Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2015 CamerAlert Speed Camera Statistics
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2015 CamerAlert Speed Camera Statistics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: 2015 CamerAlert Speed Camera Statistics Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! It's time for a quick rundown of CamerAlert speed camera stats from last year, and boy have you lot been busy!

Comic courtesy of Cyanide and Happiness (Explosm.net).

Throughout 2015 there were a total of 3,560 confirmed new and modified cameras added to the database. These were submitted by 930 unique users resulting in 428 years worth of FREE subscriptions being handed out! Remember, many of our regular submitters already have Lifetime subscriptions from forever ago so these numbers aren't included in the 428.

The total number of speed camera submissions for 2015 amounted to a massive 38,938! Almost 90% of these were submitted using our CamerAlert app for iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android (phones and tablets). These were submitted by 3,412 unique users. There were also 6,256 'mobile seen again' reports submitted through our CamerAlert app.

Our CamerAlert speed camera database now has 36,031 active cameras in 62 countries - all available from a single subscription (we don't charge per region like some companies). If you want to include total numbers including unverified mobile cameras then that figure increases to 40,799 active cameras and unverified mobiles in 84 countries.

So, well done you lot! Let's keep the submissions coming and help keep CamerAlert as accurate and up to date as possible. All the best for 2016.
email icon
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The total number of speed camera submissions for 2015 amounted to a massive 38,938! These were submitted by 3,412 unique users.
That's 11.4 cameras each. And
Quote:
there were a total of 3,560 confirmed new and modified cameras added to the database. These were submitted by 930 unique users
That's 3.8 cams per person.

But with 38,938 submissions (nearly 750 a week) resulting in 3,560 confirmed new/changed cams, you can see the mammoth minor miracle that MaFt performs in coordinating all these submissions into 'new' camera locations so that PGPSW database users can have the best camera location source around.

Well done MaFt and well done you guys and gals.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
you can see the mammoth minor miracle that MaFt performs in coordinating all these submissions

Hear hear!
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interesting to see what area has had submitted the most.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
you can see the mammoth minor miracle that MaFt performs in coordinating all these submissions

Hear hear!

Plus at least three - and that explains why I sometimes get very rude responding to people who complain too thoughtlessly.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinny1 wrote:
Would be interesting to see what area has had submitted the most.

People who live on motorways with roadworks ;)
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote

I would like to make a suggestion for an improvement.
I would like to see the fixed cameras split into forward facing and others.
Forward facing are far more 'dangerous ' than the regular Gatso type.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they? Surely if you are warned that they are there, there is little difference other than about 50 yards in the trap point.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree. On coming cameras have to be more risky on approach than Gatso, regardless of the warning distance you put in. If I knew it was a forward facing camera, I would definitely be more aware, and it would be interesting to hear from other full time drivers on this point.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I qualify as a full time driver. I don't care which way a camera is pointing, only that it is trapping in the direction I'm travelling.

I agree with M8TJT's opinion that the comparative distance of just a few yards isn't relevant to me.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been requested before but we're not going to be separating the front- and rear-facing cameras into separate files.

MaFt
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

And why is that, if it's been requested before ?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's because only a very small percentage of members have asked, the amount of work involved in doing it would be time consuming, and for no great benefit for the majority. There would be little or no return on investment (of time).
I see no point. A fixed cam is a fixed cam.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nowt to do with me, but in an effort to find the previous answer, my Search came up with very little (I am very bad at using the 'Search' function). I could only find one such suggestion, back in March 2012, which didn't attract any further interest. Not even quantifiable as a percentage of members. They're just fixed cameras, so you get trapped there. These days, even the latest GPS thingies inside the warning devices are hardly more accurate than 15 yards, so front or rear, there's a camera there, beware!

So I'll offer a few suggestions to answer...

1 Try a search yourself to find the previous reason.
2 Consider how many thousands of cameras there are to check and change. How much effort that would involve? - how many different versions of the database exist for how many different PNDs?
3 Consider that some PNDs can't handle the full set already, never mind adding all the changed fixed ones.

TBH, it just isn't practical now even if anybody else agreed with you

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area (Oxfordshire) most fixed cameras are rear facing (i.e. you pass them and they photograph you from the rear) if you're speeding. In Northamptonshire I've noticed a few front facing fixed cameras that photograph you from the front if you're speeding.

There are two front facing cameras in Northamptonshire that I watch out for sudden braking. They are both on the A43 (which is a dual carriageway at that point) on either side of the Green Man Inn, near Silverstone, they are: TRUVELO:5460@70 and TRUVELO:5461@70.

I think that the sudden braking is not so much that the fixed cameras are forward facing but because the speed limit is 70mph and people may not be used to seeing fixed cameras on a 70mph so they assume the speed limit is less than 70mph. However that is just my theory.

I personally don't think that forward facing fixed cameras are any more dangerous that rear facing fixed cameras. I use the PGPSW database to warn me of cameras which also leads me to be warned of sites where there may be sudden breaking from other motorists.

Perhaps the only people who would benefit from having the rear and front facing cameras identified may be individual speeders who have no front number plate, i.e. vehicles such as motor bikes.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: