Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fortuna clip-on first charge - battery conditioning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortuna clip-on first charge - battery conditioning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seg1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Fortuna clip-on first charge - battery conditioning Reply with quote

Hi all,

I thought I had seen a reference to this but my forum search did not find anything - so here goes:

I just received my clip-on, and it is now charging.
Is there a "best practice" for the first charge? Do you charge it up, run it down and charge it up again?

Thanks for your advise,

seg
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seg,

Depending on how much charge it retained from the factory it may take between 1½ to 3 hours to charge. At which point it should be ready to give you good service. As a precaution, I keep a genuine Nokia cigar plug charger in my vehicle and that can be used to charge the Clip-On.

I use the Clip-On most days but I don’t charge it every day. Once I’ve estimated that I’ve used 3 or 4 hours of battery life I will place it on charge until it’s full.

I don’t think that it hurts to occasionally let the Clip-On to fully discharge (by leaving it switched on) however it will take around 3 hours to fully charge up again. I don’t leave the Clip-On on charge over night, as I don’t trust the system to stop charging when full.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
seg1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Robert.

Two questions:

Does it matter if while you use it in the car it's plugged into the car charger? Is it good practice? Bad? Doesn't matter?

I seem to have the impression that I read somewhere that if the battery runs out completely, the GPS will (might??) lose some settings, or BT bonding, or... - cannot remember the details. Is there any truth in this?

Thanks,
seg
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seg,

In an “emergency” (i.e. when the battery ran out) I have charged the Clip-On in the car whilst it’s been switched on and in use. It’s not something that I do regularly. My very first Clip-On died within a week of receiving it, due to poor battery life. Therefore I don’t like to do anything that might cause my current ones to do that same.

No, if the battery runs out (or if you take out the battery) then you should not loose the BT connection, nor should the Clip-On loose its memory of its last know position. However, if you keep it in a state like that for months then you probably will need to refresh its memory for its location.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
bournea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There
You have probably found this out by now but when the battery is fully charged the battery indicator light should change from red to green.

I personally would have thought they would have designed in a system to maintain the charge on the battery correctly if the charger is left connected, i.e. whilst on a long journey in a car and so it should be OK, however, Privateer may have found the flaw in the design.

This weekend I am about to spend alot of time in the car and aim to leave the clip-on permanently connected to the car charger.

I will report back in the future if this seems to damage the unit and/or its battery.

Cheers
Adrian
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian,

As I said above, my very first Clip-On died within a week of receiving it, due to poor battery life. There was a batch of Clip-Ons that suffered from poor battery life. At that time I was only using the mains charger and not the car charger. Nowadays I will also use a Nokia car charger if the Clip-On needs a charge.

bournea wrote:
I personally would have thought they would have designed in a system to maintain the charge on the battery correctly if the charger is left connected, i.e. whilst on a long journey in a car and so it should be OK, however, Privateer may have found the flaw in the design.

I agree with what you’re saying. However I’m not sure that the Clip-On unit has a charge regulator. I know that if I put my Nokia mobile phone on charge (either mains or car) then it displays that it’s charging until it’s full. If you then disconnect and reconnect the phone from the power supply it still displays that it’s full. The Clip-On, on the other hand even when the light glows green to display that it’s full, will start charging again (light glows red) when you disconnect and reconnect it from the power supply.

I am not an electrical engineer, but going on the above, I personally would choose not to run the Clip-On on power all of the time. I may well be worrying unnecessary here (due to the failure of my first Clip-On). So if there is anybody here with a sound electrical background that can jump in and advise, then please feel free to do so.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Privateer is right. I'm always wary of running battery operated things whilst plugged into the power due to the memory effects of batteries that we've all seen in Laptops, old mobiles etc. I know that Li-ion batteries are supposed NOT to suffer from this hysteresis, but I would always give it a big charge first, then use it on battery power and discharge it completely before charging (when it wasn't crucial that it worked of course ;)).

For example, I just bought a ClipOn last week and left it plugged in for about eight hours before first using it. Then I used it on battery power alone for about four hours worth of driving and a bit of wandering about (over several days) before pratting about with it on my desk at work until it died (which took another four or so hours), so it looks like you really might get the 8.5 hours they claim, which is great. Having wrecked mobile batteries by not "conditioning" them in the past, this is the approach I always adopt. Maybe it's over-cautious, but it works.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: