Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcam Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcam Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Had to go to Humberside Airport today, satnav took me down M1 to M18 and across, again when left M1 for M18 the 50mph overspeed warning kept sounding.

When checking the notifications, it was showing as driving 68mph in a 50mph average speed zone, when I was infact driving on the M18 in a 70mph area.

When switched to the app, it stopped reporting I was doing 68mph in a 50mph and said it was not monitoring any cameras

Not sure if this is a bug within the app, or compatibility with the Nexus 6 and Marshmallow, but I run the app in the background and also speed warnings, sometimes will say the warning, other times it will just show with no audio warning.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi walkerx,

Do you travel on any other roads (apart from the M1) that have SPECS zones? If you do, do you have the same issues?

You say that you're running CamerAlert in the background. What other apps are you running at the same time? What app is in the foreground?

It's a long since I had an Android phone (an early HTC) it used to have memory leaks and needed to be rebooted on a regular basis. I'm not say that that's the problem with your set up but have you tried rebooting your phone and running minimum number of apps such as just CamerAlert or CamerAlert plus your SatNav app?

Talking of SatNav apps, are you running one on your phone at the same time as CamerAlert? If so, have you tried running a different SatNav app?

Although I run an iPhone, I also run CamerAlert and TomTom (either UK & Ireland or Europe). When I'm in a SPECS zone I generally bring CamerAlert to the foreground to ensure that if I get too close to the average speed limit I can reduce speed a little to compensate. Also as a verifier I like to see that the cameras are in the correct location. Wink Have you tried bringing CamerAlert to the foreground in a SPECS zone before you notice any problems?

The above suggestions are for you to try and report back to help people to determine any pattern to the problems and therefore where the problem lies and fix it if it is a CamerAlert issue.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never had any trouble with the cameras between M1 J42 and J39, or between J36-J34 (Sheffield) and I never previously had issue coming of at J31.

I'm running the TomTom app in foreground (for traffic alerts).

Device is powered through out journey.

Nothing else running, I would use Sygic but their traffic doesn't work and it is unreliable.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

I can only suggest that next time you're due to go via the M1 J31 area, reboot your phone prior to the journey, have no other app running apart from TomTom in the background for traffic and navigation and have CamerAlert running in the foreground for visual as well as audio warning of SPECS and current average speed.

Today, looking at the speed camera database

Before M1 J32 (south bound)
SPECS:176342@50 (Temp), Heading:98 (Single Direction) which should be a MIDDLE but not listed as as anything

After M1 J32 (south bound) and just after M1/M18 interchange
SPECS:177983@50 (Temp), Heading:186 (Single Direction), (End Camera)

I've done a submission for SPECS:176342@50 to be listed as a MIDDLE SPECS camera.

Can we see what happens when you next drive that route?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, my next main trip that way is weekend
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt has made the changes to SPECS:176342@50 so that it is now listed as a Middle Camera, this change was done for the 14.031 version of the PGPSW camera database that was released on 2 March 2016.

Please update your CamerAlert app so that it has the latest version of the database.

Whilst you're driving through that area please have CamerAlert in the foreground and check that CamerAlert shows the SPECS correctly (i.e. location, speed, type, direction, etc).

Please report back your findings.

Many thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done the test last night

Rebooted phone
TomTom GO running in background for directions
CamerAlert foreground (no map just displaying the cameras)
CamerAlert running the latest official update

When in the average speed zone it displayed upcoming cameras and reported on them, but when left the M1 @ J32 for M18 and out of the reduced speed zone, it was displaying no cameras (which is correct), but kept reporting I was now speeding (68mph in 50mph) when doing 68mph in 70mph stretch of motorway.

The way I got it to stop alerting incorrectly for this was to press the camera button as to report a camera and then the back button.

Also noticed that during the trip it reported I should update, now I have noticed there is an intermediate update nearly every day, but once a week it will always advise you to update of which I do, so not sure of why it was telling me to 'Update' half-way through a journey as you only usually get this message when you first start the app.

I know my next big trip going south in not until June, but if I go down before then I will perform some more tests.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tap the speed readout, that will also cancel the average speed calculation (and start another if you want)
There is currently no end camera when leaving the M1 eastbound onto the M18 northbound. There is an 'unverified' one though.
If you look at the map, you can see which are the end, mid and start cams. You can do this yourself and then report it like I have just done.

@ MaFt. C'mon MaFt, buck up.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about pSPECS:179496@50, which is an east bound End camera? If we are, and once it's been verified, then it should make CamerAlert cancel the average speed display and over speed warning.

walkerx, I don't suppose you have any dashcam footage that you can send to MaFt of that SPECS to show that it exists and thus can be verified?

It's strange that CamerAlert should tell you to update halfway through a journey. It should only warn you that the database is out of date when you start it after the database has a new version loaded (generally some time on a Wednesday).

Whilst the database is only updated (normally) once a week, CamerAlert can have more regular update - so it's worth checking before a long journey.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPECS:176342 should be the last camera before you head onto M18 eastbound

i don't have a dashcam yet, it's one of my next purchases

Yeh, I thought it was strange when it told me to update as I've only ever heard it say that database is out of date, please update when you start the app if out of date - also i usually check during the week and update if the update is already there.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it crashed and re-started.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I wonder if it crashed and re-started.

must have been super quick Smile as never went off the screen

i'm just wondering if it's more a marshmallow issue, as various apps have problems with mm
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi walkerx,

A few questions:

1. Can you see SPECS:176342@50 on the map? It should be a yellow and black SPECS icon with 50.

2. Can you see pSPECS:179496@50 on the map? It should be a light blue square with central lines through the horizontal and vertical.

I'm going to guess that you can see the first (SPECS:176342@50) but that you can't see the second (pSPECS:179496@50) - with the second one you just see the pointer on the long slip-road connecting the M1 to the M18.

Next question:

3. Are the above cameras (and positions) correct? I.e. is that the area that you're having problems with the average speed not switching off?

4. Does a SPECS camera physically exist anywhere on the long slip-road connecting the M1 to the M18? If it does, is it postioned where pSPECS:179496@50 is on the map?

5. Does anybody else who has an iOS or Android device with CamerAlert installed on it travel with you? Or do you have any other GPS enabled devices that can load CamerAlert on that you can use on that journey?

What I think is happening is that CamerAlert is working correctly, it warns you about SPECS:176342@50 however it doesn't know about the unverified pSPECS:179496@50 so CamerAlert doesn't alert you to that camera and therefore doesn't switch off the average speed warning.

It may be a marshmallow problem but as I'm using an iPhone I can't help with that.

I don't normally travel around that area and it's about 150 miles away from me so I can't unfortunately visit it.

However please let us know the answers to those questions. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only see 176342 and there was no camera on the long slip road.

I will see if can get back down that way within next week or so to get better info.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
I can only see 176342 and there was no camera on the long slip road.

Excellent! Thumbs Up It sounds that once you leave the M1 there are no more SPECS on either the slip road or the M18.

It looks like we may need to add a dummy marker on the long slip road to indicate to CamerAlert that it can turn off the average speed calculation/warning. However we need to determine where that marker should be placed - ideally where the "end of roadworks" and the "national speed limit" signs are.

I've looked at the details of pSPECS:179496@50, it was submitted via the CamerAlert app with no comments.

Could I ask that you look at the location of pSPECS:179496@50 one more time on the map? You say that there is no physical camera on that slip road but do you think that that is the location of the "end of roadworks" and "national speed limit" signs?

walkerx wrote:
I will see if can get back down that way within next week or so to get better info.

I'm hoping that we can have things working for your next journey in that area.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: