Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Mobile
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Mobile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Mobile Reply with quote

If you're one of those who has been desperately awaiting the launch of TomTom Mobile then this product will need little introduction!

First announced at CeBit Hanover in March this year, TomTom Mobile is a smartphone compatible version of their leading GPS navigation solution, TomTom Navigator.

TomTom Mobile contains all the features of the Pocket PC version and adds some additional ones such as built-in POI Alerting.

Although I admit to being skeptical about the suitability of a smartphone's smaller screen real estate for displaying maps and driving instructions I can happily say that I am a convert. The displays are bright and clear and an added bonus is that many handsets including all the MS Smartphone's have a speaker phone facility. As a side product of this the speakers are loud and work well when playing back driving instructions in guidance mode.

Darren has completed the full review and it is available here.
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: If i already have BT receiver Reply with quote

Hi dave,
I already have the TT BT receiver for my Ipaq 1940. Is this compatible with TT Mobile version in case I move to a smartphone?
Regards
Jerry
Milan
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. TomTom Mobile will only work with the supplied TomTom GPS receiver. TomTom have been asked about this and they said it would not be available as a standalone software package. I believe it's a security measure to help prevent piracy of their software.
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review Dave & Darren, thanks. A small comment on "TomTom Mobile cannot be used in conjunction with Bluetooth car kits or headsets unless your phone supports concurrent Bluetooth connections to multiple devices. This could turn out to be the achilles heel of current handsets as none offer the facility for concurrent Bluetooth connections." I'm not sure that this is correct? Paul (and others) over at Modaco are using BT Headsets and GPSs at the same time, on E200s and C500s. Combos I've seen mentioned so far are Plantronics M2500 BT headset with Belkin BT GPS and M3000 BT headset with Fortuna BT GPS.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry70 wrote:
I already have the TT BT receiver for my Ipaq 1940. Is this compatible with TT Mobile version in case I move to a smartphone?

I believe so, but Darren should be able to tell you for sure as he has an old TomTom BT GPS.

fozzie63 wrote:
Nice review Dave & Darren, thanks. A small comment on "TomTom Mobile cannot be used in conjunction with Bluetooth car kits or headsets unless your phone supports concurrent Bluetooth connections to multiple devices. This could turn out to be the achilles heel of current handsets as none offer the facility for concurrent Bluetooth connections." I'm not sure that this is correct? Paul (and others) over at Modaco are using BT Headsets and GPSs at the same time, on E200s and C500s. Combos I've seen mentioned so far are Plantronics M2500 BT headset with Belkin BT GPS and M3000 BT headset with Fortuna BT GPS.

I'm not sure what Darren has tested but I think it may be down more to the headsets. I have a G2 and that does work on the E200 / Qtek 8080 whilst it has a Bluetooth connection. I've checked the BT GPS and from what I can tell it doesn't drop connection to the GPS or anticipate where you are on the road, they both work in tandem, the only difference is that obviously LIVE/GPRS drops when you accept a call.

This may be different with other phones, or with other headsets, I'm not 100% sure here.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: If i already have BT receiver Reply with quote

Jerry70 wrote:
Hi dave,
Regards
Jerry
Milan

Yes it is compatible but as TT Mobile can only be bought with the TT BT GPS Receiver then it won't help you!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fozzie63 wrote:

My mistake, I had no success with my BT Headset which has self dstructed today anyway. It is most likely the headset which was my problem as Dave has had no issues with his Qtek and a BT Headset. I have removed that comment from the review Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fozzie63 wrote:
No. TomTom Mobile will only work with the supplied TomTom GPS receiver. TomTom have been asked about this and they said it would not be available as a standalone software package. I believe it's a security measure to help prevent piracy of their software.

It will work with any standard TomTom BT GPS Receiver, the one bundles with Smartphone is identical to those that come with other TomTom Packages BUT as TT Mobile is only available as a bundle with this receiver whther you have one already or not is inconsequential Crying or Very sad
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It will work with any standard TomTom BT GPS Receiver, the one bundles with Smartphone is identical to those that come with other TomTom Packages BUT as TT Mobile is only available as a bundle with this receiver whther you have one already or not is inconsequential Crying or Very sad

Sorry, that's my mistake. I meant to suggest it would only work with a TomTom BT GPS ;)
spillers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the attention of Dave or Darren,

When do you think TOMTOM will make this available for C500 users??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know, solutions are being tested but as to when these will be released that depends on when they fix it!
RogerRoger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a new-to-gps user I'm following this as best I can --- I have just ordered an Orange E200 --- I will order Navigator 3 as soon as the phone arrives --- I will then want to get a Bluetooth headset --- what is the headset recommendation for this set up? I don't have a bottomless pit of dosh!

Tanks for any input!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a Bluetrek G2, they're fairly reasonably priced at around £35.
RogerRoger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the BLUETREK tip. I have started to look out for it - no desparate need yet.

What about map coverage? I now have TomTom mobile to go with the E200 - I'm very impressed - BUT - I was told that the GB map SD card includes major roads in Europe. Can't seem to find any way of accessing that. Am I mistaken?

RR
ZrednaZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you were travelling to a foreign country not supported by your initial package - would you have to buy a completely new MMC card from TomTom including a new GPS receiver, or would you be able to replace the existing card's maps with new ones purchased over the net? Rolling Eyes

/Zred

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: