Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your last post indicates the you are exceedingly skilled in brevity. Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is better? Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
I would suggest finding unbiased footage from these cameras on YouTube and users comments and then making an educated decision.

Like I did for my review of the Roadhawk DC-2? http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviewed-roadhawk-dc-2-a62gth.php

A mixture of footage from sunny, wet and night in both 720 and 1080.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Your last post indicates the you are exceedingly skilled in brevity. Very Happy

Maybe
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that YouTube degrades the quality of videos, so take this into account when judging the clarity of any video footage.
Here's a quick video from my front dashcam... you'll see how YouTube has caused horrible compression artefacts on the videos and the stuttering is because YouTube doesn't like 25 fps video :-/
Having a dashcam that has GPS data muxed into the video stream which can prove very useful for identifying location, speed, altitude and direction etc and most have accelerometers safeguarding (locking) important footage in the even of an impact.
Day video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJXc3LSL02c
Night video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odq-C7xEbss
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to Privateer Reply with quote

Thank you for the information on how to share a video. I will be adding video to our YouTube channel but I will add links here.

I'm also very interested in MaFts review. Especially Privateer's points - However the crucial thing is quality of the video (both day and night) and how quickly the GPS gets a lock on satellites and how well it keeps the lock.

Enjoy your weekends!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natasha, the killer question for me is the speed camera update process (let's face it, this thread is on PGPSW and whoops up the fact that it uses the pgpsw camera database).

At present, PGPSW updates the database every Wednesday, come rain or shine (over the past however many years it has done so utterly reliably, with perhaps two missing).

So, having been told PGPSW will supply you with the data every week, how often and on which day, will you make the latest release available?

I also want to know what warnings will be given, both visual and audible?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whether they are directional? Does the average speed calculation reset as you pass a middle camera (good) or does it just calculate from the first one (bad)?
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my head around the pricing model - I can spend £150 (not incl. discounts) on the 05 model ... or pay £25 more for the 07 and get something that isn't as good?! How does that work, then? ;-)

I nearly bought a Blackvue a few weeks ago, but didn't - looking at these models, and factoring in the discount, I'm glad I didn't. Awaiting the review with much interest ...
PaulRoss1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: RAC 05 GPS Super HD Video DashCam Reply with quote

I am worried about theft, = damage, from the vehicle if left in the car when not driving, is it reasonable to leave it stuck to the windscreen at all times? No one has commented about using in a removable way, does the mount stick to the windscreen and the camera can be removed when you get out of the car? I've found the suction cup is not very reliable if you need to fix it every time you get in the car, any comments?
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to DennisN and M8TJT Reply with quote

Good afternoon,

Whilst I re-confirm on the release timing...

With regard to warnings which factors in a question from M8TJT - The alert is visual and audible. They are not directional if that means does it tell you the direction? However, it does only tell you about cameras in the direction in which you are travelling, as opposed to on the other side of the road.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to M8TJT Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the average speed calculation reset as you pass a middle camera (good) or does it just calculate from the first one (bad)?

I actually discussed this question with Robert (Brady) this afternoon. The answer is the average speed is reset between each camera.

As per Robert - Average speed (or SPECs) are becoming more prevalent now. There is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding of how these work. The system uses pairs of cameras separated by 500 or more meters. When you pass the first camera your car is recorded along with the time you passed. When you pass the next set of cameras the time is taken again, then the system works out how long it took you to complete that stretch of road and knowing the distance between cameras it can work out your average speed. Most Speed Camera Alert systems will inform you of the actual cameras, but not the fact that you are in an average speed area. The PocketGPSWorld.com CamerAlert app does record these cameras correctly and will keep a record of the average speed you travel in each section of the Average Speed Camera coverage.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to PaulRoss1 Reply with quote

Quote:
I am worried about theft, = damage, from the vehicle if left in the car when not driving, is it reasonable to leave it stuck to the windscreen at all times? No one has commented about using in a removable way, does the mount stick to the windscreen and the camera can be removed when you get out of the car? I've found the suction cup is not very reliable if you need to fix it every time you get in the car, any comments?

I have come across two schools of thought. One is that a small, black and discreet camera, as an example, the RAC 05 dash cam, will act as a deterrent to theft so some customers prefer to leave it in their vehicles at all times.

We have started to produce camera cases following customer feedback that that they wanted the option to leave the mount in place and take the camera with them when they leave their vehicle/overnight. If the camera is correctly placed behind the rear view mirror then I don't think it will draw too much attention if the mount remains.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to M8TJT Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:
As per Robert - Average speed (or SPECs) are becoming more prevalent now. There is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding of how these work. The system uses pairs of cameras separated by 500 or more meters. When you pass the first camera your car is recorded along with the time you passed. When you pass the next set of cameras the time is taken again, then the system works out how long it took you to complete that stretch of road and knowing the distance between cameras it can work out your average speed.
The thing is that average speed cameras do no just work in pairs. They work on a sequence of cameras. iGO have made the mistake of thinking that they only work in pairs and switch off the average speed calculation at the second camera and then switch it on again at the third. If there is no fourth camera it continues to calculate your average speed and warn you that you are overspeed until you manually switch it off. It is believed that the second camera is the end of the first stretch and the start of the second etc. Specs in UK often have an odd number of cameras in a sequence to support this. It needs to start and display your average speed calculation at the first cam, reset it at the second and recalculate your average speed between the second and third etc. I believe that TomTom's offering only calculates the average speed from the first camera and does not take into consideration intermediate cams. As the PGPS database also marks the end of section camera, or has a dummy end cam, it could be implemented extremely well and be a USP, unlike your competitors.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to M8TJT Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I believe that TomTom's offering only calculates the average speed from the first camera and does not take into consideration intermediate cams.
I believe this is correct. My experience is that is what happens.

The result COULD be a scenario which I have actually experienced...

Approach a specs zone at very low speed - maybe traffic backs up as it approaches the zone, so you enter at an unusually low speed, say 15mph. TT then calculates and displays your average, starting from the base of 15mph. As you pick up speed through the zone, your average continues to be calculated from the first camera and is not reset and recalculated from the second. If you watch your average speed according to TT, after the second camera you can easily well exceed the limit, yet still show an average well below it. When you reach the third camera, you're stuffed - whilst your average from camera 1 to 3 might be under the limit, between 2 and 3 you can unwittingly average well over the limit.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good example explanation Dennis. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: