Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Your ideal satnav - wish-list of features
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Your ideal satnav - wish-list of features
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterSm wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to see

• the ability for it to "learn"....

Ah, great idea - but not only your preferred routes, but also your driving habits.

Like in France, driving my campervan, I'll do average 60mph on autoroutes. But TomTom calculates my arrival time assuming I'll be doing 80mph. Not only that, it calculates quickest route on that false assumption often putting in extra miles of m-way driving because going at average car speeds it'll shave off a minute. But not for me.

Just as Google, Amazon etc build up a profile of us, so should the sat-nav!

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin satnavs do apparently learn your driving style and adjust the speeds that they use to calculate ETA etc. However in your case if you're switching between car and campervan that won't help, unless you buy separate satnavs Wink

I agree setting separate profiles would be good for some, as would allowing users to set their own average speeds for specific road types.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it to show the next junction number on motorways. If I'm travelling a long way on a motorway I don't always notice the number on the junction signposts but find it nice to know how many junctions there are before I turn off.
Samsung Galaxy S21
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Garmin satnavs do apparently learn your driving style and adjust the speeds that they use to calculate ETA etc. However in your case if you're switching between car and campervan that won't help, unless you buy separate satnavs Wink

Interesting the Garmin does that. As it happens my campervan is also my runaround, so happy with just the one sat-nav!

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
Richud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Your ideal satnav - wish-list of features Reply with quote

I've had both TomTom and Garmin devices. However, the Garmin I had frustrated me so much, I had to return to TomTom. The main issue was the number of steps required to input information (8) and the difficulty of accessing useful menus whilst driving - without having to search menus. Also, voice control took me to favourites, but then it wouldn't continue to anything in the list, so it had to be manually spelt.

With TomTom MyDrive, not being able to decide my preferred map route and then send it to the device (5100) has not only annoyed me, but many other users. This is a feature that we want to work. One trial map journey suggested I drive 185 miles instead of the 145 miles I would normally take. I could not change this and adding 'stops' instead of the old 'via' was hopeless, because adding a stop on the M1 before the turn to my desired route would never give me the overall distance or ETA.

I don't need my SatNav unit to do anything other than traffic and map-related things - no music or video, or linking for phone calls. I just want to be able to get from A to B and if anything changes along the way, I want a simple press of an already visible button to sort everything out.
DougChandler
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few, starting way back with my handheld eTrex Vista, which I then hooked up to my iPaq and used TomTom, then moved to CoPilot, then a few different free apps, now I use Waze.
TomTom was great and very intuitive and found the navigation to be pretty good.
CoPilot was ok, navigation mostly ok, I had traffic free for a year with this one but I found it to be a bit unreliable, sometimes it would warn of problems when there was nothing there, other times no warning for a major problem, so a bit pointless having it.
Now I use Waze which I have to say is awesome. You need a data connection to use it as everything is downloaded as you need it, no maps stored on your device. Traffic is quite reliable, but it was better before Google bought it, now there are sometimes problems reported when there is nothing there.
Specifically for Waze I wish:
    There was a way of reporting an issue affecting both sides of the road
    The offline reporting was better (if you have a poor signal you cannot report issues)
    You cannot report road closures unless you are near them at the time and even then only at junctions (so a closure because of an accident in the middle of a stretch of motorway, the accident can but not the closure)
    Also it would be useful to be able to plan a route in advance on the web and send it to your device
    And use predictive traffic for your journey, especially when you have an hour or two driving, the traffic is likely to have changed in that time by the time you reach that part of the journey
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougChandler wrote:

Now I use Waze which I have to say is awesome. You need a data connection to use it

Going by your wish list for it, seems lacking. Certainly needed data connection a no no for me - just been up west coast of Scotland. Not a phone signal to be had.

marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What used to be Mapsahre on TomTom would be great if rolled out across different platforms. Every time I update the maps on my Garmin, the avoidance areas are ignored,easy locally but a pig for those out of my locality Sad

Mark
purplebus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: third party POI's Reply with quote

a deal breaker for me would be to lose the ability to use 3rd party POI's on my SatNav.
Where would I be without Pocket GPS speed cameras in the UK
Abroad we use all sorts of POI's from campsites to supermarkets that are not included in most SatNav's available today.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: