Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google Maps gets offline navigation and search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Maps gets offline navigation and search
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Google Maps gets offline navigation and search Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Google has added offline navigation and search to its map app. This much sought after feature means you can now download an area of interest and Google Maps will continue to work regardless of connectivity. Much though we wish it were not true, there are still large areas where data connectivity is patchy or non-existent and this will also benefit those of you wishing to use it whilst abroad and roaming.

Offline map viewing is not new of course, this feature has been available for a long time. But the addition of off-line search and navigation is the game-changer here and that makes offline access a great deal more useful.

Downloading a map area is easy and the app will automatically switch to an offline map if connectivity is lost. Download is enabled for WiFi only by default to avoid any data usage fees or penalties.

The update is rolling out to Android users now and coming to iOS soon.

Source: googleblog

email icon

rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably it will be possible to get CamAlert to run Google Maps at the same time as itself - as for other navigation apps?

If so, how about taking the next step and doing a proper integration so that the camera positions can be seen on the map - like they can on dedicated PNDs?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Presumably it will be possible to get CamAlert to run Google Maps at the same time as itself - as for other navigation apps?

If so, how about taking the next step and doing a proper integration so that the camera positions can be seen on the map - like they can on dedicated PNDs?

No that would be really good especially for those of us with tablets and the latest TT devices that can't accept the database as POIs.

I'd even pay for that.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunty1948 wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:

No that would be really good especially for those of us with tablets and the latest TT devices that can't accept the database as POIs.

I'd even pay for that.

I assume that your first work should be "Now"?

This would indeed be good. With people able to use a wide variety of nav apps with CamAlert, it obviously wouldn't be practical to integrate all of them. But, with a mainstream app like Google Maps, I would like to think that a case could be made for integrating this one.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Autumn 2014 while visiting the UK, I tried out navigation on Google Maps and it worked well even though I had data turned off as I was roaming, although the instructions weren't as pleasant as TomTom's Tim.

This year I was visiting again but couldn't get Google Maps at all unless I was in a wifi hotspot. I now know that I can download maps but I'd like to know why I could get the maps without downloading or having data enabled 14 months ago.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
In Autumn 2014 while visiting the UK, I tried out navigation on Google Maps and it worked well even though I had data turned off as I was roaming, although the instructions weren't as pleasant as TomTom's Tim.

This year I was visiting again but couldn't get Google Maps at all unless I was in a wifi hotspot. I now know that I can download maps but I'd like to know why I could get the maps without downloading or having data enabled 14 months ago.

I'm afraid that I can't explain that. In my experience, you've always needed an internet connection to get any real-time map functions - although there has long been the ability to download map segments for off-line use.

I don't know how this new navigation facility (turn by turn voice commands with off-line maps) is being rolled out. I've just updated my Android tablet to the latest version of Google Maps offered to me - and it doesn't have that facility. Also, it seems to me that to make it work decently, the method of downloading maps will need to change. At the moment, you can only download a smallish area at a time - with a span of 20 miles or so. If you try to do more, it says area too large and tells you to zoom in to a smaller area. By contrast, the Here app allows you to download the whole of England in one go.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
And I assume that you really meant "I assume that your first word should be "Now"?"
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:
And I assume that you really meant "I assume that your first word should be "Now"?"

Indeed. Fair cop, Guv!

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Dreedle, Catch 22 wrote:
Take him out and shoot him
Very Happy

Last edited by M8TJT on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Google have raised the size of downloadable tiles, rather than having to download a whole raft of little tiles to cover the North West, I've been able to download Stoke to Penrith x Liverpool to Leeds as one huge tile Smile
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
It seems Google have raised the size of downloadable tiles, rather than having to download a whole raft of little tiles to cover the North West, I've been able to download Stoke to Penrith x Liverpool to Leeds as one huge tile Smile

Interesting! If I tap the Tips & Tricks option in the Google Maps app on my android tablet it opens a browser and takes me to an online document about downloading maps for offline use.

This says "This article applies to iOS devices" and provides a link to the equivalent Android article. Among other things, the iOS article says "The biggest size for an offline map is 50km x 50km"

HOWEVER, when I switch to the Android article, THAT says "The biggest size for an offline area is 120,000 square kilometers" which, if square, would equate to about 350km x 350km - a far cry from the 50km mentioned above.

NEVERTHELESS, when I try to save a map on my Android device, it won't let me save anything that is more than about 30 miles in scope.

I suppose that the on-line article might be referring to a different version of the app from the one I'm using - but I updated mine only yesterday and thus assume it to be the latest version.

Anyone got any comments?

JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Anyone got any comments?

Nexus 6
Maps v9.17.1 Updated 13 Nov 2015
I don't see a download option.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:
Anyone got any comments?

Nexus 6
Maps v9.17.1 Updated 13 Nov 2015
I don't see a download option.

It's there, but they don't make it easy!

Have a look at https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/6291838 which just might cast some light on it. [You can also get to that article on the device by tapping the burger icon to the left of Search Google Maps, and then tapping Tips and Tricks.]

Incidentally, I've updated the app on my device again (don't know what went wrong yesterday) and I too am now on version 9.17.1

Now, when I go to the download option, it allows me to download a much bigger area than before. At an appropriate zoom level, it's possible to display the rectangle of map which will be captured, and to move the map around behind it in order to optimise the part selected.

Having done that, I've gone offline and gone through the motions of doing offline navigation - and it appears to work - but I haven't yet tried a real journey.

IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

Having updated Google Maps on 13th I was very pleased to discover the tile size increase and promptly downloaded the whole of the NW with took the best part of 400mb however, I have today had a warning that my off line tile is about to expire and needs updating. Whilst it's great that I now get a warning, what is not do great is that the off line data lasted just 5 days before renewal was needed Shocked

Edit: The new data says that it expires in 29 days so maybe the above was just a glitch?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

Having updated Google Maps on 13th I was very pleased to discover the tile size increase and promptly downloaded the whole of the NW with took the best part of 400mb

Have you actually used it for off-line navigation? I've had a little test run, but haven't used it extensively.

It seems to work at a basic level, with turn by turn instructions, and it automatically re-routes if you go the 'wrong' way.

But I can't find any way of displaying the current speed, let alone giving a warning if the posted limit is exceeded - both of which the Here app does quite well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: