Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ignore direction only for mobile cameras?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ignore direction only for mobile cameras?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAA_0229003137
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Ignore direction only for mobile cameras? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have just started using CamerAlert and in general it's a really useful application, but does anyone use the "Ignore direction" setting?

I think taking the direction into account is fantastic for fixed cameras like GATSOs, but I don't trust it for mobile cameras. Surely mobile cameras could use either direction, but often they are just listed in one direction.

So I was wondering if there was a way to ignore direction only for mobile cameras, so I always get alerts for those?

Cheers
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do not use the "Ignore direction data" setting, I have it switched off, i.e. my CamerAlert is set to use directional data and thus ignore cameras pointing in the opposite direction.

I understand your (healthy) distrust of mobile cameras and the fact that they can use either direction.

As a verifier, I take each site as an individual case and I appreciate as much information as possible. At each site I try to think like a camera operator (van, handheld) and some of the questions I ask myself as to whether a site is a viable one, are:

1. Can I safely (with no danger to myself or my equipment) operate here?
2. Can I be sneaky and catch speeders before they see me and slow down?
3. Can I catch a lot of people?
4. Can I catch people going in either direction?

Yes, I know that some actual sites don't adhere to the above points as some are in a dangerous place. However you'll see most mobile sites seem to be chosen using the same points that I use.

As a verifier, if you give me a good description of the site, I can visit that site and using your information see if you've got the location, speed limit, heading, camera type, etc correct and if not I'll still ACCEPT the submission but ask MaFt to make the necessary directions - which include making a mobile site REVERSIBLE.

I always assume that a mobile site is reversible (i.e. can catch in either direction) but until I visit a site I can't make that call. There are some sites that can only be one way due to road design, dual carriageway etc.

This is the reason why we think that the PocketGPSWorld camera database is the best - MaFt filters out obviously wrong submissions but the rest are all verified.

If you are aware of any mobile site that is a single direction but you think should be reversible then please use the speed camera submission form to let MaFt know - please add comments to explain your request.

Hope this helps. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
CAA_0229003137
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that certainly helps a lot and it's great to know that you put so much thought into verifying the cameras.

Can anyone verify the existence of these mobile cameras or just people that have "verifier" status like yourself? (i.e. when I press the tick/cross on an unverified camera on the app does it actually count towards getting that verified?) As I don't know if there are many or any verifiers in my area, but the camera in question was already verified by someone.

I will do! Can I do that via the app by either editing the camera in question or submitting a new one at the same location?

Thank you,
Sean
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need confirmation from MaFt, but I think that multiple separate submissions will 'self verify' a camera position.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separate submissions being, presumably, from different people.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that to be true. Multiple submissions from the same person could be used just to 'put a camera' where there isn't on for whatever reason.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CAA_0229003137,

As M8TJT has already mentioned, multiple submissions (from different people) will help to verify a site.

If you want to be a verifier then you need to have a history of submitting accurate sites. You'd need to contact MaFt about verifying.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: