Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No verbal warning for Specs cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No verbal warning for Specs cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis. Im much more confident now. Apart from that error everything was remarkably simple.

Yes you are right I did have to set my home details. again but I did not update the maps only the TT. This added a new opening screen after the splash screen, showing just 2 icons Home and Other destination. Home was grayed out but I just went to"change home address" and input the details.

I started using PGPS in July 2014. It never appeared to miss a camera and i was so pleased with it I didnt want to rock the boat so did not bother to update but still kept my subscription running.

Last new maps was also in 2014. I was really pleased with this map update as it was like having a new tomtom with better screen and lane guidance plus re-routing easier and faster, instead of continually trying to get you back onto the motorway etc.

Im thinking of updating the maps again but concerned about what you said regarding the Cfg. files. Also at £40 for the update &%$*??? What do you think?

Also the TT is still on the original battery. Even when new it did not hold charge for more than a few minutes so i have always used the car charger. Being so old it may get to a stage where it will not charge at all, although ok at the moment. I have seen some horror stuff on you tube where the TT did not work at all following a battery change.
I think it depends how gently the battery can be extracted from the back plate as this is where the communication cables are.

I have recently borrowed friend's TT and Garmin sat navs but found that for me they were nowhere near as good as the 520Go. On Ebay the TT 520GO still sells for quite a lot of money indicating its continued popularity. In any case I would not buy any sat nav that fails to support PGPS Cameras.

I have learned a lot from this so i will update the cameras more frequently.

I really appreciate your time and efforts. Thank you.

I will be downloading the cameras tonight so will let you know how I get on.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea to update more often. For example, the cameras are updated with fresh details EVERY week, on Wednesday and they are more important than the maps.

But a map update is a worthwhile thing too. TT offer Annual Map Update Service which is a year's supply of new maps (every three months) for about £40 and good value if maps are your thing - it's worth it anyway because a new single map is not much cheaper.

To avoid the loss of your various settings, BEFORE doing any map updates, take a copy of your MapSettings.cfg file, then after installing the new map, copy that file in again (replace).

That will mean that after you've done your initial setup of the camera warnings, followed by copying the MapSettings.cfg file, next time you download the latest cameras, you only need to download the cameras, not the voice warnings and the warnings will be picked up from the MapSettings.cfg file automatically.

The latest map right now is version 960. To check yours, tap the bottom right corner of the 520, it'll then show at the bottom right Version (which is the version of the operating software on your 520 - it should be showing 9.510). Tap that version entry and it will show another screen with lotsa information, including your map version. I'd guess it may show yours as about 930, which is quite out of date (the number increases by 5 every new map).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right: regular camera updates and maps it is then. Only reservation is paying £40 for maps only to have the battery die but I guess thats a risk i have to take.

Map version V955.6 Ram only 11.7MB free. ???

Will copy the cfg. file as requested.

Thanks. M
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use mine on battery, just wouldn't last my day's driving.

Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could obtain the latest maps free from XXXXX and other similar sites if you are adept at installing.

Not that I would ever condone using sites where TT and other companies maps are free, thus denying them of revenue......
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis . Big problems. no problems with the procedure but would not extract due to lack of space. Speed Zoned complete. Tried downloading and extracting Consolidated by type. These were the ones previously on my TT. No joy. The extraction begins ok but after downloading about 3 files it goes to error. Scanned the disk which states no space available. Also the TT froze a couple of times.

Could try using restore on TT Home or I could try adding them to the root back up from yesterday. or anything else you could suggest.

Dont think anything will work unless there is a way to make more space. It just seems odd that the previous cameras worked fine prior to the errors I made when updating them.

Looks like buying TT 135 as I understand that supports Pgps. I have got a IGo8 device which is brilliant. I have just updated the maps on it and trevor helped me put the cameras on it a couple of years ago, but it does not accept OGG files. Its the P Navi cheap chinese sat nav.
anyway We can see how we get on tomorrow, Oh another option is camera Alert on my 7" tablet. Almost 2.00am now so going to bed. very tired.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, something is wrong here.

To test, I have just downloaded the cameras to my GO520, had absolutely no trouble doing so. I wonder if you are doing stuff trying to use TomTom Home 2 instead of Windows Explorer?

I did this on my old laptop with Windowes 7 (UGH, what a pain!). I have to go out right now so let's resume when you are readyb to start all over again.

maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dennis but I feel awful at taking up so much of your time. Please feel free to opt out at anytime.

I used Linux because it so simple. not very familiar with Windows because apart from odd bits like TomTom 2 its over 5 years since I used it.

Ok here is what happened, proving the point that i am a right impulsive binhead.

input OV2 : Speed zoned complete : Female with no prefix : downloaded

saved then opened zip file which brings up the cameras with the option to extract : docked the TT : Clicked the TT disk : then choose the folder UK & ROI : Clicked extract.
Extracted fine. cameras appearing in the folder ok.

Now for the binhead bit. removed TT from PC and began to set it up using "manage poi's"
& Warn when near poi. Didnt really understand the procedure, especially "the type in your own warning" Stopped to think about it and then realised there were not enough files and no oggs files in the download. shut down TT re-docked it and choose yes to connect to PC.
Opened UK folder and checked the cameras displayed. No OGG files only OV2 & BMP, and only 5 cameras.

Although I had been very careful in ensuring I had in put the correct details for the download, I had to assume I had got it wrong so I deleted the cameras and started again.
That when all the problems started. Re-input the details for my chosen cameras, dowloaded, opened, all there including Ogg files, just as in your photo, failed to extract.

Also I was aware that Robert had been concerned about space, hence his suggestion of using camera Alert. I was also worried as when I opened the TT details as you suggested in a previous post it stated only 11.7MB free space so I immediately jumped to the conclusion that the TT was out of space and confirmed by scanning the disk.

Please please feel to stop at any time. Its not a problem. My old TT owes me nothing having had 12 + years of good service. I have lots of options. Use IG08, buy new TT
use camera Alert. Thanks
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Quinny Reply with quote

Hi Quinny

Thanks for that interesting info. Of course it would not be ethical to use maps other than TT official £40 ones.

However I will visit the website, just out of curiosity you understand. Confused
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Quinny Reply with quote

maggie25 wrote:
Hi Quinny

Thanks for that interesting info. Of course it would not be ethical to use maps other than TT official £40 ones.

However I will visit the website, just out of curiosity you understand. Confused

Of course.... Laughing Laughing

Once you navigate your way through the ads on the downloads, it is fairly straightforward, and if you get it wrong there are plenty of tutorials.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Quinny Reply with quote

Quinny1 wrote:
maggie25 wrote:
Hi Quinny

Of course.... Laughing Laughing

Once you navigate your way through the ads on the downloads, it is fairly straightforward, and if you get it wrong there are plenty of tutorials.
Would I be correct in assuming we're talking about pirated maps? This website is totally opposed to them, so the link is going, going, gone.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you won't mind if I join in.

maggie25 wrote:
... removed TT from PC and began to set it up using "manage poi's" & Warn when near poi. Didnt really understand the procedure, especially "the type in your own warning".
With every Text To Speech (TTS), device there are 4 options for the type of warning you want.

1.Full spoken warning. This reads the name of the POI category, and how far ahead it is.
2. Brief spoken warning. Similar to 1, but shorter!
3. Sound effect. If there is an associated OGG file in the Folder, this is the option needed to use it. If there is no OGG file, the system looks in the Sounds Folder.
4. Type in your own warning. This allows you to type anything that you want the warning to be, and the TTS read it out.

maggie25 wrote:
That when all the problems started. Re-input the details for my chosen cameras, dowloaded, opened, all there including Ogg files, just as in your photo, failed to extract.
You might find it easier to extract the files to a particular Folder on your PC. Then copy them to the device. You will have more control on what goes where.

maggie25 wrote:
... it stated only 11.7MB free space so I immediately jumped to the conclusion that the TT was out of space and confirmed by scanning the disk.
To paraphrase usage on a PC the 11.7MB of memory refers to the Flash RAM that is installed, the same as the RAM on a PC. It doesn't refer to the Storage, which can be looked at as the Hard Drive.

In Windows Explorer you can Right Click the Drive and choose Properties and you get a visual display of used/unused memory, whether it be the built-in memory or the SD Card. I believe Linux works in a similar manner.

It might be worth trying the Clear Flash Utility, as this has been known to cure several different problems. It needs to be run 3 times, and while it runs nothing appears to be happening (but it is).

I don't know if it might help if we had some idea of where you live. There might be someone close enough to be able give hands on help. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the rugby ends I'll come back and give you the word. But you really will have to do it with Windows 7. Yes, it's a pig, but I've got it on my rubbishy laptop and I'll take you right through it. I only had 8Gb on my 520, but the cameras don't need anywhere near that. I suspect you extracting them direct to the 520 was the problem and with Win 7 you don't need to extract them, they will show in Windows Explorer.

England are winning 25-9 at the moment with 10 minutes to go.

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH!
I've been keeping away from the news as I'm going to watch the highlights later on.
Thought a GPS/SpeedCam website would be the last place to see spoilers on the rugby. Shocked
DennisN wrote:
,,,,,??????? ?????????? 10 minutes to go.

@maggie25
If you would rather use Linux to install the cameras, I can walk you though it.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then Maggie, choose between Ali and Linux or Dennis and Windows 7, then one of us will back off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: