Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT and Android Marshmallow
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT and Android Marshmallow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: TT and Android Marshmallow Reply with quote

As a dyed-in-the-wool enthusiast for the original TT Android app, I've been hanging on to the app through changes of phone and upgrades of OS. But now my Moto G 3rd generation is offering me the chance to upgrade from Lollipop to Marshmallow. I know TT have stated that they no longer support the old app and won't upgrade it, but I would love to know if anyone has tried running it with the new OS. Does it still work or does it not?
Being an old dog uneasy in the face of new tricks, I would be EXTREMELY loath to lose my old one and have to learn the new GO Mobile app
Anyone any experience to share?
Thanks
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know anyone with Marshmallow on their phone? Could you create a backup apk file to try on their phone (and remove once done)?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are fighting against the inevitable, even if you manage to stave off this upgrade to Marshmallow and switch off automatic updates, (to the detriment of every other app on your phone) your next phone will come with Mm and a high probability that TT will, over time, simply stop working. My advice would be to bite the bullet and upgrade to TT Go, it works a heck of a lot better than the original TomTom app ever did
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hang on for a couple of days, I have just started the Marshmallow upgrade on my Moto G 2nd generation, although I deleted my TomTom in favour of Sygic which I find better and more functional and can easily reload tomtom 1.4 and let you know, unless somebody comes up with answer before.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100,
Yes you are correct about fighting off the inevitable, but then again it you are happy and used to what you have you might as well use it as long as you can, the upgrade does ask you if your in before downloading so its probably worth waiting a day or so.
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aj2052"]If you want to hang on for a couple of days, I have just started the Marshmallow upgrade on my Moto G 2nd generation, although I deleted my TomTom in favour of Sygic which I find better and more functional and can easily reload tomtom 1.4 and let you know, unless somebody comes up with answer before.[/quote]
It would be extraordinarily kind if you could make the experiment and I can surely wait for the results. I am beginning to appreciate what an uphill job Canute had of it!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately unable to reload TomTom after upgrade, could be due to bad backup or anything, All my existing apps including Sygic work fine,
The upgrade took about 1/2hr download then about 1/2hr install, and then same again to configure apps so this may be the problem,
It may also be due to being 2am this morning so will try again later. personally I would do the upgrade, as previously said its just delaying the inevitable and being a past hardline user myself I was reluctant to change but tomtom reducing functions over the years I then realised that their was better products on the market than Android Tomtom 1.4.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After update to Marshmallow I haven't seen any benefits, only losses,
I used a 64gb memory stick which slides between std usb and micro usb so could easily transfer files and then directly to phones usb but now phone file managers cant read external memory stick, only way is cable from pc, next it seems that you cant move programs from internal memory to external memory, so personally regret upgrading, plus their is no return to lollypop.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this affect my internally fitted microSD in my galaxyS5 do you reckon?
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! thanks a lot (really) to you, aj2052, and thanks a lot Android. Looks like I will keep that which works until I have to change phones when I really won't have a chance.
I have tried out TT GO Mobile but I feel I'd be losing much more than I'd gain. The need to have mobile data on all the time to make the most of its traffic and speed camera abilities (such as they are) is problematic because I spend quite a lot of my motoring time abroad where the cost is prohibitive. In addition I have several classes of POIs that I've gradually built up over the years, Romanesque churches for example, that I want to see over the whole map so I can plan a journey round them. As far as I can tell, even if you can import 3rd party POIs, they remain invisible except where you specify. It looks as if you can ask for a type of POI to be made visible over the whole map, but it simply does not happen.
So my disaffection vis-à-vis the new TT app is not simply bloody-minded dislike of change (though I'm sure that plays its insidious part) but is based on a real lack of function that I like.
Still and all I do prefer TT routing algorithm to anyone else's.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
... and switch off automatic updates, (to the detriment of every other app on your phone)

On Android you can set automatic updates on a per-app basis
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even more importantly, you can turn it off on a per app basis. Very Happy
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Will this affect my internally fitted microSD in my galaxyS5 do you reckon?

No, it has no effect on the internal micro card, only the External Charging/USB port which I use for transferring files from a directly plugged in memory card, previously on Lollypop the Android file manager would read this stick after upgrading to marshmallow a file manager no longer reads this port.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the concise explanation aj.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT,
Forgot to mention that in Marshmallow you can not transfer apps from internal memory to the fitted micro SD card, the change is that now you have the option of using the micro card to extend the internal memory which involves the system wiping the card and formatting in a non propriety format thus not able to access, the alternative is leaving it as is thus only using the micro Card for external photos etc and no programs. seems like a backward move to me

Last edited by aj2052 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: