Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Observations about the RAC05 now I’ve had it a few weeks.

Firmware

Chime at 70 mph that you cannot turn off.
This means 1145 unnecessary chimes on my last 3.5 hour trip to Bristol...

Viewer software.

Dashcam viewer 64 bit
The latest software supplied is Dashcam viewer v1.9.1, written by john Coggi @ earthshinesw.com

He is aware that that on some Windows computer hardware Dashcam Viewer does not play movies larger than 1920x1080p (you get a black screen). He suggests going into your dashcam settings and lowering the resolution!

The hi-res mov plays back OK on his ASUS laptop and he gave no indication this might ever be fixed.

Registrator Viewer
For me at least, it plays the 2560x1080 mov but shows the speed incorrectly. (159mph when doing 70)

I have emailed Vadim (the author) with no response...

I feel it’s a little frustrating that after highlighting these problems to the various vendors no fixes are forthcoming…

Pocketgps.

Compared to my freshly updated CameraAlert, the Speedcamera database appears to be out of date and is not being regularly updated. Because I also use CameraAlert I can easily spot the differences!

This could get PocketGPSWorld a bad reputation if we are unable to rely on the dashcam for speed camera warnings.

As far as I know, it’s only been updated once since I bought the camera 5 weeks ago (the original supplied was months out of date) so it’s still not good now…

I have requested the format of the camera data file from proofcam. I could then write a bit of code to generate it myself.

Maybe PocketGPSWorld could also request it? You might have more luck than me…

-o-

None of these things are show stoppers for me - the dashcam works as a dashcam and the hi-res mode is great – I think it’s a shame the camera has been released while the software is so immature.

I should thank Jessica at proofcam for sending me an updated speedcam file and also a new firmware which fixed the problems I had.

Ps/ It appears that there is now a 32 bit version of dashcam viewer here http://dashcamviewer.com/

Mike
Pedro123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: High street shops Reply with quote

eddiethebhoy wrote:
Hi I know that john Lewis stock the rac 02 but does anyone know where I can get the rac 05 in a high street shop for

I got my RAC05 from Tesco.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply to Mike Harris Reply with quote

Good morning Mike,

Please accept my apology for the lapse in communication and for not replying promptly.

I am (at the time of writing) working on a registration area in our Product Resources section on proofcam.com which will ensure the speed camera updates are delivered regularly and in a timely fashion.

I hope to have this finalised next week. I certainly agree that we do not want to jeopardize the reputation of PocketGPSWorld or our reputation. I hope our efforts to work as quickly on improvements is a sign we do take our business and customer feedback seriously.

Would you still like the format?

Best wishes,
Natasha
natasha@proofcam.com
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: General Information - RAC Dash Cam Reply with quote

Good afternoon, Natasha here.

A few general pieces of information.

Can I update that revised firmware for the RAC 05 is available which will upgrade -

1.Speed warning: Max. revise 70 to 100
2.Welcome and turn off screen revised
3.Add menu to turn off the sound for speed camera and turn on / off camera
4.Can turn off the speed warning sound
5.Use newest speed camera data

The RAC 05 is available in Tesco, noting that the only discount on the RAC 05 is for PocketGPSWorld members.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: General Information - RAC Dash Cam Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:
The RAC 05 is available in Tesco, noting that the only discount on the RAC 05 is for PocketGPSWorld members.

Hi Natasha. Is the discounted price still valid for us? I was reluctant to buy earlier due to the 70 max speed (I'm in Spain, but confused: here max speed is 120km/h, France 130km/h, Germany: the world is your lobster) but as you may have fixed this and appear to be very pro-active in upgrading your firm/soft ware based on user feedback, I'm keen to buy.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Pedro123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with this RAC05 DashCam.

Super HD video quality gives fantastic clarity on playback.

GPS lock is very quick.

Wide field of view. Mounted in front of driver and on right was A pillar, and on left was interior mirror.

Comes with an 8gb Micro SD card but I upgraded to 64gb before first use.

Easy to get Safety Camera Database working.

Saving a ‘significant event’ file is simple. It saves 10 seconds before and 20 seconds of activity after the button is pressed.

Easy to mount camera on support bracket. (Note it can only sensibly be mounted with the camera handing down from the mount.)

Dislikes
Battery life is claimed to be up to 20 minutes. In email exchange with supplier it turns out that the battery charges up, then runs down, so if you want to use it when parked you might get 20 minutes or you might get 5 seconds depending upon the charge state when you park up. You have no way of knowing which!

Battery seems to discharge if not used regularly. I left it 24 hours and it didn’t work until I gave it a desktop charge.

Safety Camera Database is sourced from pocketgpsworld.com, who update every Wednesday, but Proofcam (supplier behind RAC brand) are still using a file from Oct 2015.

Over Speed Alarm is configurable from 20 to 70 mph. Of course none of us go over 70 in UK so we will never get the warning chime for exceeding 70. If you do the screen will light up for 3 minutes. I may have had to use my sun visor at night!

Display on Metres to camera is tiny. A bit irrelevant as you know that one is imminent anyway.

Not tried
Forward Collision Warning or Lane Diversion Warning.

Other
Had to get a new USB cable from supplier but there was no quibble. Jessica in Customer Services is great.

Struggled to find a 32 bit version of software due to my old computer but I did. Files are also readable with other software although you miss some features e.g. GPS.

The motion sensor is so sensitive that every time I left the camera outside of the car and walked into the room the camera switched on. I ended up turning off this feature.

Tended to switch off the microphone recording. Discovered I comment too much on other drivers!

Could do with a case to protect it when not in the car.

Overall
When it works it is great but I’ve had a mixed few weeks experience.
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to Mike Harris Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:
Good morning Mike,
Would you still like the format?

Hi Natasha,

If you are referring to the format of the PocketGps data file then Yes Please!

Could you email me a copy of the new firmware? - I don't see it on the Proofcam site - can I download it from somewhere?

Thanks
Mike
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update - I have the latest firmware and it looks good!

There are still some differences with the speed cameras though, that's why I would like to make my own data file (a bit ocd , I suppose Rolling Eyes )

I'm well impressed with the response from the developers and also from Proofcam

Mike
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update to my review on page 7 of this thread - I have the new firmware also and it has some good improvements.

Firmware update returned my device to factory settings. Not a huge issue but something to be aware of.

* Startup is still extremely quick.
* Speed Warning: Now goes up to 100mph and also has an "off" option. Thanks for listening!
* Voice mode: Don't recall seeing that in the previous firmware. It seems that this controls the speed camera alert sounds.
I have mine set to "Speed warning off" but "voice mode on" and virtually all of my anomalous alerts and beeps have disappeared. FIXED!
I *really* like the 21:9 aspect ratio video option and that is my go-to setting.

* Bug: Inaccurate actual speed measurement reported in previous review. NOT FIXED. Still over-reads actual speed compared to other GPS devices and higher even than car speedometer. Given that this data is saved in the video file metadata, it has the potential to falsely incriminate the driver.
* Bug: inaccurate countdown distance to next speed camera reported in previous review: NOT FIXED
* Feature Request from previous review: 21:9 video mode at 720p - not present in this release.

Dashcam Viewer software: Over the past few months there has been great improvement in the desktop viewer software and also release of a Mac version. Thanks for listening to feedback and releasing this.

I also want to acknowledge progress on their website; desktop software downloads and the product registration page is now live. Speed camera updates had been sparse, with October being the last update for a long time. Am hoping to see this improve into the promised frequent updates with the new registration feature.

In summary: A welcome release and good progress to address feedback but some issues remain.

John.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnym100 wrote:
As an update to my review on page 7 of this thread - I have the new firmware also and it has some good improvements.

Firmware update returned my device to factory settings. Not a huge issue but something to be aware of.

* Speed Warning: Now goes up to 100mph and also has an "off" option. Thanks for listening!
* Voice mode: Don't recall seeing that in the previous firmware. It seems that this controls the speed camera alert sounds.
I have mine set to "Speed warning off" but "voice mode on" and virtually all of my anomalous alerts and beeps have disappeared. FIXED!
I *really* like the 21:9 aspect ratio video option and that is my go-to setting.

* Bug: Inaccurate actual speed measurement reported in previous review. NOT FIXED. Still over-reads actual speed compared to other GPS devices and higher even than car speedometer. Given that this data is saved in the video file metadata, it has the potential to falsely incriminate the driver.
* Bug: inaccurate countdown distance to next speed camera reported in previous review: NOT FIXED
* Feature Request from previous review: 21:9 video mode at 720p - not present in this release.

Dashcam Viewer software: Over the past few months there has been great improvement in the desktop viewer software and also release of a Mac version. Thanks for listening to feedback and releasing this.

I also want to acknowledge progress on their website; desktop software downloads and the product registration page is now live. Speed camera updates had been sparse, with October being the last update for a long time. Am hoping to see this improve into the promised frequent updates with the new registration feature.

In summary: A welcome release and good progress to address feedback but some issues remain.

John.

Good afternoon John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts with the forum and me.

The bugs you have identified as not being fixed have been re-raised.

With regard to the speed database, you can now download the 13/01/16 file or register on the product resources to receive it direct to your inbox. This update will be available bi-monthly. I am currently testing the functionality to ensure it works correctly.

Natasha
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: General Information - RAC Dash Cam Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
NatashaProofCam wrote:

Hi Natasha. Is the discounted price still valid for us? I was reluctant to buy earlier due to the 70 max speed (I'm in Spain, but confused: here max speed is 120km/h, France 130km/h, Germany: the world is your lobster) but as you may have fixed this and appear to be very pro-active in upgrading your firm/soft ware based on user feedback, I'm keen to buy.

Please accept my delay in replying. I am not sure why I missed your message. The discount is still available to you. I believe a special forum discount may also be communicated to forum/site users for the 03 shortly. These remain the only discounts direct from ProofCam available.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your update Natasha. However, I have just tried to buy a RAC 05 HD using the information given in the opening post on page one of this thread
Quote:
..... The RAC 05 is available to purchase at www.proofcam.co.uk with a 25% discount using the PocketGPSWorld.com code PGPS15. .........

OFFER ENDS 9TH NOVEMEBER 2015

Unfortunately the discount code no longer seems to be accepted.

A big thank you for everybody who has provided feedback on the DashCam, it's reassuring to know that ProofCam have listened to your comments.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: RAC 05 Discount Code Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Thank you for your update Natasha. However, I have just tried to buy a RAC 05 HD using the information given in the opening post on page one of this thread
Quote:
..... The RAC 05 is available to purchase at www.proofcam.co.uk with a 25% discount using the PocketGPSWorld.com code PGPS15. .........

OFFER ENDS 9TH NOVEMEBER 2015

Unfortunately the discount code no longer seems to be accepted.

A big thank you for everybody who has provided feedback on the DashCam, it's reassuring to know that ProofCam have listened to your comments.

Good morning to you,

I have created a new code - PGPS16 which runs until April 30th 2016 and can be used via www.proofcam.com. I apologise that this did not work when you tried it.

Natasha
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:
johnnym100 wrote:

John.

Good afternoon John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts with the forum and me.

The bugs you have identified as not being fixed have been re-raised.

With regard to the speed database, you can now download the 13/01/16 file or register on the product resources to receive it direct to your inbox. This update will be available bi-monthly. I am currently testing the functionality to ensure it works correctly.

Natasha

Hi Again John,

Re: * Bug: Inaccurate actual speed measurement reported in previous review. NOT FIXED. Still over-reads actual speed compared to other GPS devices and higher even than car speedometer. Given that this data is saved in the video file metadata, it has the potential to falsely incriminate the driver.

Are you able to tell me how much the speed is over on your camera please?

Natasha
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Natasha,

The over-read by the RAC 05 is speed dependent.

My comparator devices are a TomTom 940 and a Holux GPSport 245 cycle computer so are consumer grade devices and not professional GPS speedometers. However these two show the same speed or within 1mph of each other when at constant speed.

Comparing to the RAC 05 at steady speed:

At 10mph all three devices show the same or within 1mph and that's well within any margin of error for consumer grade refresh rate.

At 40mph (by Holux & TomTom) the RAC 05 shows 42mph

At 70mph (by Holux & Tomtom) the RAC 05 shows 73/74mph

So, over-read ~5%?

Numbers were repeatable and avoided roads with overhanging trees and tall buildings.

Got to say - very impressed with the level of engagement and willingness to listen.

John.

Last edited by johnnym100 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: