Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why are you so unhelpful?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are you so unhelpful?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeryFrustrated
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Why are you so unhelpful? Reply with quote

I wanted to re-subscribe to your database, but first I wanted to remove your software from my Garmin Nuvi 350. The reason was that, for some strange reason, I have 2 voices talking to me simultaneously, so I wanted to clear it so I could be sure the sat nav was not faulty. I asked politely through your contact button, for someone to tell me which file I needed to delete. I got a snooty email back telling me they only helped current subscribers. The email was quite long, yet I'm sure that just giving me the information I wanted would have taken far less time.
As it is, I cannot re-subscribe as I need to find out if my sat nav is OK.

It would have taken your customer service seconds to help - so why didn't they?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 'software' from this site on your nuvi, or indeed anyone else's nuvi. What there might be are some files.

When are you hearing 2 voices?

(Incidentally you can't expect the staff here to reply to individual emails to non subscribers or they'd have no time to deal with those that do pay and have issues, that's what the forums are for and now you've posted here I'm sure your issue can be resolved)

(and maybe a mod could move this to the nuvi forum if that is felt to be more relevant)
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not say we only helped current subscribers, I said the support system was for subscription related queries.

For the sake of transparency, here are my replies via our subscription support system...

Hello ****,

Thank you for your enquiry. As this support system is intended for subscription related queries only you will need to post your issue in our forums.

Our forums enable a speedy resolution to your issue and benefit others who may be experiencing the same problem.

To post in our forums please visit http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums

----------------

VeryFrustrated's reply (redacted)

----------------
I'm sorry you feel that way ****.

We supply subscription support, as opposed to technical support, through our dedicated support service only (this service that you are using presently).

As the main purpose of our site is a forum to help users with questions such as yours, we route all technical queries through them - this benefits the community.

There are many other Nuvi 350 owners and PocketGPSWorld.com team members on our forums who will be able to assist and answer your query. Also, if you post in the forums it would be easier for us to establish if the issue affects others.

I did not say you would not be helped, but directed you to the relevant platform as opposed to account support.
VeryFrustrated
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Sussamb, but do you know the file name?

Incidentally, I know I'm being pedantic, but "All software is divided into two general categories: data files and programs." The files you mention are still called software according to Webopedia, and every other computer dictionary, simply because they contain data.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were being pedantic about susamb's use of 'software' but you failed miserably to answer his direct question that could quite well lead to him diagnosing the problem and then telling you which file(s) to remove. (It's ok for me to call the stuff on your Garmin 'files' is it? Very Happy
VeryFrustrated
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can call them files, or anything else, because I'll still understand and not correct you, because they are files, or data, or software. I was just trying to clarify a mistaken assumption, lest people got confused. Language only works when everyone understands what words actually mean.

Anyway, to answer your question, I did not reply with the exact problem because all I want is the name of the file that holds all the speed camera locations. My voices problem has no bearing on the file name.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it does, which is why I asked the question.

As to what software is, it's normally considered to be the programs installed on a computer rather than files installed by a user. Some definitions include data, but many don't. Most users wouldn't consider files installed by a user as 'software', no matter what webopedia says.

If answering the initial question is too difficult perhaps you could simply list what files are in the POI folder on your nuvi?
VeryFrustrated
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NethCyclopsSample_010207.gpi, PORTUGALSPAINCYCLOPSSAMPLE_032107.GPI, UKCyclopsSample_010207.gpi,
Unzipped cameras.gpi,
BeluxCyclopsSample_010207.gpi,
Desktop.gpi,
FranceCyclopsSample_010207.gpi,
Garmin Speed cameras.gpi

I imagine the file for deletion is Unzipped cameras.qpi, but I just wanted verification. I thought it would be easy to confirm my suspicions.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Thanks.

The cyclopsSample files are the files initially installed on your nuvi when you bought it, so by now will be well out of date, or could be free trials from elsewhere.

Any of the remaining files could be camera files from this site, as a user can name them whatever they want.

If you're getting double warnings of cameras it wouldn't be surprising as you could have both the Garmin ones and ones from this site selected.

If it were me I'd remove all those files and see what happens. If all is normal you could then add them back one at a time to see what effect there is. As advised though I wouldn't use the CyclopsSample files.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeryFrustrated wrote:
Anyway, to answer your question, I did not reply with the exact problem because all I want is the name of the file that holds all the speed camera locations. My voices problem has no bearing on the file name.
Of course it matters when you are getting "2 voices talking to me simultaneously", as if those voices were navigation instructions, then it has nothing to do with speed cameras or any other POI.
You leave others frustrated as well, as it seems that you can't/won't answer a simple question. In the light of your further post, how hard would it have been to say "I get double camera alerts" or similar?
If you ask for help and someone asks you a direct question to do with your circumstances, it is only polite to answer it, and you never know, it might even help the other person come up with an answer to your problem instead of having to ask a different question in an attempt to illicit information from you with regard to your problem.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin's own cameras do't "talk" as far as I'm aware, last time I used them I think they just dinged.

The default name for any POIs that you install (whether speed cams or McDonalds etc) is the name of the folder they were in on your PC/Mac. So if you unzipped the files to a folder called "Unzipped cameras" then the name of the file on your Garmin would be "Unzipped cameras.gpi"

If however you unzipped them straight to your Desktop then the file on the Garmin would be "Desktop.gpi".

Or if the folder was "Garmin Speed cameras" then the file would be "Garmin Speed cameras.gpi".

You have all 3 of the above so I would suspect those are your duplicates - the other ones look like preinstalled ones from Garmin/Cyclops.

As a tip we recommend using the same file/folder name with each release because then the old data will be over-written instead of ending up with duplicates.

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, Garmin's own Cyclops only bong and fairly quietly as well from what I remember.

As posted, delete all those files and start again and ensure you only have one camera file.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes my blood boil to see this big bold title. Normally I get into rant mode and insult the OP, but on this occasion I'll just comment that it's clear he/she either can't read or can't understand what he/she reads.

Probably explains why people shout at me for not RTFL!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the OP would like to change the tile and ditch the 'un'. But at least he didn't do in in ALL CAPS
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to make friends and influence people! Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: