Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldmaceie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldmaceie wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
Firstly, the speed limit 'markers' are put on the map by the map makers, not the satnav makers and the symptoms you are having are common. The satnav has to know that you have passed the marker before it can alert, thus the alert is usually a few tens of yards after the actual limit sign. Some brands have advanced warnings, but that can be a pain in the butt, getting two warnings for a speed limit change.
WRT incorrect speed limit alerts. Your explanation is a possibility. Again it's the map makers who have got it wrong and it usually takes a long time for them to correct them especially if no-one reports the error. Speed limits on satnavs are notoriously inaccurate, so don't be surprised if you come across a few more errors.

Many Thanks for your response, its good to know that I am not an idiot!

or am I ????
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldmaceie wrote:
or am I ????
Why would you ask that?
oldmaceie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
oldmaceie wrote:
or am I ????
Why would you ask that?

I'm not a tech person and think that I have missed something in the Set Up thus idiot comes to mind, nothing more than that.
oldmaceie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldmaceie wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
oldmaceie wrote:
or am I ????
Why would you ask that?

I'm not a tech person and think that I have missed something in the Set Up thus idiot comes to mind, nothing more than that.

What I was expecting from the RAC 05 dash cam was that I would receive a warning when entering a new speed zone (you explained that one) and when I went above that particular speed limit I would also receive a speed warning to reduce my speed, now its quite possible that is happening and I haven't yet worked out which is which, so could you confirm or not whether or not these warnings are on the RAC 05 dash cam.
"M8TJT" thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

oldmaceie. and I am getting on a bit.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to Privateer Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
The forward collision warning system and lane diversion warning system sound interesting. Do you have any more information and/or a video explaining and demonstrating how they work?

NatashaProofCam wrote:
I am actually working on a short video to explain both systems. Am I right in thinking I cannot post here once ready to share?

Natasha, have you made the video(s) to explain the forward collision and lane diversion warning systems. If so could we have a link please?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Post Edited based upon further testing: key changes flagged in text *

I received my RAC 05 and can clarify a few points from previous posts as well as a review. This device is replacing a Roadhawk RH-1 so I am catching up several generations of tech, but do not have other current models against which to compare it.

Firmware version: v0188k

Overall I feel the device is good and has extra potential when some of the bugs are ironed out but I do acknowledge that some may be user error instead. For journeys where people know the route so don’t need a satnav, the concept of combining a dashcam and speed camera alert is a very god one. Compared with what I had been using, it is a huge leap forward and am pleased with it.

The dashcam itself is well built and the mount is solid and attaches extremely well.

GPS lock – this is fast, even from a cold start, and you get a beep when lock attained.

Video resolution
To clarify previous posts, it does have a couple of 720p options but they aren’t immediately visible in the submenu. The submenu is laid out as a single visible row of options with the 1080p or 1296 resolutions, but the 720p ones are on the row below so you have to repeatedly press the down arrow button in the submenu to see them, though there is enough space to have them all shown on one line.
In addition to the 16:9 2304/1296, 1920/1080 and 1280/720 there is also a 21:9 2560/1080 option which in concept is superb for limiting the amount of dashboard and sky in the video. This will hopefully be my preferred resolution. It would be nice to have a 21:9 aspect ratio option at 720p but sadly there isn’t.
Not tried the HDR mode, but note MaFt’s comment on that.

Digital Speedometer:
Consistently over-reads by 4-5mph at 70mph when run alongside a TomTom and a Holux GPS bicycle computer. In fact it reads higher than my car speedometer. Whilst there will always be small differences in speed measurement using consumer GPS devices, the Holux & TomTom were within 1mph of each other. This needs to be corrected in a firmware update to read true speed. Edit: a firmware fix especially important if the indicated speed is recorded into the video file metadata, otherwise it could falsely incriminate the driver.

Speed camera warnings:
I haven’t totally worked this out yet so there may be future clarifications to this post but so far:
It does take into account direction of travel, so wont beep if the speed camera is uni directional and you are travelling in the opposite direction. If you turn off the main road before getting to the camera then it gives the all clear very quickly.
It knows the difference between fixed camera and mobile as the icons are different (CCTV icon for fixed, and a DSLR icon for mobile).
The ‘distance to speed camera’ numbers starts as a negative number and then counts ‘up’ to zero but the numbers are simply unrealistic. I have had it show -300 metres when my TomTom said I was 220 yards away, yet they both gave the all-clear very close to each other. Admittedly the TomTom has a road map as well, whereas I assume the dashcam is just using absolute distance in a straight line, but if this were the case then most situations except possibly a straight road, the TomTom estimated distance to camera should be the same or greater than the dashcam, not the other way around.
There seems to be a speed/time element to the warnings as am almost convinced I get earlier warnings distance wise when travelling at 50mph when approaching a camera vs in crawling traffic. That said, I haven’t been past a fixed camera at 50mph, so this could be a case of fixed vs mobile. I really hope this time element (or longer distance at speed) is real and not just an artefact during early testing. The longest I have seen on screen is ‘-497 metres’ but with caveat above that it seems less than that distance in real terms.
Average speed cameras/SPECS – not tried these yet.
Speed camera warnings still work in video mode – you don’t have to be in digital speedo mode (as implied in the instructions).

Edit: I have worked out more of the beeps that were confusing me. It seems a combination of:
* the g-sensor being set to medium and pot-holes setting off the alert. Now set to "high" to try to reduce false alerts.
* Speed Warning limit being exceeded (though not in real terms as it over-reads actual speed).
...as well as the normal speed camera warnings.

It would be good to know if the “lifetime speed camera updates” are ‘lifetime of the device’ or ‘lifetime of support for the device’.

Speed warning:
Must be set between 20mph & 70mph. It would be nice to have an “off” or a higher upper limit for when outside the UK.

Parking mode:
Haven’t had the need to test this in anger thankfully, but the onboard battery is big enough to keep parking mode working for at least a day (maybe much longer) without 12v power as it only starts to record when the g-sensor is activated. There will be no video of the car hitting you but will capture it before it pulls away.
There is also an option to continue recording for 0, 1, 3 or 5 minutes after 12v power switched off. Especially useful for cars with start/stop if that car model also kills power to the 12v socket.

Lane Deviation and Collision warning system.
These need to be set up and calibrated across multiple menu options which may explain why I had trouble getting them to work. The instructions for setting the zone of coverage are incorrect but the common sense approach of pressing OK rather than menu at various times got this sorted. Roads have been too busy to test the lane deviation warning functionality though.

Low light warning system.
When turned on it and in a low light situation, it bleeps every ~15 seconds and flashes “low light” in red text on the screen. Personally I don’t see the benefit so have switched that function off.

Video quality
I don’t have other current dashcams against which to compare but to me at least, video quality is excellent.

General:
The micro SD card on mine remains extremely difficult to remove. I have the cam set for parking mode, so even when disconnected from the power supply, I will have loads of short clips of a close-up of my hand as I am trying to get the card out. I hope this is just a one-off with my device. I did manage to swap out for my 64Gb card and have got the dashcam to mount as a removable volume using VMware Fusion for Mac, so hopefully won't need to remove the card often.

Reiterating one of my first comments; overall the device is well built. It has a lot of useful features and has extra potential when some of the bugs are ironed out but I do acknowledge that some may be user error instead. For journeys where people know the route so don’t need a satnav, the concept of combining a dashcam and speed camera alert is a very good one.

Last edited by johnnym100 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for posting your findings johnnym100, some food for thought there.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Lifetime Speed Camera Updates Reply with quote

Good morning,

Thank you very much for this impartial and detailed test review. I have really enjoyed reading it, as have our development team.

With regard to the lifetime speed camera updates, these will be provided for as long as the 05 is on sale/in circulation. We are at the start of a relationship with PocketGPSWorld so anticipate offering the best database available on the market for all future cameras we develop.

Please do let me know if you have any other questions. I am looking into all the constructive points to see how we can improve our cameras immediately.

johnnym100 wrote:
* Post Edited based upon further testing: key changes flagged in text *

I received my RAC 05 and can clarify a few points from previous posts as well as a review. This device is replacing a Roadhawk RH-1 so I am catching up several generations of tech, but do not have other current models against which to compare it.

Firmware version: v0188k

Overall I feel the device is good and has extra potential when some of the bugs are ironed out but I do acknowledge that some may be user error instead. For journeys where people know the route so don’t need a satnav, the concept of combining a dashcam and speed camera alert is a very god one. Compared with what I had been using, it is a huge leap forward and am pleased with it.

The dashcam itself is well built and the mount is solid and attaches extremely well.

GPS lock – this is fast, even from a cold start, and you get a beep when lock attained.

Video resolution
To clarify previous posts, it does have a couple of 720p options but they aren’t immediately visible in the submenu. The submenu is laid out as a single visible row of options with the 1080p or 1296 resolutions, but the 720p ones are on the row below so you have to repeatedly press the down arrow button in the submenu to see them, though there is enough space to have them all shown on one line.
In addition to the 16:9 2304/1296, 1920/1080 and 1280/720 there is also a 21:9 2560/1080 option which in concept is superb for limiting the amount of dashboard and sky in the video. This will hopefully be my preferred resolution. It would be nice to have a 21:9 aspect ratio option at 720p but sadly there isn’t.
Not tried the HDR mode, but note MaFt’s comment on that.

Digital Speedometer:
Consistently over-reads by 4-5mph at 70mph when run alongside a TomTom and a Holux GPS bicycle computer. In fact it reads higher than my car speedometer. Whilst there will always be small differences in speed measurement using consumer GPS devices, the Holux & TomTom were within 1mph of each other. This needs to be corrected in a firmware update to read true speed. I really hope that the indicated speed is not recorded into the video file metadata, otherwise it could falsely incriminate the driver.

Speed camera warnings:
I haven’t totally worked this out yet so there may be future clarifications to this post but so far:
It seems to take into account direction of travel, so wont beep if the speed camera is uni directional and you are travelling in the opposite direction. If you turn off the main road before getting to the camera then it gives the all clear very quickly.
It knows the difference between fixed camera and mobile as the icons are different (CCTV icon for fixed, and a DSLR icon for mobile).
The ‘distance to speed camera’ numbers starts as a negative number and then counts ‘up’ to zero but the numbers are simply unrealistic. I have had it show -300 metres when my TomTom said I was 220 yards away, yet they both gave the all-clear very close to each other. Admittedly the TomTom has a road map as well, whereas I assume the dashcam is just using absolute distance in a straight line, but if this were the case then most situations except possibly a straight road, the TomTom estimated distance to camera should be the same or greater than the dashcam, not the other way around.
There seems to be a speed/time element to the warnings as am almost convinced I get earlier warnings distance wise when travelling at 50mph when approaching a camera vs in crawling traffic. That said, I haven’t been past a fixed camera at 50mph, so this could be a case of fixed vs mobile. I really hope this time element (or longer distance at speed) is real and not just an artefact during early testing. The longest I have seen on screen is ‘-497 metres’ but with caveat above that it seems less than that distance in real terms.
Average speed cameras/SPECS – not tried these yet.
Speed camera warnings still work in video mode – you don’t have to be in digital speedo mode (as implied in the instructions).

Edit: I have worked out more of the beeps that were confusing me. It seems a combination of:
* the g-sensor being set to medium and pot-holes setting off the alert. Now set to "high" to try to reduce false alerts.
* Speed Warning limit being exceeded (though not in real terms as it over-reads actual speed).
...as well as the normal speed camera warnings.

It would be good to know if the “lifetime speed camera updates” are ‘lifetime of the device’ or ‘lifetime of support for the device’.

Speed warning:
Must be set between 20mph & 70mph. It would be nice to have an “off” or a higher upper limit for when outside the UK.

Parking mode:
Haven’t had the need to test this in anger thankfully, but the onboard battery is big enough to keep parking mode working for at least a day (maybe much longer) without 12v power as it only starts to record when the g-sensor is activated. There will be no video of the car hitting you but will capture it before it pulls away.
There is also an option to continue recording for 0, 1, 3 or 5 minutes after 12v power switched off. Especially useful for cars with start/stop if that car model also kills power to the 12v socket.

Lane Deviation and Collision warning system.
These need to be set up and calibrated across multiple menu options which may explain why I had trouble getting them to work. The instructions for setting the zone of coverage are incorrect but the common sense approach of pressing OK rather than menu at various times got this sorted. Roads have been too busy to test the lane deviation warning functionality though.

Low light warning system.
When turned on it and in a low light situation, it bleeps every ~15 seconds and flashes “low light” in red text on the screen. Personally I don’t see the benefit so have switched that function off.

Video quality
I don’t have other current dashcams against which to compare but to me at least, video quality is excellent.

General:
The micro SD card on mine remains extremely difficult to remove. I have the cam set for parking mode, so even when disconnected from the power supply, I will have loads of short clips of a close-up of my hand as I am trying to get the card out. I hope this is just a one-off with my device. I did manage to swap out for my 64Gb card and have got the dashcam to mount as a removable volume using VMware Fusion for Mac, so hopefully won't need to remove the card often.

Reiterating one of my first comments; overall the device is well built. It has a lot of useful features and has extra potential when some of the bugs are ironed out but I do acknowledge that some may be user error instead. For journeys where people know the route so don’t need a satnav, the concept of combining a dashcam and speed camera alert is a very good one.
rayle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifetime Speed Camera Updates Reply with quote

Hi Natasha.

I have recently purchased the 05 and getting to grips with it.
My question is about the date for the updates, at the moment they are shown as edogdata.dat, with no reference to the date.

A nice little unit, but the volume could be higher, voice warning would also be helpful if posibble at some future date.
Ray.
CardiffJaguar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Dashcams Reply with quote

I like the review and all the detail here but what about cameras that record the rear as well as forward?

Any suggestions?
oldmaceie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: RAC o5 gps dashcam Reply with quote

EDIT - Unneccessary quoting of previous posts deleted as not contributing to the poster's comments - DennisN

Am I the only one not happy with this dash cam?? I have been in touch with the RAC to complain about false speed alerts, fixed speed alert only working when you are considerably above the speed limit, no response from proof.com on my emails.
I have been in a 50mph limit and its come up at 70mph, I have been in a 30mph limit and it has come up 50mph, I don't receive quote "alerts drivers to upcoming speed Fixed.
On my last local journey I only had one correct notification to the speed ahead and when I got to my destination at Tescos car park (5mph) it said 50mph, OK I IGNORED THAT ONE.
On the Proofcam update page WHY wasn't it stated that the UPDATE would only work on certain internet providers i.e. I could not get it to work on Internet Explorer but after trolling round FIREFOX was mentioned and yes I eventually d/loaded it so clearly NOT USER FRIENDLY.
Waiting for RAC to get back to me to decide what to do next.
Thankyou for reading this Rant.
mikeharris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm happy.

I did initially have some problems but Jessica and the guys got me a new firmware within five working days...

The speed reported seems accurate and the camera warnings appear to work as I would expect.

The download 'issue' is because different browsers handle links differently, Usually, right click and 'save target as' will do the trick. (Not in Edge though...)

customer@proofcam.com is the email address I have used and I have always had a timely response.

I am however having problems with GoogleGpsPlayer and I do have a call logged about it.

Overall I'm pleased with the unit and the support given by proofcam.

Mike
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting feedback Mike. What is the version number of your new firmware?

John.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RAC o5 gps dashcam Reply with quote

oldmaceie wrote:
EDIT - Unneccessary quoting of previous posts deleted as not contributing to the poster's comments - DennisN
You could do that more often Dennis. Peeps don't seem top see the ' 'Post Reply' button at the bottom of the page.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to oldmaceie Reply with quote

Good afternoon oldmaceie,

Could I kindly ask you to email me at natasha@proofcam.com so I can look into the responses you have had from our customer service team. I'd like to look at the immediate improvements we can make and resolve any issues you have as quickly as possible.

Thank you.
Natasha

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: