Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom thinks personal sat nav still has legs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom thinks personal sat nav still has legs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: TomTom thinks personal sat nav still has legs Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
TomTom announced the launch of new personal navigation devices on Tuesday. The new 'Start' models are available in three variants, 42 (4.3" screen), 52 (5" screen) and 62 (6" screen) and all share an integrated reversible mount.

Features include Advanced Lane Guidance, Average Speed limit data and TomTom's 'Lifetime Maps'.

Clearly there is still a market for these devices but the writing must surely be on the wall. More and more of us use our smartphones for navigation and, aside from the larger screens that are available are there any compelling reasons to invest in a dedicated nav device nowadays?

Source: www.tomtom.com

email icon

marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a standalone unit and don't want to use my phone, but cannot go back to TomTom while I can't use my own POI's properly.

Mark
larry17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Own POIs Reply with quote

I agree Marksfish, not being able to use my own POIs is a why I am not replacing my present older Tomtom! They really do need to take a second look at this policy. It's costing them a lot of sales, IMO.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that the POI situation for TT is not costing them 'lots of sales', but a loss of a tiny fraction of their sales and quite a saving on Customer Support.
toots347
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Standalone TT Reply with quote

I still use mine as the inbuilt Nav unit in my Opel is not actually very good. Looks good but has no traffic, can't be updated, except at vast cost, has useless traffic info and picks the oddest routes you can imagine. Yes, my TT isn't perfect but it's the dog's whatsits compared to the Opel thing!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us who do use stand alone satnavs probably will continue to do so for some time yet. My phone just doesn't cut it for the way I use my satnav, and like others I find that built in devices are expensive to update etc etc. What would be ideal would be a slot in my car into which I could simply fit a stand alone device, but can't see that being introduced by the relevant manufacturers.
Bratters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I just want to go from A to B my smart phone is fine, but mostly I am using custom routes for which my Phone is impossible, but my Zumo 390 is great.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phones apps while now have all (or most) of the features these days, large displays and are faster than dedicated units because of better processes still don't work well for me

Mainly because everything from set-up to onscreen or voice control is more awkward than a good dedicated

For some of us it will be some time yet before the switch - as I will wait until smartphone to incar screen works well as I think that will provide the best overall solution

So good to see TT and Garmin releasing new units this month - but would like to see some new high end TTs with some extra features and slicker build, faster processors
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Skumba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C4 Picasso Satnav, which is the same as used in all other Peugeot/Citroen vehicles is an absolute nightmare to operate, and it regularly "disagrees" with my Go Live 1005 Camper (bought recently for the SD card to allow Full European Maps). I have followed it to test it when the disagreements arise a few times, and to be fair it has not been too far off course.
But..!! Programming is an absolute nightmare, updating it annually would pay for a new hand-held every year, and the traffic data is derived from Coyote, which is a diamond in France, working similar to Waze where it takes information directly from drivers and is updated instantly regarding road incidents (stopped vehicles etc.) but here in the UK it is less use than a chocolate teapot.
Similarly, my Renault Zoe has TomTom on board. Well, yes, OK... But Renault has fiddled with it, reducing its efficiency, and once again an annual set of maps and traffic data will pay for a top-end TotmTom at least every second year.
Hand-held SatNav is here to stay until Motor manufacturers stop thinking they know better than TT or Garmin etc.
It really is crazy being forced to run two Satnav systems side by side but I HATE the unfriendly attitude of my built in Satnav - even the "TomTom" in my Renault.
IPAQ H2210 1993.... GO LIVE 1005 Europe 2011, 1005 Camper 2015, 5200 WFi 2016 and TT still can't get metric speed limit info right in the UK. 70mph is NOT 115kmh. It is 113 as my old IPAQ knew so well!
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sticking with my 930, because I like the remote control. I like to be able to alter the volume without taking my eyes off the road.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skumba wrote:
My C4 Picasso Satnav, which is the same as used in all other Peugeot/Citroen vehicles is an absolute nightmare to operate, and it regularly "disagrees" with my Go Live 1005 Camper (bought recently for the SD card to allow Full European Maps). I have followed it to test it when the disagreements arise a few times, and to be fair it has not been too far off course.
But..!! Programming is an absolute nightmare, updating it annually would pay for a new hand-held every year, and the traffic data is derived from Coyote, which is a diamond in France, working similar to Waze where it takes information directly from drivers and is updated instantly regarding road incidents (stopped vehicles etc.) but here in the UK it is less use than a chocolate teapot.
Similarly, my Renault Zoe has TomTom on board. Well, yes, OK... But Renault has fiddled with it, reducing its efficiency, and once again an annual set of maps and traffic data will pay for a top-end TotmTom at least every second year.
Hand-held SatNav is here to stay until Motor manufacturers stop thinking they know better than TT or Garmin etc.
It really is crazy being forced to run two Satnav systems side by side but I HATE the unfriendly attitude of my built in Satnav - even the "TomTom" in my Renault.

Exactly. Thats why something - once more widespread - like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with will take control back to the software provider, with the car just providing the screen, touch and sound hardware
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both our cars, my Scion tC and the wife's Hyundai Veloster, have six inch nav screens in the center of the dash. Hers is factory, mine is an aftermarket unit from Pioneer, with NavNGo. We both have phones with 5 inch screens. If we really wanted to use a TomTom PND, we could grab the the 710 from the bookshelf. Although it would probably take a week to find itself. But it's from when TomTom had an actual peak in sight -never actually did reach it- and it's been downhill for their products ever since.
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from Apple iPhone 3 some years back in favour of an android, and rely on my old faithful 520Go.
Having just bought a new car, it only accepts navigation for its inbuilt screen from smart phone technology, so here I am again, with another iPhone, which connects via lightning cable rather than Bluetooth. It's a neater option, but still prefer the TomTom Go and the updates from this site. The 520 seems to work better, the iPhone can lose location signal too easy?

Take care, keep your eyes on the road, not the navigator?

chas
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with an iPAQ H3970 running TomTom Navigator 2 software. When the original TomTom GO came out I said that I wouldn't get a PND but for some reason I stopped buying newer PDAs possibly because Compaq/HP stopped making decent one - possibly because the PNDs took over the navigation. In the end I have had several GOs (ONE, 730, 950). When I got my first iPhone I stared to use TomTom navigation on it so I've gone full circle from PDA, to PND, to smart phone (which also acts as my PDA and SatNav).

marksfish wrote:
I prefer a standalone unit and don't want to use my phone, but cannot go back to TomTom while I can't use my own POI's properly.

larry17 wrote:
I agree Marksfish, not being able to use my own POIs is a why I am not replacing my present older Tomtom! They really do need to take a second look at this policy. It's costing them a lot of sales, IMO.

M8TJT wrote:
I would imagine that the POI situation for TT is not costing them 'lots of sales', but a loss of a tiny fraction of their sales and quite a saving on Customer Support.

I agree with M8TJT, the trouble is that latter TomTom products haven't had Third Party POI support so the newer users don't miss what they haven't had - therefore they don't complain. Rolling Eyes

If you really want TomTom to listen then email the CEO and ask them to re-instate full Third Party POI support on all (PNDs, iPhone, and Android) products.

For the iPhone users out there, there is a new TomTom product called the TomTom GO Mobile which at the moment is still being developed so you might call it a public beta testing. Please download it and comment in the TomTom iPhone forum. Don't forget to mention how much you need full Third Party POI support, some people (including myself) have already done so - but more people that do so will help the cause! Wink

Again for iPhone users, if you need POI support then I recommend POIViewer, although you can't see the POIs on your TomTom app, you can create, modify, and navigate to POIs using POIViewer, which incidentally has been just updated to interact with the new TomTom GO Mobile app. Yes POIViewer does cost £2.99 but in my opinion it's worth it.

For Android users, sorry - I don't know whether the Android version of TomTom GO Mobile app has full Third Party POI support. If it doesn't then ask for it in the TomTom Android forum.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
GrizzledPete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Mobile SatNav app v. dedicated SatNav Reply with quote

The Achilles heal" of the mobile SatNav app is that they need a Network Connection to be of use. Get lost in the wilds of the countryside with no 3G/4G signal and you stay lost! And not only that, many of the major roads in Hampshire (my patch) are devoid of coverage. Then there is the difficulty/limitations to re-program/route them on the move - limited "points of interest", no preferred routes or avoidance.
That said I do use the WAZE app (and a very good app it is in it's own way) PLUS a TomTom GO when on a journey and find the combination ideal - WAZE for "instant" on the go road and travel information from the WAZE "community" and the TomTom for ease of Routing (letting WAZE catch up as and when). This combination of WAZE and TomTom have saved me countless hours of travel time and frustration. If and when all this can be found in one unit it then will be the ideal - but I'm not holding my breath!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: