Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch new GO 51 and 61 with Lifetime World Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch new GO 51 and 61 with Lifetime World Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: TomTom Launch new GO 51 and 61 with Lifetime World Maps Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
TomTom have launched their two latest GO sat navs - the GO 51 and GO 61. Both have Lifetime World Maps, Lifetime Speed Cameras and Lifetime TomTom Traffic. The GO 51 has a 5" touchscreen and the GO 61 has a 6" touchscreen.

The current range of TomTom GO now all have Lifetime services included, although you need a smartphone data connection to use TomTom traffic on these two new devices.

The GO 51 and 61 are available now with an RRP of £139.99 and £159.99 respectively.

email icon
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can you use Third Party POIs on them? Rolling Eyes

If TomTom offers life time maps and services where is their incentive to support the products after the first year? Surely TomTom is throwing away potential revenue by not charging for annual map updates and annual services like traffic?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is they hope to outweigh the costs of map updates etc by selling more units. Remember, they OWN the maps as opposed to licensing them out so I'm sure there's some clever intra-company finance stuff going on...
larry17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: 3rd party POIs Reply with quote

Yes, I would also like to know if third party POIs can be used. My Tomtom XL will have to do a bit longer if they don't! Question This has been an issue with TT GPS units for several years and we keep getting told they are working on it.

I'm starting to think they are using the world's Governments way of handling problems...
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to know about third party POIs. I've got a TT that must be getting on for 10 years old and it really is time I thought about replacement. It currently has several sets of POIs that I wish to retain. Having seen the recent $1m prize offered for anyone who could jailbreak iOS9, I'm not suggesting anyone could offer the same here, but surely someone sommewhere must be able to figure out how to jailbreak a TT so users can have control of THEIR device and add POIs of their choosing? I am not a techie so is this just an impossible pipedream in practice?
Moorish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Latest Tomtom models Reply with quote

Have just upgraded from my GO910 to a refurbished GO920T. The issue of 3rd party POIs solved. Updating was a bit of a faff, but worked at second attempt. Delighted with this 8 year old model.
Let's hope it sees out my driving days.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It raises the question of how long is "lifetime" according to TomTom, I'm still using my TT one Version 4, no plans to buy another and will not ever bother with the rubbish app again.
arfurdent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Latest Tomtom models Reply with quote

So what is in it for TomTom to allow third party POIs apart from a few extra sales. They locked down the operating system to block map pirates. Blocking third party POIs is part of the same process.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Latest Tomtom models Reply with quote

arfurdent wrote:
So what is in it for TomTom to allow third party POIs apart from a few extra sales. They locked down the operating system to block map pirates. Blocking third party POIs is part of the same process.

Blocking third party POI's might just kill them off for good, which seems to be their intention, how not to run a company.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Latest Tomtom models Reply with quote

arfurdent wrote:

TomTom were one of the first (they might even have been the first) to offer third party POIs to the public on the TomTom Navigator for Pocket PC. That made a huge change for users and helped sites like PocketGPSWorld to create its library of POIs.

Whilst TomTom built-in POIs are much better than they used to be, there are POIs that they may never have (in one convenient category) such as Friends and Family, business contacts, places for holidays like that little car park in the middle of nowhere for that perfect beach, etc.

You don't miss what you never had, but third party POIs are essential to a lot of people.

What TomTom gives, TomTom takes away. Have a look at Andy_P's Some depressing lists - What's been dropped in new models thread.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
hertz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
But can you use Third Party POIs on them? Rolling Eyes

For my colleagues in the Electricity Supply Industry, the ability to use 3rd party POIs is essential. We have the Company's database of local substations on TomToms allowing us to drive directly to hundreds of substations, some of which can be in obscure positions. When your electricity goes off due to a fault on the network, the faster engineers can get to the switching points to isolate the fault and re-route supplies the better - there's nothing worse than driving round and round a dark housing estate trying to find the substation to get power back on!
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a Council and have about 300 buildings to visit from time to time. I have made a POI file of them all which makes it easy. I use that on an old Go520. POIs are essential Tomtom.

The other point is, I believe lifetime maps an services means for the lifetime of the device being current with Tomtom. If they bring out a new model each year that means 1 year only.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that they have moved over to lifetime maps and lifetime Traffic, there is surely no longer any need to protect the copyright of their maps?

My GO1005 died yesterday and I've bought a 5100 for full world lifetime mapping and lifetime Traffic. Yet again another example of what TomTom bring out new is worse than before. I now have to find out how this thing works (if it ever stops twirling round updating the map - been going over an hour already).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have said this before, but for outright usability as far as POIS are concerned I've not found anything to bear Maps.me https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro just convert OV2 to KML email it to yourself open the email and it automatically pops into Maps.me, adding new ones touch the maps and save it.

I have Copilot for Android and as a map it's OK but yesterday I had to come back from Rossendale to Pudsey at 4pm and it kept re-routing me to the worst possible roads, as an ex courier I knew which way to go, took an hour but I did not get stuck in traffic once, had I followed it, it would been 2 hours easily, sorry off topic, meant to moan about it's handling of POIs, which is awful, I can do it but I'm limited to the amount of categories and even when I do get them on I can only see my local are no distant ones visible which is stupid, if I want to got to POIs in another county etc, by looking on the map and selecting it, as I can with my old TomTom and also M.Me.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip K13ehr, I've just installed it and shall give it a try.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: