Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Request for a Keep CamerAlert Running app
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for a Keep CamerAlert Running app

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAA_1231083708
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Request for a Keep CamerAlert Running app Reply with quote

How about a little app to overcome the problem of CA closing after 10 mins if no movement. If I forget to close CA at a service area I find myself driving off thinking it's still running ( I have it running in background behind a satnav app) Rather than change CA to have option to prevent that, could a separate app solve the problem? It would work as follows...
- start up CA as first action
- then check every minute to see if CA still runnng. If it isn't then start it up again.
So I wouldn't need to remember to restart CA each time I took a break. Also if for some reason my phone closed CA unexpectedly then CA would restart automatically. It would be the users responsiblity to close the little app before closing CA.

An enhanced version could add the following..
- user defined frequency for checking to see if CA still running
- closing the little app would automatically close CA
Benefits of this approach are..
- CA doesn't need to be changed
- only those who are troubled by finding CA not running when expected would need to use it
- less risk of missing alerts as CA would be there all the time the little app was running

Hope this makes sense.I'm not an Android developer so don't know how feasible or easy to achieve but in theory it sounds simple and tiny. I'd volunteer to test if anyone thinks it's worth developing.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the 10 min shutdown was a mod to satisfy those who complained that it was sapping their battery when they forgot to exit. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose. I must admit that it pees me off as well. An option for auto shutdown or not would be the answer and satisfy both schools of thought.
How about it devs?
CAA_1231083708
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an option would solve the 10 min closedown. But as someone else commented some months ago, Android chooses to close CA sometimes. The CA option wouldn't solve that, whereas a KCAR app ( Keep CamerAlert Running) would kill both birds with the one stone, so to speak. And I guess would be easier to implement as it wouldn't involve changing the CA app itself.
CAA_1231083708
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an option would solve the 10 min closedown. But as someone else commented some months ago, Android chooses to close CA sometimes. The CA option wouldn't solve that, whereas a KCAR app ( Keep CamerAlert Running) would kill both birds with the one stone, so to speak. And I guess would be easier to implement as it wouldn't involve changing the CA app itself.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's twice you said that Very Happy
Is there not an Android app that will do that?
CAA_1231083708
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a good alternative for the autoclose issue. So far I've not found one but I'd welcome any suggestion. Oops, don't know how the repeat got there ..hope this doesn't appear 3 times !
CAA_1231083708
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a good alternative for the autoclose issue. So far I've not found one but I'd welcome any suggestion. Oops, don't know how the repeat got there ..hope this doesn't appear 3 times !
CAA_1231083708
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did. Don't get too over enthusiastic with the submit button.
It's one way of getting your post count up quickly Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: