Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
We are delighted to announce our involvement with RAC DashCam, and to play a part in the latest evolution of dash cam technology.

The RAC's new unit, the RAC 05 GPS Super HD Video DashCam is not only armed with GPS to record speed and location, but also includes the PocketGPSWorld.com speed camera database which alerts drivers to upcoming speed (fixed, average and mobile), roadworks and red light cameras.

For those who don't yet know, dash cams are huge news at the moment, with sales increasing 10 fold in the last year alone - 10's of millions have already been sold around the world.

They video-record your journey, which can then be downloaded and emailed to the police or your insurance company. The benefits and cost savings are potentially huge – such as in a no-fault collision, where you can save your no claims bonus and excess, or if you are targeted in a "crash for cash" scam, as thousands now are. A "crash for cash" is where someone deliberately drives in a manner that forces a collision with an innocent motorist.

The camera acts as an independent witness, and having video proof could save you hundred's if not thousand's from your excess charge or if you were to lose your no claims bonus.

The RAC 05 DashCam is pre-set to record in three minutes segments, and when the SD storage card is full, it will simply record over the oldest footage. This means it will record on a continuous loop and therefore the SD card never needs to be removed. If an incident happens, segments can be protected to ensure that footage is not lost or recorded over.

The unit boasts industry-beating video recording capabilities 1269p Super HD - one of the very best available on the market and gives users the confidence that when an on-road incident occur, it is being captured in the best possible quality.

For increased safety the camera also contains a forward collision and lane diversion warning system. It not only monitors the distance of the vehicle in front, if you get too close an alert sounds to warn you, but also monitors the white lines on the road, and if a slow drift over the line is detected, a warning will sound.

Lynn Hayzelden, Head of Retail at the RAC commented: "RAC research has found that dash cams are the most coveted in-car gadget and almost a quarter of motorists think having a dash cam would improve their driving. On top of this, one in five drivers told us they had been in a previous accident and 69 per cent said that if they had a dash cam in a previous incident it would have help solved the issue."

She added: "This new range of dash cams will help motorists have peace-of-mind whilst on the road and deliver them the image quality, robust design and innovative features they have been asking for."

The RAC 05 GPS Super HD Video DashCam key features include:
* GPS enabled for speed camera alerts using PocketGPSWorld.com data
* Lifetime Safety Camera and Speed Alerts
* Forward Collision Warning System
* Lane Diversion Warning System
* Built-in mutable microphone records sound in the cabin
* Built-in GPS system tracks your journey and records speed and location
* Mapping software can display your journey on Google Maps
* Over-speed alarm if you exceed a pre-set speed limit
* Simple menu functions
* Forward facing unit with a 150 degree field of view
* Records in 1296p Super HD Quality
* Can support SD cards with a capacity up to 64 GB
* Screen can stay on, or set to turn off after a few minutes
* 2.7" TFT screen for instant video playback
* Suitable for any vehicle
* Use straight out of the box

The RAC 05 is available to purchase at www.proofcam.co.uk with a 25% discount using the PocketGPSWorld.com code PGPS15. RAC Insurance customers can also save £30 (terms apply) on their annual RAC car insurance premium with the purchase of an RAC DashCam.

OFFER ENDS 9TH NOVEMEBER 2015

Last edited by RobBrady on Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
JimmyR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: RAC 05 GPS Super HD Video Dash Cam Reply with quote

This RAC 05 GPS Super HD Video Dash Cam all sounds very good upon reading the specs and I am after a dashcam but I've never seen an RAC dashcam with a great review. I've searched through many reviews and they are all over the place with one lot suggesting one unit is the bee's knees and other suggesting that the same unit is a turd. Has anyone from PGPSW been testing this new dashcam and if so, what were the pros and cons? My main worry would be over the video quality and we all know that just because it's advertised as 1296p Super HD doesn't mean to say that it doesn't judder or that it can cope with changing lighting conditions etc.

I'd like to place an order tomorrow morning for delivery on Friday but it's a lottery to be first into the water! Confused
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We expect your review by Saturday at the latest then. Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical. I only bought my NextBase 402G a few weeks ago Rolling Eyes

Doesn't say if the warnings are directional. Too late for me now anyway Sad
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,

same here, bought a Transcend 200 for the car last year. GoPro for the bikes.
Never mind, good to see the link up with RAC.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing is that RAC unit and button positions make it look like a 402G.

Can I have a tantrum if it the same ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
The RAC 05 GPS Super HD Video DashCam key features include:
* GPS enabled for speed camera alerts using PocketGPSWorld.com data
* Lifetime Safety Camera and Speed Alerts

I've been thinking about getting a dashcam, and I don't use my TomTom any more because my car has inbuilt navigation, so this sounds very interesting. Can we look forward to a review from the PGPSW team, with emphasis on how the speed camera database and alerts work?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
Can we look forward to a review from the PGPSW team, with emphasis on how the speed camera database and alerts work?

I'm pleased to say that indeed you can, a unit should be with MaFt in the next day or two.
highmead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: RAC dash camera Reply with quote

I assume we can apply the weekly speed camera updates to this RAC dash camera? Question
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: RAC dash camera Reply with quote

highmead wrote:
I assume we can apply the weekly speed camera updates to this RAC dash camera? Question

No, we will provide the updates to Proofcam on a weekly basis, but the updates will be released by them through their own portal using a proprietary update format.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the mo can buy the top spec 07S model for £99 directly from the RAC website (using SKY40 discount code).
I suspect they’re all just generic dashcams under the hood, but which one heaven knows... someone will carry out a teardown soon I’m sure :-)
http://www.racdashcam.co.uk/sky-rac-dash-cam-offer.html
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAC 07S Dash Cam Sky Offer has Full HD (1080p), whereas the one we are offering, the RAC 05 GPS Super HD Video Dash, has Super HD (1296p) and features such as forward collision warning system, lane diversion warning system and a built-in mutable microphone records sound in the cabin.

Both models carry PocketGPSWorld.com speed camera alerts as standard.

The full specs for comparison can be seen at the following links:

RAC 05 GPS Super HD Video Dash Cam http://www.racdashcam.co.uk/cameras/product/rac-dashcam-05.html#tab2

RAC 07S Dash Cam Sky Offer http://www.racdashcam.co.uk/cameras/product/rac-07.html#tab2
kaydee2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Which is better? Reply with quote

But which is the better dash cam - they both offer the speed camera database - their prices and numbering would lead you to think the 07 was a better product - and at £175 against £150 full price, that seems to support that.
With 25% the 05 costs £112.50 but with the 40% off the 07 model is only £99 - need a really unbiased review please!!¬!
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Information on RAC Dash Cams Reply with quote

Good morning everyone,

My name is Natasha and I work for ProofCam. I previously worked for Mio so I hope I can offer some sensible answers and information to your points and questions based on my knowledge of dash cams.

PGPSW will be testing the RAC 05 so you can expect a detailed and impartial review shortly. I have no doubt the review will have emphasis on how the speed camera database and alerts work.

I often find our reviews swing from very good to average and one of the reasons is based on whether the journalist really takes the time to test the dash cam or is already swayed or has preference to a competitor camera. This is always very disappointing for us as we have and continue to spend many hours investing in development. Certainly our license agreement with the RAC demands a high quality camera is manufactured.

I agree with RobBrady's summary -The RAC 07S Dash Cam Sky Offer has Full HD (1080p), whereas the one we are offering, the RAC 05 GPS Super HD Video Dash, has Super HD (1296p) and features such as forward collision warning system, lane diversion warning system and a built-in mutable microphone records sound in the cabin. If you are looking for the highest specification RAC dash cam this is the RAC 05 currently.

We are also launching a rear view mirror camera at the beginning of November which PGPSW will also be testing.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Information on RAC Dash Cams Reply with quote

Just one additional point/s -

The changing light conditions variation(s) is all to do with the sensor and the chipset - you will always get some variations but the Ambarella A7 chip we use in the RAC 05 and 07S copes with it better than any other camera on the market to my knowledge. However, if you test a 1296 dash cam on a miserable rainy day and a 1080 cam on a beautiful sunny day, then obviously the comparison will be unfair - but in like for like conditions it is the best it can be.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: