Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should HGV drivers be fined when they get stuck?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should HGV drivers be fined when they get stuck?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Should HGV drivers be fined when they get stuck? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
An MP is calling for 'Gormless' lorry drivers to be fined when they get stuck after blindly following their satnav.

Ian Liddell-Grainger, Conservative MP for Somerset, speaking in the House of Commons, said lanes were all too often clogged up by lorries that had become stuck after blindly following satnav directions with damage frequently caused.

Should fines be issued to drivers caught out in these cases or is it the responsibility of the haulage companies to equip them with HGV specific systems?

Or is there already sufficient legislation in place to cater for this, surely careless and inconsiderate driving covers much of this?

email icon

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it is as easy as that.

Dispite what we say about using your eyes and ears, I belive that SatNav manufactureres should have a duty of care to provide a device fit for pupose. If they sell a SatNav developed (and sold with the usual premium price don't forget) for the haulage industry and it sends a driver on an inappropriate route then, yes, they should be held to account in my opinion.

Additionally, Road signage. If this has been positioned badly, is just non-existant or has shrubbery obscuring it, local government should be accountable also.

However, If the lorry driver is using an ordinary car pnd, with outdated maps and has ignored all relevant road signage, sad to say but *You're Nicked*.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the number of HGV movements today there are not that many incidents (reported at least) so is it such a problem? Unless it's parked outside your front door of course.

Re. signage... when I were a boy every junction had a finger post listing several destinations on each finger -although many around here simply said Byroad.

Now most of those finger posts are gone and we have signs that are easy to read but often list only what Highways have decided is the single most important destination and it's impossible to navigate without a map or satnav unless one has local knowledge.
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I retired from full time employment I had a part time job in Comet. I would love a £ for every time an HGV driver purchased an ordinary PND rather than fork out for the HGV version (and thats just the drivers who admitted it!).

Yes, the dedicated HGV PND was more expensive, that's because the extra cost of dedicated mapping versus the potential market.

I am afraid that I believe that these drivers should be fined, you should always have the right tools for the job, if you do not then you are responsible for the consequences.

John
peak1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just lorry drivers but drivers of other vehicles, including cars, should be fined as well.

Near were I live there is a ford that has flashing orange lights on the approach, depth marker and big signs warning that there is a ford and to turn around unless you are sure that your vehicle can make it across.

Despite all this, several times a year, the local fire brigade, water rescue unit, etc are called out to rescue someone who has tried to cross when the river is at least 3 feet deep and the car is then washed downstream!

I think all drivers should be fined and made to pay the cost of their rescue if they decide to ignore the signs and then have an accident and need rescuing.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sign 'No wide vehicles' and 'Very narrow road' is a bit vague isn't it?

Lorry drivers are not stupid and know the width of their vehicle so how about the sign saying what width vehicles can be accommodated?

No I'm not a lorry driver!
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was that big a problem, but I suppose some areas will have what look like feasible short cuts, and even the best sat navs will use them.
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On many occasions, OK, slight exaggeration, make that occasionally I ignore PND instructions because of road signs or simply because I do not like the look of the road.

What surprises me is that no PND manufacturer has come up with a slightly off (sorry) voice saying "well, if you are going to ignore me then there is not much use in me continuing" (Note to PND manufacturers, I am happy to negotiate very reasonable terms if you want to use my idea)

John
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but it seems, according to me and others, Garmins seem to occasionally favour narrow roads and actually take you off the main road, down a narrow lane then back to the same main road for no apparent reason.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillboxman wrote:
What surprises me is that no PND manufacturer has come up with a slightly off (sorry)

A bit like Alan Davies' one or even Rob Brydon's (later same clip)
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Rob Brydon; he should do a satnav voice, I would actually pay money for that :-)

John
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is that many narrow roads aren't signed in rural areas or just outside urban areas that many be unsuitable for hgvs.

Many HGV satnavs still sometimes route down these roads. I think the mp in question like many other just hasn't a clue. Usually many drivers are sent to areas and destinations they don't know we'll or know at all so all they have to rely on is ether a map or sketchy directions from the office

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: