Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC 03 Super HD Rear View Mirror DashCam
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC 03 Super HD Rear View Mirror DashCam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
How does it attach to your existing mirror?

Rubber straps.
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Rear cam Reply with quote

I agree on the possibility of being illegal but also think a rear cam should be mounted AT the rear window. maybe on the ledge or window itsels as they do with front mounted cams.
I'd like to see all four areas covered. After all people do get hit from the side as well.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear cam Reply with quote

taits wrote:
I agree on the possibility of being illegal

No! It isn't illegal!

1. The mirror replaces your existing mirror, so why would it be illegal?
2. In any case, as long as you have two working door mirrors, you don't need an interior rear view mirror, unless I'm much mistaken.
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Mr Gumby Reply with quote

I see the pic displayed in the middle of the mirror where most of the 'traffic' is behind you, I would think is the place one would be concerned about. Not in lanes to the sides.
If the display was below, to either side or above the mirroe might be better unless you get destracted easily.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr Gumby Reply with quote

taits wrote:
I see the pic displayed in the middle of the mirror where most of the 'traffic' is behind you, I would think is the place one would be concerned about.

Try reading the rest of this thread before commenting. Then we wouldn't be wasting time on this dialogue. The picture you refer to is not shown when the vehicle is in motion - you get a full-width mirror.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: RAC 03 Super HD Rear View Mirror DashCam Reply with quote

Good morning everyone,

I apologise for the slight lapse in timely contribution to the thread.

By 'world first' we are referencing the built-in GPS not the rear view mirror as a concept. The camera fixes over your mirror by applying two straps left and right. The current price of the camera is £159.99 before the discount is applied. Note this remains the only discount available aside from any retailer promotions, which are at their discretion.

I am always happy to answer any questions you have here or via my email - natasha@proofcam.com.

Wishing you a fantastic day ahead.

Natasha
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr Gumby Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:
taits wrote:
I see the pic displayed in the middle of the mirror where most of the 'traffic' is behind you, I would think is the place one would be concerned about.

PS Didn't mean my reply to sound as brusque as it did, now I read it again. Sorry!
smartroad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the point of this. It covers a perfectly functional rear view mirror (unless you have a damaged one) and it prevents you from using the mechanical dip feature - so increases the amount of dazzle at night from cars behind you. All so you can see the video it is taking?

I have a smallish camera that I have tucked behind my review mirror on the passenger side. Sitting in the drivers seat you can't see most of it, just the extreme edge and a small LED letting you know it is on and recording. The screen is hidden away. I have never had to use the screen other than to set up the unit. If I want to view footage I remove the memory card and use either my phone or computer. Both have better screens to watch on.

It was also a third of the price of this one. And the auto dipping feature of my rear view mirror still works (I paid extra so would begrudge the loss of it).

Am I missing something fundamental here? Unless your rearview is broken I just don't see the point of this when there are plenty of other, cheaper, alternatives.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smartroad wrote:
I don't get the point of this.

The key differentiator seems to be inclusion of the PGPSW speed camera database. I suppose it does also give you a wider mirror and avoids the need to stick anything to your windscreen.

In my old car, I ran TomTom on my iPhone, complete with PGPSW cameras. My new car has built-in satnav and I run cameralert on my phone. I also have a camera stuck to my windscreen.

With this device, I wouldn't need to put my phone where I could see it or even have it with me. If I didn't already have a dashcam, I might be interested in this one.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: No IOS Reply with quote

TieJustice wrote:

Only problem I have is in every RTA that has happened to me( driving instructor) it's always a rear shunt so forward faceing only has been a wast of time, and I always have rear and forward cameras, and the insurance company's have loved them

I agree, but what a faff and expense getting all that fitted. It's about time car manufacturers built them in - or at least as an optional extra. Side cameras as well - I was reversed into my side as I was crawling along an industrial estate .... looking for a garage!

Maybe a 360 degree roof mounted version?

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a Google Street View car. Very Happy
Oh no, that's no good, it only takes stills. Sad
Vortex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RAC 03 Super HD Rear View Mirror DashCam Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:
By 'world first' we are referencing the built-in GPS not the rear view mirror as a concept. The camera fixes over your mirror by applying two straps left and right.

Natasha,

Do you mean the built-in PGPSW database (because many dashcams on the market have had built-in GPS for some time)?

Also, as has already been mentioned, surely not being able to dip your mirror is a major limitation to mounting it in this way?
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not interested in having the device as a rear view mirror as I have a self dimming unit on my car which doesn't tilt and wouldn't want a rear view mirror covering it which blinded me at night. I'd fit it as a stand alone unit for the sake of the camera and the Speed Camera warning which cannot be added to my built-in CD-ROM based sat nav. However, the thing doesn't seem to have any system for fixing it to the window or sun visor and even if it did, it might well blind me with its unwanted rear view mirror. Looks like I'll either await some other device to hit the market or put something together as a built in unit. Meanwhile an old TomTom in the storage compartment can bleep at me when I'm approaching any cameras.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield wrote:
I'm not interested in having the device as a rear view mirror as I have a self dimming unit on my car which doesn't tilt and wouldn't want a rear view mirror covering it which blinded me at night. I'd fit it as a stand alone unit for the sake of the camera and the Speed Camera warning which cannot be added to my built-in CD-ROM based sat nav. However, the thing doesn't seem to have any system for fixing it to the window or sun visor and even if it did, it might well blind me with its unwanted rear view mirror. Looks like I'll either await some other device to hit the market or put something together as a built in unit. Meanwhile an old TomTom in the storage compartment can bleep at me when I'm approaching any cameras.

Run cameralert on your phone? That's what I do, alongside my car's built-in satnav.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do you run it as a dashcam? After all, this is what this thread is about.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: