Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Average Speed Cameras Net £100,000 Per Month
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Average Speed Cameras Net £100,000 Per Month

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: New Average Speed Cameras Net £100,000 Per Month Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android (phones and tablets)
Get Speed Camera Warnings On An RAC DashCam

New average speed cameras are pulling in nearly £100,000 per month on one of London's busiest roads.

A Freedom of Information request by the Evening Standard revealed that the cameras, on west London's A40, netted almost 1000 motorists during their first month of operation.

Some drivers were recorded at speeds up to 90mph in 40mph and 50mph zones.

Thirty two point-to-point cameras, covering an 11 mile stretch of the A40, were activated in October last year, replacing the seven previous fixed cameras.

Despite the average speed camera warning signs dotted along the road, London Assembly member Murad Qureshi commented: "It's not obvious the change has been made at all. I've no problem about getting drivers to kill their speed but this has been done behind their backs without telling them what is happening."

Transport for London (TfL) anticipate that 31 deaths or serious injuries will be prevented by the cameras over the next three years.

TfL say that more average speed cameras will be activated in London later this year, namely the A2, A316 and A406 North Circular Road.

Source
email icon

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Despite the average speed camera warning signs dotted along the road, London Assembly member Murad Qureshi commented: "It's not obvious the change has been made at all. I've no problem about getting drivers to kill their speed but this has been done behind their backs without telling them what is happening."
It seems likethe speed limit sign and the "average speed camera warning signs dotted along the road" aren't enough for this turkey. WTF else does he want? A personal letter to everyone in the UK explaining what has been done? Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the A40 section in question very well as it is only a few miles from me. It has long been a racetrack and I'm not surprised speeds of up to 90 have been detected.

It's a dangerous road with many side junctions and accidents are aplenty. The target and Greenford underpasses seems to feature frequently on local reports.

The speed limit signs are very clear so anyone caught deserves a fine.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. If the cameras are pulling in £100k a month, it doesn't look as though they are working as a deterrent to speeding.

From my few trips there, the signing is as good as anywhere else. No excuses.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Quote:
It seems likethe speed limit sign and the "average speed camera warning signs dotted along the road" aren't enough for this turkey. WTF else does he want? A personal letter to everyone in the UK explaining what has been done? Rolling Eyes
No, he just wants his five minutes of fame in the media!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drivers tend to look out for low down Gatso style. I'll bet, with their racing, their gaze isn't noticing the high up specs cameras.

One by one they will get the message

Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, my daily commute was from Croydon to Hillingdon, normally via Central London and the A40. I am surprised to learn that the speed limit has been reduced, in places, to just 40MPH.

In rush hours, it was not possible to drive fast due to the volume of traffic and the maximum drivable speed became self regulating to some respect.

I remember the A40 as a dual carriage way capable of faster speeds than 40MPH. Unless the average speed cams are switched off at off-peak times or road/traffic condition have changed drastically since my absence, I can quite easily believe that drivers are being caught exceeding the limits as it sounds like another case of the road speeds not reflecting road conditions.

Happy to be corrected, it's along time since I traveled along that road.

However, 90MPH is wholly unacceptable.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going East it's now 70 to 60 just after Hillingdon station and drops to 50 at the Polish then down to 40 by Hoovers. I'm not sure if it stays at 40 all the way to the Marylebone road. The speed signs are clear and are both sides of each carriageway.

I can understand 40 from Hoovers because through Acton it's almost like a suburban street with shops and houses very close.

I've been trying to get from Gypsy corner to Marylebone a few times to verify some Specs but its nose to tail with little movement almost all day now.

90 caught as an average may indicate doing over 100 in places ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detail Kremmen.
Sounds like I'm not missing too much fun then Very Happy
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 1,000 drivers? I would love to know (as would 000s of others) where they set the threshold, must be higher than 10% + 2. 40mph is a hard figure to maintain on a 3 lane dual carrageway around Acton and likewise 50mph by the P War Memorial.

Whilst the White City (Westway) limit is 40 mph, what gets me is the elevated section over Ladbroke Grove and Paddington seems a 'racing circut' at times with 60-70mph in the near pitch black!

But anyway, just 30 caught per average day is a tiny proportion. I don't think I need to worry when I was there 2 weeks ago then about any pending NOP. Shocked
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, 30 a day is very low.

During the day you can't speed going into town because now the cameras are known all 3 lanes are full of vehicles obeying the limits so there is no opportunity to speed.

Heading west though I've seen quite a few outside lane racers. Maybe there are dead zones due to the side streets.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: