Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 3598 or 2599
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

3598 or 2599
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenchy wrote:
Oh. And how do I know what max size microSD card each can take?
(or what size is best to get)
Found a manual for the 3598 yesterday but it was lacing in such detail.

32Gb according to Garmin. However 8Gb should be ample unless you plan on loading more than one map.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a blind guess obviously but I've often wondered whether the 3D buildings feature is the 3598's downfall with regard to locking.

My 2599 has been rock solid.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could well be right

(Think that's the second time I've said that Laughing )

I know many Zumo owners disable 3D as it causes issues.
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You could well be right

(Think that's the second time I've said that Laughing )

I know many Zumo owners disable 3D as it causes issues.

Can you disable it on the 3589?
And do you mean the 3d buildings display or the mentioned elsewhere 3d land view?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the 3D as opposed to 2D display, it's the display of buildings etc in 3D. You can't actually disable it but you can remove the file that provides the info.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D buildings may look fancy but I think the KISS acronym applies when you have a SatNav that is almost constantly processing data when on the move.

TT have been stripping features on newer units and maybe some of them for the good to give more power where it's needed.

Which? published their latest SatNav reviews in this month's mag and yet again Garmin got the top 4 spots with the 2699 gaining the crown.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
tenchy wrote:
Oh. And how do I know what max size microSD card each can take?
(or what size is best to get)
Found a manual for the 3598 yesterday but it was lacing in such detail.

32Gb according to Garmin. However 8Gb should be ample unless you plan on loading more than one map.

I have the 2599 coming today, but realised I forgot to get a card, doh!
It's coming with full Europe, and I plan to be buying the 49 states maps of North America.
Will 8 gig be enough?

Edit: It's like 75p difference, so I'll go for a 16GB.

For others who might be asking the same, I found this:
https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={18331ce0-4af6-11e3-f27b-000000000000}
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with those 49 states 8Gb should have been enough but you'll now have plenty space Very Happy

Do note though, supplemental maps (your NA one for example) don't come with premium content such as junction view or 3-D buildings and terrain. These features only are available on the preloaded maps within your device.

Also only the DVD version can be updated

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={16315fb0-39b2-11de-5dd5-000000000000}
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Do note though, supplemental maps (your NA one for example) don't come with premium content such as junction view or 3-D buildings and terrain. These features only are available on the preloaded maps within your device.

Hmm, that's tedious, and not mentioned anywhere by Garmin in the "our stuff is awesome" pages that I have seen...

Does that include the lane assist?

IS it possible to buy a 2599 with europe and USA pre-installed?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get lane assist as that is part of the map file. The 2559 is available with both map sets.
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You get lane assist as that is part of the map file. The 2559 is available with both map sets.

I did click on that fella on Amazon last night when buying the 2599 to see what that was as it was shown as an option on the 2599.
I really wanted the voice commands, so didn't get that (2559).

Garmin sure like to make life difficult and complex.
In fact, if you go to the UK part of Garmin site, select the Existing range (which is 32: one MORE than the 2015 and 2014 range added together) and choose view all, the 2599 isn't on there! What?
Yet it IS there on the 2014 range page.

I guess I'll stick to what I have, as I am only likely (in foreseeable future) to make one more road trip in the States in 2016, and last time with the TT Go 910 over 4000+ miles I missed two turns, one because I had to drive out of the hire pickup multi storey and the TT hadn't got lock by the time I reached my first junction, and once I took the wrong exit on a freeway as I couldn't work it out well enough from the TT display. The TT rerouted both OK, so the much more regular use UK stuff has to trump that I guess.
But if they just did 2599 with EU and USA I'd snap their hands off. Meh.
billwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

previously had TomTom Live 550 which I was fairly happy with (unresponsive touch screen).
'Upgraded' to Nuvi 2599 LMT-D = terrible unit

The lane information in the map/nav view is not very intuitive & sometimes does not display, when it does you are already into the area.

The routing remains awful, taking random trips off main roads onto tiny backroads for no apparent reason just to rejoin the original road a little later. Worst though on these new units is its insistence on reading out street names when in town. So there you are quite happily following the A6 when this thing starts saying things like "In 200 yards, turn left onto Whatever Street". When trying to find the junction, all of the road signs still say A6 and the Whatever Street name plate is tiny and even facing the other way. Good idea in principle but just doesn't work in practice
Also when on a very busy roundabout at night in a strange area it will similarly say exit at the 5th exit onto Birmingham Rd, unfortunately traffic signs don't usually have road names but will have A123, so in that respect it's VERY frustrating.

Often when leaving a main road leading to a roundabout you will be almost at the roundabout before it instructs you which lane to take.

I have also been passing junctions before the instruction to turn at that junction has been spoken.

Just HATE the Real World directions with a vengeance, can you replace them with ""Normal"" instructions?

It's slow to recalculate route also continually asking you to turn around@~:@~@

I regret buying this unit (Which best buy)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must say I never have any issues following my 2508. Yes, sometimes you get street names where you might like road numbers but I've seen others complain about the opposite.

I've never noticed lane information displaying late or getting instructions once I'm past a junction; generally you get instructions half a mile or so before and then a couple of reminders before you reach the actual junction.

As for real world directions; I'm quite happy with 'turn left at the traffic lights' but if you don't like that select a difference voice. See Settings, Language and Keyboard, Voice language and select one that doesn't say 'Says Garmin real directiuons'
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am watching but I can't join in because I don't use mine for navigation. Mine is for the PGPSW cameras and traffic, both of which it does very well.

I rely on my 2013 Honda Civic built in alpine unit for navigation.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a long time comparing TomTom and Garmin units, and most of the time when one didn't take the optimum route I knew full well existed, the other one also fell foul of the same thing. When one of them had mis-guidance, such as saying turn left, when it was just a continuation of the road, so did the other. There were a couple of instances where the Garmin knew about the same traffic as the TomTom, but failed to offer the best diversion around it saving 17 minutes according to TomTom, but "on the fastest route" according to Garmin. Finally, if either of the devices is not going to take the optimum route it is normally the Garmin.

However, Garmin is feature rich, and the TomTom is missing all those advanced features and choices.

Traffic for TomTom is still better at being timely with identifying problems and not leaving out-of-date old traffic issues for hours after they have gone. But Garmin did improve this since the DAB traffic first appeared.

Has anyone noticed that Garmin do not enable, by default, the routing that uses "known trends" in the traffic behaviour. I found the option disabled out of the box on recent firmwares and units.

As for 3D buildings. TomTom make a big fuss of this and show it in all their screenshots for their new models. They are probably now using it as a selling point differentiator. It looks pretty for sure, but I find the brain doesn't relate building shape quickly when you look up at the street and down at the road, unless you happen to be turning left or right next to The Shard, or The Gherkin etc in London.....

I am currently playing with the Navicam model. The biggest issue is build quality for me. Compared to the 3598, it does feel a lot cheaper. This is because the 3598 is nearly bullet proof. It has a metal casing and it doesn't creak, move, bend...amazingly solid and well built design. The Navicam flexes if you squeeze it, and the speaker (tried 2 of them) can tend to rattle on it's loudest volumes particularly with the "speed cam approaching" warning.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: