Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mounting satnav on windscreen a threat to safety
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting satnav on windscreen a threat to safety
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrolhead276
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Mount Reply with quote

timsim wrote:
I find that a vent mount is the best place. It is easy to see but does not get in the way.
Be careful if you go to the USA. Many states do not allow windscreen mounting at all. I'm going to Utah, and it has to be mounted in a 4 x 3 inch rectangle in the bottom corner of the passenger side. I'm using something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17mm-Ball-Vehicle-Car-Air-Vent-Mount-Base-for-Garmin-Nuvi-series-GPS-SatNav-/380867833498.
You can not argue with an American policeman (well, you can if you do not mind getting Tazered).

ebay link gives following error
This listing (380867833498.) has been removed, or this item isn't available.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Mount Reply with quote

petrolhead276 wrote:
timsim wrote:
I'm using something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17mm-Ball-Vehicle-Car-Air-Vent-Mount-Base-for-Garmin-Nuvi-series-GPS-SatNav-/380867833498.
You can not argue with an American policeman (well, you can if you do not mind getting Tazered).

I think the link should be without the trailing full stop.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
bmwpc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Missing Logic to the Argument Reply with quote

Start at the problem not the solution. The "problem" is the nav unit or whatever is being used. If you are to look at it, you are already diverting attention away from your driving. So unless your unit is blocking an absolute primary spot on your windshield where you are actually looking through, there is NO distraction or reduction in your usable viewing area. IE Ig I stick the unit on my rearview mirror it certainly would not hurt my forward vision but it would hurt my rearward vision, Now put that same device in the upper corner of your windscreen where you don't look for traffic, unless low flying planes frequent your driving route, you are using "viewable" area but no area that you normally or even infrequently use while driving. The bottom line is, if you place it anywhere not in your direct line of view, you have to take your eyes away from driving no matter if it is for 1/2 second or 5 seconds. And, no matter where it is, if it is located IN your driving line of sight, you degrade that by a variable amount. It is logically impossible to not have it one way or the other.
bmwpc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Mount Reply with quote

petrolhead276 wrote:
timsim wrote:
I find that a vent mount is the best place. It is easy to see but does not get in the way.
Be careful if you go to the USA. Many states do not allow windscreen mounting at all. I'm going to Utah, and it has to be mounted in a 4 x 3 inch rectangle in the bottom corner of the passenger side. I'm using something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17mm-Ball-Vehicle-Car-Air-Vent-Mount-Base-for-Garmin-Nuvi-series-GPS-SatNav-/380867833498.

Thanks for your anti America and law enforcement drivel. Please don't come to the US as an attitude like that will not serve you well. If you wish to slander at least learn to spell or you may get TASERED. Of NEVER have travelled to the US and NEVER will from Sussucks.
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Sat Navs obscuring view Reply with quote

As a ex Police traffic Officer and accident investigator I fully agree that Sat Navs etc should not be obscuring the drivers view.
Now I've retired I spend 6 days a week helping out at my sons garage. One of my jobs is taking cars and light vans for the MOT test.
When I get a vehicle with a sat nav or phone carrier obscuring my view I remove it, sometimes the owner objects until I point out if I leave it up the vehicle will fail the MOT.
Anything greater than 10mm withing the wiper swept area and in a band 290mm wide cetrered on the steering wheel is a failure and anything (other than official stickers) greater than 40mm wide within the wiper swept area is also a failure.
I took a phone carrier down that would have been directly in front of me when driving and but below my eye line. when I saw the driver, the carrier would have been directly level with her eyes and when I asked why she had the carrier there ? reply "I like to see who's calling me" Biting my lips I asked Does'nt it obscrure her view to the front.
Reply "Yes, but I've only bumped into 1 cyclist a bit" Evil or Very Mad
Sometimes I wish I was back in the job.
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat Navs obscuring view Reply with quote

Duddy wrote:

I took a phone carrier down that would have been directly in front of me when driving and but below my eye line. when I saw the driver, the carrier would have been directly level with her eyes and when I asked why she had the carrier there ? reply "I like to see who's calling me" Biting my lips I asked Does'nt it obscrure her view to the front.
Reply "Yes, but I've only bumped into 1 cyclist a bit".

Can't help some folks Rolling Eyes

Sad thing is that idiots like that will one day injure themselves or others Evil or Very Mad
petrolhead276
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Logic to the Argument Reply with quote

bmwpc wrote:
.......The bottom line is, if you place it anywhere not in your direct line of view, you have to take your eyes away from driving no matter if it is for 1/2 second or 5 seconds. ........

Advanced driving techniques teach you to scan the road ahead which means from side to side, long & short distances.

So the comment about taking your eyes off the road ahead is true, up to a point, as one does exactly that when looking in the rear view or door mirrors.

Although in my experience there are a lot of people on the road who don't even do use their mirrors unless they are about to pull out.
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time this was taken seriously. People just seem to think now that the middle of the windscreen below the mirror is the standard position to put a sat nav. Confused Maybe they should bring in a law about it if people don't change what they do with these? At least it's something the police could see straight away when they drive past.

I use the item below on the right hand side of the dashboard with my sat nav attached. Its not as if you have to keep looking at it anyway as it tells you where you're going and tells you when to turn. You may have to look just to see what road you're on or the name of the road you've turned into.
jonrome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago I was told by an MOT examiner that it was a fail if any part of the swept area of the windscreen is obscured.
Aviva had an ad campaign for their safety app which showed a phone in the middle of the windscreen. It ran for a long time but I like to think they eventually took notice of my comments even though I got no acknowledgement back from them
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freedy50 wrote:
Maybe they should bring in a law about it if people don't change what they do with these? At least it's something the police could see straight away when they drive past.
There is already, and it's an MoT test fail, but all they do is take it off and of course then what happens. Rolling Eyes
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freedy50 wrote:

Mine is in a similar positioned, on a beanbag mount, it obscures some of the bonnet.
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Sat Nav position Reply with quote

Best place in my view is on the bottom right hand corner. That way you are not blocking your view of the road. Never place one in the middle of your screen.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA_0818123658 wrote:
A universal bracket system, with electrical charging contacts should be adopted and mounted on every cars dashboard...

rf065
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritBrat wrote:
Have you ever seen a police car and what they have on the wind screen?

Maybe normal driving laws don't apply to them? They are also allowed to use a mobile phone or radio equipment while driving unlike everyone else.

Russ
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rf065 wrote:
BritBrat wrote:
Have you ever seen a police car and what they have on the wind screen?

Maybe normal driving laws don't apply to them?

Well normal rules do apply but all the emergency services have exceptions for certain situations, otherwise they wouldn't be able to break speed limits etc Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: