Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO Failures - Was (TT Go gone phut)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO Failures - Was (TT Go gone phut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My charger blew after 5 weeks use, so looks like something failed inside it. I am just setting off for Germany and Austria, I will be able to report on the length of battery life between mains powered recharges in a couple of weeks.
IW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my previous post, I am assuming that something did go wrong in the charger and that it had not been putting out 12v all the time and that after 5 weeks the Go had had enough and gave up!!!!!
Ade_ttg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just received a reply from TomTom tech support, they say they are not aware of any problems with the in car charger. I'm off out to buy a multimeter.

Ade
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what they mean is "we know of no general problem with car chargers". They certainly know of 2 specific problems, coz they have replaced GOs under warranty after being fried by faulty chargers.

I guess what we all want to know is - were these simply 2 isolated problems - dealt with by TomTom as all other isolated problems are? Or is there a bigger problem waiting to bite us?

It strikes me that without this forum I would never have found out about IWs problem and I would not be at all concerned. Now I am aware, I check my car charger before I plug it into my GO.
Ade_ttg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old_Phil wrote:
It strikes me that without this forum I would never have found out about IWs problem and I would not be at all concerned. Now I am aware, I check my car charger before I plug it into my GO.

You're checking it every time? Surely if it's ok to start with it will stay that way??

Ade
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your all worrying un-necessary. There's only two user's that have had a problem, out of how many sold?

If hundereds of users had a fault like this, then yes, TomTom should issue a re-call for the affected models.
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754 is right of course -

However two points

1. IWs unit failed after 5 weeks use. Something broke inside.
2. We only know of 2 incidences. How many people with GOs read/use this forum. How many of them have reorted their charger failures. We just don't know.

Even my massively over-cautious approach won't help if the failure happens when the charger is on load - which is most likely anyway. I'll probably check for a week or so, get bored, forget and nothing bad will happen.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, not sure if this helps you but since I own quite a bit of iPAQ gear I didn't even unpack the GO's chrgers, both mains and car charger. I simply continued to use my iPAQ chargers. They also provide 5V at 2A, and they are proven to work, since years ;-) The plug is exactly the same, too.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jwpestell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: 2 out of 3 went pop Reply with quote

I bought a TomTom GO from Amazon, which arrived on Monday 4th October, along with 2 extra sets which I hadn't ordered! Whilst I planned to send the two surplus units back to Amazon, it was just as well they'd sent extra, because the first two units I tried went pop and failed to respond after being connected to the car charger on the cradle. :o

I've sent the others back to Amazon, and I'm not going to connect the third (and still working) unit to the car charger until I understand a bit more about why this is happening. I'm very happy with the batter performance anyway, and the unit is meeting expectations in all other ways.

All three units I received had a car adapter that looks exactly the same. Maybe the earlier posts are correct in that there is a dodgy batch of adapters going around. It will be interesting to see if TomTom respond to the increasing numbers of dead units being sent back and offer replacement adapters. Question
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here. Another new one gone phut!

This looks like a major problem for TomTom Embarassed
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine still seems OK. The only "unique" mark on it is the QC Pass No, which is 2 or Z in my case. None of the other numbers look like a serial or batch number, so it's going to be difficult to tell if it's a general design fault or just a bad batch.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's the GO you need to look into, it feels more like the car charger is the culprit. Any numbers on that one?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
I don't think it's the GO you need to look into, it feels more like the car charger is the culprit. Any numbers on that one?

The "QC Pass No" is an oval paper sticker on the car charger, mine is also 2, hand-written.
5ifthmedia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Mounting TTGO Reply with quote

I have found that simply pressing the eject/release button and then letting go as I click the TTGO into the mount avoids that awful "crack" sound when it finds the back of the mount. I reckon that will extend it's life a bit longer too and stop it having to be pressed down hard.
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
...It's not clear if it's the charger cables or the units themselves that are faulty, it could be a faulty charging circuit in GO itself, so using another kind of cable isn't going to help.

Now, here's a strange one! Look's like the possibility expressed earlier by Dave that it might be the TTG frying the 12v charger could be right, if overload protection in a mains PSU was activated! ...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: