourselves, did I read bi-monthly updates? That's nowhere near good enough.

Does it have wifi? My transcend creates its own hotspot to transfer recordings to your laptop, iPad, whatever. Does anyone have any video of the display? Would like to see how the alerts are presented, and are they configurable as regards distance etc or just set?

Thanks.
:-)
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like it, but everyone has their own opinion.

Speed cam updates are stated as every fortnight. When it first came out the updates were a bit farther apart but recently it has been pretty much every 2 weeks.

Since it doesn't have a map (well it is a dash cam, not a satnav) it will trigger if there is a camera within range on an adjacent street but it works out pretty quickly if that camera is no longer of interest. Warnings are directional too and warning time seems to be speed related. Warnings are audible chime and also a camera icon with speed limit which take up most of the screen. In SPECS zones it also gives your average speed between cameras (as well as stated limit).

no WiFi. Recordings can be played back on inbuilt screen, but you'd have to remove the card to transfer the files. It does have a video out port but I have never used that.

I don't now which Transcend you have but the one in our family doesn't have GPS so it keeps forgetting the time & date (& no speed cams either). The RAC 05 picks up date & time from GPS signal.

I don't know the issue with your Garmin, but running the RAC 05 in parallel with a TomTom, the alerts matched.

John.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate.
The Garmin is a long story.
My Transcend doesn't have GPS no, I've had it a fair few years and such things weren't really bothered with in the first gens.

This looks promising, I would like to see pictures and videos of it though, that seems lacking in all the promos and reviews I've seen. If I were trying to sell an item like this, such pictures and demo videos would be the first thing I'd do.

I don't want to see what it records (They're all pretty much the sane), I wa t to see it in action, see what the alerts look like etc.

Thanks again, might wander up the shops and have a look.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the alerts on this customisable? Can you select alert distance etc?
Don't suppose someone could make a short video of it working and showing how the alerts are displayed please? (I don't need a sample of the video the unit records)

Thanks muchly :-)
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alerts are not customisable but distance seems to be speed dependent

John.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis1 wrote:
Are the alerts on this customisable? Can you select alert distance etc?
Don't suppose someone could make a short video of it working and showing how the alerts are displayed please? (I don't need a sample of the video the unit records)

Thanks muchly :-)
Have you looked at MaFt's review?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have. I just wondered if they had changed the software at all since launch.
A 450M alert is totally inadequate at motorway speed. That, with its lack of customisation and the 50/50 split OK/bad reviews I've seen mean. 'I'm out!' ;-)

Nice idea, more work required IMO, and I wonder if anyone's thought to add digital traffic to a dash cam as well. Won't reroute or anything obviously, but it could alert you to upcoming issues.
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Speed Camera Update problems? Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed the lack of recent updates for this RAC05?

The inclusion of regular fortnightly updates to the PGPSW data was one of the main attractions for me but it has quickly turned to disappointment I am afraid.

There have been a few "new files" posted on the proofcam website but they have either been repeats of the previous release or even an OLDER version?

For example there was an updated file posted today labelled a 15072016 - trouble is it is the same version as the one listed as an update on 06062016 - more than 5 weeks ago!

In the interim the "update" posted on 20062016 was an even OLDER version?

Unfortunately ALL the the firmware and speedcam files on the proofcam website are only described with the date they appeared on the site whereas when you check your camera menu it tells you the proper version numbers - so it is impossible to reference one against the other.

The camera hardware and the video it produces are quite good but unfortunately some parts of the firmware and OS as well as the lack of promised updates to the camera database leave a lot to be desired.

Finding a decent file viewer is also a problem for the "MOV" format it uses. The supplied software is extremely poor. Others will not handle the enhanced HD format and my old favourite, Registrator, does not like the files at all.
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just had it confirmed from proofcam - when you go into the menu page for firmware on the camera and it tells you the versions you have installed for firmware and speedcam data - it actually does NOT - the second item on this page - something like "V0198K" actually means the speedcam file is 198k in size !!!!!!!

Useful, NOT!

So you can't actually find the date or version of the file you have loaded!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: